The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Working With the Guild of Explorers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Working With the Guild of Explorers Reply with quote

I just posted this at Deg's Guild of Explorers forum:
Quote:
Hey, Deg!

Pursuant to our brief conversation at Mysterium, I would like to start a dialogue between The Great Tree and the D'ni Explorer's Guild regarding the Prologue film documentary project. It's a big undertaking and the Guild's participation would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a LINK to the Great Tree discussion. Feel free to add your two cents. I hope you like what you see so far.

Also, I am going to post a new thread about the possible structure going forward for the project. Let me know what you think of that as well.

Hope to see you there!

Apparently the idea of documenting the Prologue had recently occurred to Deg so I thought it would be great for the community if the two groups worked together to produce this massive thing. So, hopefully Deg will be reading this soon while we continue to move forward.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting that you posted this. I've been quite involved in the Explorers Guild since the days of Prologue. I sent Deg an email just this morning in regards to some stuff we're working on, and mentioned the film project over here and the possibility of including it. Very cool to hear that the two groups may get to work together on it!

~Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't have happened, Rils, if you hadn't mentioned a mutual Explorer's Club. Speaking of which, I still haven't poasted about that.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I missed more at Mysterium than just seeing the Riven props in real life! New friendships lead to new ideas and collaborations, wish I coulda been there!

So, err, what else came of these discussions? "Explorer's Club", eh?

~Rils
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're directing members of other Uru-based communities to this documentary-making forum hoping for volunteers, we might want to change the name of the forum. "The Story of The Great Tree" might not generate interest from outside communities; they might think our ultimate goal is to tell our story and not the story of the Prologue.

/shrug

Just might turn off potential volunteers.

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxy wrote:
Quote:
they might think our ultimate goal is to tell our story and not the story of the Prologue.

The difference is negligable. Cool
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Saxy wrote:
Quote:
they might think our ultimate goal is to tell our story and not the story of the Prologue.

The difference is negligable. Cool

*lol*

Sure, for us, but other people might not care to tell something that's titled as the story of a particular group. I'm pretty indifferent; it was just a thought.

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxy's got a point. I guess it depends on the point of what we're doing - are we documenting TGT's early days, or the general synopsis of prologue? Cuz while the difference is subtle, it is there. The majority of the story is the same, but the method by which the story is told makes all the difference in the world. A "History of Uru" would be much more objective than a "History of TGT". One isn't better than the other, it's just a difference in point of view. This point of view affects the writing, and therefor the whole course of the project.

I honestly don't remember what it was we set out to do originally...

~Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we do, IMHO, should depend on what has been done, or at least what is anticipated to be done. As far as I know, we're the only group doing a video documentary of the prologue at all, so it seems like we'd better serve the community by being as objective as we reasonably can.

If, on the other hand, the guild of explorers wanted to go and do their own thing, then I'd feel more free to make this personal.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rils wrote:

Remove barriers. Smile
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are telling the story of The Great Tree. Most, if not all, of the chat logs at our disposal deal with Sharper, Henderson, DRC and members of The Great Tree. These chatlogs also include Explorers who did not join TGT so I guess we're telling their story as well. I'm sure there are chat logs out there with DRC members and Explorers at large but I have never seen them. If there is documentation that supports broadening our scope then I'm sure we can revisit our purpose. In the meantime, it's the Story of The Great Tree and anything and anyone that touched it.

I have not heard from Deg yet and I'm not sure how often he checks his board. If he decides to join forces with us we will discuss this issue with him before pressing on. He may decide that this project isn't for the Guild of Explorers. We will cross that bridge when we come to it. This process will remain friendly. I have great respect for Deg and the Guild. I don't care if the films are politically charged but Explorer relationships will remain friendly at least until Live is well on its way. This is certainly not the time to be devisive.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Rils wrote:

Remove barriers. Smile

Smart ash... Wink

Prof answered my question, and I'm fully on board with that! Just so long as the scope of the project is clear - it isn't a full blown history of Uru, it's the story of our group, and just one story among many. As such, going back to the original question, I wouldn't see why people would be turned away by that. If they want to help us, they will; if they don't, they won't. Simple as that!

I don't know how often Deg is there, maybe a couple times a week. We haven't been as active over there lately as we used to be. He'll get there eventually though.

~Rils
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, everyone!
'Twas great meeting you in person, Professor.

Let's get this project started! Smile

Cheers,
- Deg -
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great meeting you, too, Deg. Now we're cooking with gas! (Sorry, kids, old expression.)

I'm going to continue this conversation in the structure thread.

Seeya over there!
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(waits until everyone is gone)

Hehe, I'm tempted to lock this thread... just because! But that's so against our nature.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: