The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that, Erik! Very cool.

Tonight, I'm invoking our backup plan - I'm going to send copies of the Episode 0 and 1 projects to Professor Askew on DVD (sometimes, you can't beat the bandwidth of the US postal service).
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double poast!

I'm going to drop a little information about the time it takes to do things.

It takes about one minute on average to add each foreign language subtitle to a project. The title has to be positioned, the length aligned, and the contents filled out. Special effects, such as fades or zooms, must be added. Sometimes the contents need to be reformatted or the bounding box needs to be adjusted so everything fits and looks good.

Episode One has somewhere around 60 titles. It takes a little over one hour to add a new language to the project. After that, the video must be written to disk and sent to the translator for verification (another 30 minutes of work on a modern computer). There will always be some changes - the translator thinks of a better word, or the project editor accidentally cuts off a word while cutting and pasting. The translator sends the list of fixes to the project editor, and after about 10 minutes of fixes, that language is ready. The project is written out first as an AVI (produces a nearly 4 gigabyte file) (30 minutes), then the AVI is converted to a WMV using Microsoft's Windows Media 9 Encoder (another 30 minutes). From Premiere, the project is also written out as a QuickTime movie (yet another 30 minutes) and sent to Cycreim to fix for streaming because Premiere doesn't configure streaming correctly.

So, each language on Episode 1 required around 3 to 3.5 hours of time. lot of that time is waiting on Premiere to export the video, but it is still time nonetheless.

None of the above includes the time to make the original English version Wink

Just want you to know what you're signing up for, Professor. I'll ship a DVD to you on Saturday Very Happy
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready!! Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That takes a lot of time! I'm very grateful for the making of the non-English versions. Very Happy

In the meantime, I'll start working on translating Episode 1 (wich has much text!).
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRANSLATIONS UPDATE!

Last week, I sent Episodes 0 and 1 to Professor Askew for adding additional translations. I haven't heard if he's received the DVDs. I'll try to ask him next time I talk to him, if he doesn't answer here first!

I believe I can personally handle more translations, now that I have discovered a work-around that takes away 2/3 of the problems with making translations. This should be a huge time saver.

I know that Erik is interested in Dutch, and we've heard that someone else might be interested in Greek... but I know that at the Uru Live forums there are Italian and Spanish forums too, and there was an Italian/Spanish/English version of Uru. I expect that the Ita-spa-eng version had different sound files for the actors, so I'd like to get a copy of Yeesha's ending speeches for Italian and Spanish, and perhaps we could talk to Albert and Ian Atrus about translations into these languages.

While I cannot guarantee that we'll launch all languages on the same day, now that I've reduced the difficulty of adding more languages, I am a lot more receptive to it.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I received the DVDs. Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Very Happy

Just a sidenote:
I'll use the Dutch Episode Zero to show my mother what Uru actually is about. To explain the IC story. She thinks Uru is a game what puzzles, and in Live you can help each other solve puzzles and give hints... Confused Of course, it's partly true, but Uru has a much more deeper story. So I think Episode 0 is the best way to explain my mother what Uru is all about. Smile

Keep up the good work! Very Happy
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up to Erik's sidenote:

I, too, have used Ep0 to explain to my wife. She had never gotten into the Myst universe because they point-and-click puzzle games aren't her cup of tea... but when I showed her Ep0 (and Ep1) and she learned that there is as underlying social structure, with people who are real people and not NPC's, she's interested in THAT aspect.

Unfortunately, her work schedule may keep her from being in the Cavern herself, but I fully expect that I'll be a bit of a rabble-rouser by proxy for her enjoyment.

heh... like I need any more help causing a ruckus... Cool

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik,

In case you didn't yet... you should send those translations to Professor Askew. Smile
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 'em. Cheers.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck professor! Razz

I'm still translating Episode One, and I've one little question about the word "Ferry Landing", because Landing can be translated in two ways.
Landing can mean:
- a place between two stairs, that could be the place where the pub also is
- a place where goods could be delivered, that could be near the nexus book at the ferry terminal.
So, what is meant with "Ferry Landing"?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landing is being used here in the nautical sense...like a dock....where the ferry boats would pull up and tie to shore. Where the ferry boats "land".
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Professor.

Again, a similar problem!
Phil's "I feel funny. The DRC used to keep a book here", can be translated in two ways:
- he just feels odd (the common translation)
- he feels betrayed (by the DRC)
Sorry that I have to bother you with this, but since it can be translated in two ways, it would be very stupid if I picked the wrong translation.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the first one...feels odd. (Though it's a strange pair of sentences.)
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the translation for Episode One is done.
Now I'm going to do some revision stuff and checking, and then I will send the final translation to you, Professor Askew. Smile

And how is Episode Zero going? Wink

Greets,
Erik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: