The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Is there a Tree Doctor in the house?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, Cyan is looking to us for some guidance. The Guilds are a good way to make a lot of content production and distribution elements somewhat independent from them, to have alongside their usual production. However, even they don't know how we're going to make use of those guilds.

The Guild of Messengers, for instance, have a need for being able to distribute and broadcast newsletters in Cavern. They can either go through the DRC (tedious!) or Cyan could find some way of allowing GoMe to send DRC-style broadcast messages to everyone, with a bit of KI juggling of course.

There's no reason players couldn't exist and organize outside of the guilds, though. They're not required gameplay elements, but I bet they'll make things interesting.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to send in this feature request:
Quote:
Many explorers liked to read Douglas Sharper’s journal and many think it’s a shame that he is no longer writing in it.

I’m aware that Douglas stopped writing in it, when explorers confronted him with the fact that they were all reading his journal which he obviously didn’t like.

So what if Cyan brings in a new journal (a 2008 journal) in which Douglas starts writing and hides it in a place like the Spy Room for example. When the explorers find that out, you can see if the community has learnt their lesson. If the explorers once again confront Douglas with it, you could remove the journal and hide it in another place a few weeks after that. If the explorers confront Douglas with it again, the journal will be gone for a few weeks longer than the previous time and then it will be hide in another place.
Also, when the journal pops up again after it was removed, it should also include a few journal entries from the period the journal was inaccessible. Think of a comment like “Those explorers keep finding my journal… I’ll have to find a new spot for it.”

This will give the explorers something back they used to like that much: Douglas’ sharper. And because Douglas is under the impression that no one reads his journal, because he hides it, he can speak more freely in his journal like he used to do.

I hope it will be implemented. Probably not, but it's worth a try.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea Erik. Actually, I submitted one just like it myself awhile back! I hope it gets implemented, that was definetly one of the core "cool things" that kept people not interested, but up to date with the background of the story. It meant things could be updated to fill in back-story while we were waiting for the episode, and I think that's critical to keep the momentum going in between them.
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik, this is a wonderful idea, indeed Very Happy

And it reminds me immediately on "Nick's office in 3D", maybe someone
of you have seen it these days in the "Creativity" section on the MOUL
forums, please have a look here...

There you can download the office and the "D'ni history puzzle",
where the office originated from and which D'Lanor generously
provided by file sharing... Smile

What I want to express is, that it isn't only Sharper's journal,
it's the depth and the immersion etc. given by those journals,
notes and documents, by more implemented interactions etc.
as wonderfully, exemplary provided in that "history puzzle" and
the "office", that would make the life and exploration in the cavern
so alive, worth digging deeper and deeper and coming down again
and again... but Moiety Jean gave a much better explanation of what
I want to say in the above mentioned thread... I'd like to quote this here

Moiety Jean wrote:
OH! OH! OH! I love it! This one little 10X15ft room makes my heart flutter more than the pod ages and jalak combined.
This is a wonderfully stocked little "age" with all the sort of details I would die to snoop in Uru itself.
It's exactly the sort of area I most wish to see right now in Uru, one that raises as many questions as it answers,
one that gives a tantalizing peek into what the DRC could have been doing, that fleshes out the characters
with tiny insights into their "lives." Such an area seems like it would not be too complicated for Cyan to create,
but it would add an invaluable amount of depth to (and increase our appreciation for) the areas already in the game.

.... Very Happy

Edit: If someone really wants to download the above mentioned files,
you can get them also from my Mediafire account as the download will be
faster than from D'Lanor's Rapidshare... Found out about this service
yesterday through somebody on the MOUL forums... Have fun ... Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the ResEngs wrote:
Hello Erik,

Thanks for the ticket, I'll definitely send it to the developers for their consideration.

Smile
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it got an individual responce rather than the stock reply for suggestions. That sounds like a relatively simple way of keeping people immersed and exploring. Very Happy Very Happy
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!!! Those simple things... Wink I'm so glad, Erik, that they liked
it and thus understood... Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too excited, janaba. Wink Just one person from customer support likes the idea, we don't know what the developers themselves think of it, and that's what matters in the end.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I've had many many "nice idea, we'll send it to the developers" replies, and haven't heard back on any of them yet without massive amounts of badgering follow-up... Wink
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ok, so I'll hope, that many sent similar suggestions, and
that they realize their chance of really making a difference
with such little things, at least... Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to share this with you:
http://www.rivenwolf.net/weblog/?p=532

Warning: it's not very cheerful. After reading this, I felt like the Tree had died long ago, even before Prologue. Could it really be that bad?

I thought it was especially interesting that it seems like we would have entered D'ni through the tunnels initially... It makes sense, since the Shaft and the tunnels were some of the things that were built first... If this is true, I'd agree that that would have been much cooler than the magic link to Relto new explorers are getting now...
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* Uru was not was it was originally intended to be. And I'm sorry that has been so disappointing for so many people.

But I'm tired of these people. The 'old guard', the 'new guard'. I'm tired of hearing about how everyone is so disappointed by the game, the new people, the old people, Cyan, GameTap, UbiSoft, whomever. I'm tired of fingers being pointed at me, fingers being pointed at people pointing fingers, like a bunch of bitter old people sitting on a porch, arguing about whose back hurts the most.

Maybe it's because I'm bad mood today, but my sympathy is at zero right now.

If Uru something that is so disappointing to you, for the love of God go do something else. Don't sit around taking potshots at others because they are enjoying themselves when you did not. Do something you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy.

If you enjoy Uru, just enjoy Uru. There is no need to push your opinion on others who might not. Don't take it as your God-given crusade to defend it or Cyan from anyone. It's not your job to defend Cyan or Uru from its detractors or its own flaws. Play your game and, with dignity, allow others to have their own opinion.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't read that all, Erik, but thanks for pointing to this...
it's interesting and appalling at the same time... poor guy... Razz

And I wholeheartedly agree with you, Blade... no further comments... Very Happy
(except for the sympathy, lol)

Long live Uru!!!
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was very interesting that GS disabled comments on his blog. That screams, "Hey, I have something to say, but I don't want to hear anything anyone else has to say." Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Maybe he's had problems with spam. I'm certain I don't have the whole story. But I found it irritating.

I ended up responding over on Whilyam's blog where comments were allowed. I have no idea if GS will ever see it. But, I believe the points I made demonstrate that GS's argument is built upon an impossible and unprovable premise.

We all have dreams. We can't spend our lives crying because those dreams aren't realized. Complaining will not make those dreams come true.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
I thought it was very interesting that GS disabled comments on his blog.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Razz

I've just read your reply on Whilyam's blog and there's a lot of truth in that. Especially the refusal of the old guard to accept reality. As I said before, that's a very large issue in the Dutch community (much larger than in the international community), and it isn't easy to swim against the stream to keep the Dutch community from destroying itself...
Anyway, your post knocked some sense in me again. We have to be careful not to drown in all those pessimist posts...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: