The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

DRC Casting Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should actors play the DRC on D'mala with limited resources or on another shard where the "make-up kits" are more complete and could more accurately represent the DRC?
D'mala
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Other Shard
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 21

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Also, we can do interesting things with non-D'mala sequences like making them still pics only, black & white, etc.

That's where I'm casting my vote. Still pictures only from non-D'mala sources.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only concern with making it too close to life is that our drive for accuracy might overshadow the stories themselves, or what we're trying to do with this project. Let's not pull a Star Wars here and make our special effects dominate the stories of our films.

If this isn't an issue with you guys that's okay, though.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Cycreim. Just looking for the right balance between content and aesthetics.....leaning toward content.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm obviously leaning toward aesthetics.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Question Question

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with CJ on this one. Use both.

And someone has video footage of Phil's accident...I know I saw it recently.

Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! We just need to get Industrial Light & Magic interested in the project and it wouldn't matter what clothing the avatar wore. Need a scene with a few people wearing GT jackets and Laxman in the shot on D'mala? No problem Smile

Seriously though, I think using D'mala for the main shard is the best way to handle it. More people can participate, and it will draw much more attention. If you need help for some special shots, myself, Weldergeek, or a'moaca' can be available for those on the GT shard.

Ashtar
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ashtar.
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taniith wrote:
I think having them be more acurate is more important just so it isn't confusing. Also, speaking of acuracy, if it is done on another shard, then things like the jackets and Sharper's hat will be available.

I'd have to agree with this statement. I believe that it's more important that the documentary appears accurate as opposed to being more authentic, especially if the trade-off for environment authenticity is visually unauthentic character actors.

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want to be able to show Laxman and Engberg (for example) at their worst... and have people recognize them.

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question... didn't avatars from the DRC have special face textures, or was that something only in beta?
I kind of like the idea of doing our work on the GT shard where we can (presumably) manipulate whatever we need to. I'm curious what D'mala offers us that GT shard doesn't, besides having other people around to witness...
D'mala is not the actual shard in which these events took place, so in my mind it's not really any more authentic. It does give some of us (AnnaCat) access to filming, which is important. But I do feel that having accurate visual representations is just as important (if not more so) than being in the public eye as we do this.
I like the greater measure of control we will have if we film on another shard. If we have shots that are pretty generic (crowds, scenery, etc) I say we should go ahead and film on D'mala, but I'd personally feel better filming some characters elsewhere, where we can get them accurate enough to film closely.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fence-sat on this issue a bit, and I still do, but I personally believe that D'mala is still quite do-able. Media shows often do "dramatic re-enactments" and of course the actors never look exactly like the original people. But they look close enough.

Somewhere earlier in this discussion, or in another one close by, I'm certain that I mentioned we can go onto the GT shard and take "still photographs" of all DRC members. We can then transition from those photos to the actors for the live segments of the video.

I like the idea of filming on D'mala and keeping this project in the public eye. Also, we'll have participants from the original Prologue there; those people may not have accounts on the GT shard and may not be enthusiastic about setting up an avatar there.

But at the end of the day, I could still go either way - D'mala or GT shard. But here's an idea that could perhaps settle this question...

Because we know that GreyDragon is very enthusiastic about the project, why not ask for his opinion? You never know... we might just find a little help on D'mala now that we've got his attention.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycreim's main contention for filming on D'mala was to include as many Explorers in the project as possible even if they're only watching the proceedings and I agree with him one hundred percent. We will, however, film at GT where necessary to achieve the effects we need to accomplish our goal.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arguments either way are all very good.

I suppose I feel that, had I not been able to experience any of Prologue, I would want to see not just a dramatic reenactment, but a film that I could trust was extremely accurate in its detail, so that I feel after watching it that I am as informed as it's possible to make me (no jokes, please
Twisted Evil ). If we can achieve that working in D'mala, I'm all for it.

The other, more minor argument I have against working in D'mala is that it is generally more crowded. Having others around will cause us to suffer more issues with stuttering and lag. Closed sets offer the advantage of fewer distractions, crowd control, et cetera.

As far as sound for our videos, are we considering mostly music, or will we need some foley work? I enjoy working with sound, but I'm not sure I have any programs which would allow me to manipulate sound in synch with a video (would maybe need something with timestamps).

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: