The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Atrus is a spoiler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Atrus is a spoiler Reply with quote

Okay... as most of you know by now, I'm a loser that hasn't played Myst III, IV, or V yet. I haven't even finished POTS. After talking to a few folks over the weekend I came to the conclusion that I could just skip over III and IV and go straight to V if I wished to do so.

I finally installed Myst V tonight and sat down to play it. The opening scene where Atrus gives his monologue made me go crazy; I started freaking out and probably looked like an angry monkey. "ATRUS JUST TOLD ME THE ENDINGS TO MYST III AND IV WITHIN THE FIRST 30 SECONDS OF DIALOGUE!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", I screeched to Kevin who was working on his laptop on the futon behind me. He just shook his head and said, "There's a reason why you play the games in the order they're given. Shouldn't have done that."

So to those of you who suggested breezing past III and IV to get to V.... *makes slashing motion across her throat*

Yay. Not playing Myst V for a while. Gotta play the rest first. *dies*

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one can skip over III and IV in the sense that they're relatively modular- Myst, Riven, and the novels all tie in very closely to one another, with Uru forming another pretty discreet unit together with V (although that's the one game I've never played. I'm scared that it might complicate the Uru storyline in weird ways and provide the wrong kind of closure. Embarassed ) Take out Riven, and the other games and novels are missing important parts of the story. Take out IV though, great game that it is, and your plot senses won't be tingling particularly hard. I think that's probably all that was meant.

Sorry you got spoiled though. Wink
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. What we meant to say was that it was alright to play EoA as long as you skip Atrus' opener. Embarassed I've played the game several times and I STILL don't remember what he says.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't played Myst III, and in my opinion the story elements from Myst IV seemed hacked in there, so really... whether you get it from atrus or Myst IV, I don't really think there's that much difference (except it's longer and more frustrating to get it out of Myst IV).

Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Oops. What we meant to say was that it was alright to play EoA as long as you skip Atrus' opener. Embarassed I've played the game several times and I STILL don't remember what he says.

Laughing

I think I'm finding this more amusing than anything.

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I guess I'm the odd man out. I really liked III, and didn't really get into IV at all. It just didn't seem to fit with the others thematically.

But yeah, they just tie up loose ends with Atrus' family. EoA (V) actually does relate and refer to the Uru events. It occurs between Prologue and Uru Live, but Cyan is being rather tight lipped about how exactly it will affect the on-going saga. So besides seeing some of the Ages originally intended for Uru, it might not hurt to go through it at least once so you know the story line...

~Rils
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, V contains some journals that expects that you played III and IV, and upon reading them you will be seriously spoiled.

Is that a late warning? Oops...

Also, one event that is mentioned in the intro (and you should immediately know what I'm talking about) you won't need to trip over... you'll never see it happen in the games... which is good.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
See, I guess I'm the odd man out. I really liked III, and didn't really get into IV at all.

Think we've talked about this in the cavern Rilsy old bean, but I'm with you on that. Although I found Riven the best in terms of artistry I had the most fun playing III. Never finished IV. That darned spider chair destroyed my will to live. Rolling Eyes

Poor Saxy Razz
Have fun ordering those Bahro around!

I wish scratching stuff on slates made all powerful reality bending creatures do my bidding in the real world. Mostly folks just yell at me to get off their roofs... Confused
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcosgrove wrote:
I wish scratching stuff on slates made all powerful reality bending creatures do my bidding in the real world.

(Soup Nazi voice) No tablet for you!
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad darnit! Why do people always object to my attempts to alter the underlying structure of the universe?!

I have only one more thing to say: Bosco
ghaelen
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I don't feel so bad at all now. I'm almost done with III and I HAVE IV and V......
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcosgrove wrote:
Mad darnit! Why do people always object to my attempts to alter the underlying structure of the universe?!

Hey, you leave the universe alone, it never did nuthin to you...

poor universe, always getting blamed for everything, come here... ::pats it on the head::

dcosgrove wrote:
wish scratching stuff on slates made all powerful reality bending creatures do my bidding in the real world. Mostly folks just yell at me to get off their roofs...

My mind (as in most things) goes immediately to the Simpsons...

Cletus (sitting on top of a phone pole) - "Hey, I could cood call my ma from up here... HEY MA!!! GET OFF THE DANG ROOF!!!!"
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinkin about going back to the very beginning and replaying every game, start to finish, in chronological order, just for the heck of it. The only thing stopping me is the fact that my realMyst is still on loan to a friend. Gotta get that back...
MOULa KI: #10750831
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got realMyst back for everyone who was worried. Very Happy
MOULa KI: #10750831
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a copy of that for a long time, never managed to get my hands on one though... <sigh>

~Rils Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: