The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

DRC Casting Poll
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should actors play the DRC on D'mala with limited resources or on another shard where the "make-up kits" are more complete and could more accurately represent the DRC?
D'mala
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Other Shard
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 21

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: DRC Casting Poll Reply with quote

In much of what we want to film to document the story of The Great Tree, the DRC's presence is mandatory. Cycreim and I have had a discussion or two regarding the issue of shooting location and DRC representaion.

Even in the context of documentary, I thought it would be a better representation to film members of the DRC outside of D'mala where the "make-up rooms" had the facility to make actors more closely resemble members of the DRC.

Cycreim is concerned that such an approach would lessen the legitamacy of the documentary and remove the possibility of the Explorers enjoyment of seeing the filming take place and involving them first hand.

This is an extremely valid argument and I have been leaning his way. But, I'm still curious, now that we're getting closer to production, what the rest of you think about this issue. This not a voting poll but an opinion poll.

Cycreim, please elaborate on your thoughts on this issue if I haven't accurately represented them.
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked What exactly does "yes" and "no" mean here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should actors play DRC on D'mala..? (Yes) or utilize another shard..? (No)

I thought "Should" was a yes/no question.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing it on another shard is the only way to truly re-create the environmental variables as well as character resemblences and actions.

The video of Phil's climb onto the Guild Hall is a good example of how the fan shards can be utilized. I would say its almost essential that it is done this way to re-enact the events... so long as they are legitimate. Very Happy

I changed your Poll answers to be a little more clear. Hope that's cool with you, Prof. Wink
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Daedalus. Very Happy
taniith
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having them be more acurate is more important just so it isn't confusing. Also, speaking of acuracy, if it is done on another shard, then things like the jackets and Sharper's hat will be available.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points, taniith. Thanks for your imput.
Anna Catherine
Folklorist
Folklorist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have a fair bit of leeway on the appearance thing-- these are actors recreating an event, after all, and I think that'll be understood. We'll have to introduce the characters anyway or new people won't have a clue who they are. I think it would be fine if they looked a bit different than the real people.

On the other hand, having the extra stuff is fun. So it could work either way.

I only have access to D'mala, though, so if we do decide to do it on another shard I have to withdraw my volunteer-ness. Sorry! But that isn't a big deal. Smile

If we want the filming process as well as the videos to be accessible to others, we should do it on D'mala. Of course, there's always the possiblity of people getting in the way or ruining takes. So that kind of cuts both ways. I think people would be respectful of what we're trying to do if we explained it, though; I don't think they'd mess it up on purpose.

Annacat
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are this:

All of the documentary filmwork involving "recreations" with avatar interactions should take place on D'mala. In that, I do not disagree with Cycreim.

That said, it is OK to use the closet on fan shards to get some very basic shots of what the particular people really look like. We could take still shots and turn them to black and white or something for dramatic effect, give a little status on how the person is today (e.g., Dr. Watson: Missing in Action). From there, we can fade from the photograph to the actor playing the part. That's also when we put up the "dramatic re-enactment" disclaimer. Smile

The only special environmental effect we need to worry about is Phil's accident. We could film new footage on a fan shard, but it would need to be introduced as historical footage and not as a recreation because none of us can really get up to the guild hall and kick the dust up like it really happened. In my opinon, we should avoid recreating this effect because it robs authenticity from our operation. In our midst, we have a person who captured live footage of the actual event... and we should capitalize upon that instead. We can "recreate" around that, but use the original footage of the dustcloud only so that there's no "funny business" accusations.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've been a little unclear about one aspect of this discussion. For me, it's never been an either/or thought process. Even when imagining making use of other shards, I have never discounted utilizing D'mala whenever possible. Unfortunately, I don't think I ever said that out loud. LOL. So please don't worry, Annacat, the project isn't going anywhere. Wink

The vote is still pretty close on this issue. My conscious is still leaning towards Cycreim's D'mala-only policy while my creative side is still telling me that a few shots on another shard for more accurate portrayals and camera angles would be great, too. We'll keep the poll open and gather more opinions...Production on Episode One will start very soon. We have no need of anything outside of D'mala except maybe the images of Laxman in the Nexus. Marten, I love your idea of incorporating still shots into the work. What great documentary doesn't include photographs? None, I tellya! And these shots of Laxman are a perfect example of how this can be used.
Bogardan Mage
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isn't out of line or anything, but might the DRC be open to playing themselves? They'd just be reenacting history, mostly, and think what it'd do for GT/DRC relations if they actually took part in this project!
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC, Bogarden, Cyan's pretty durn busy at the moment- they have a beta test to prepare for and a game to get ready for this Christmas. I'd be surprised if we got any of them.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that thought has occurred to me now and again but I don't think it's a realistic option.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Mala vs. other shards?

That's like asking Speilberg if he wants to film on location or just use special effects? The answer is BOTH.

I know we're striving for accuracy in all things, but I seriously think there is more to Sharper than his hat. Plus, having other folks around to watch the filming of a documentary is a huge plus in the interest it's going to create. And the interest generated far outwieghs whether the green fleeces have the GT logo or not. IMO

I vote for what was said earlier... use D'Mala for general filming as the sound-stage and on-location... and if you need the magic of another shard for special effects, go for it!

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's been my thought all along, CJ, that we can, and shoukld, use both. Thanks for the input. Obviously the D'mala wardrobe department has enough in its inventory to accurately recreate Phil and Sharper so that's not an issue at all. The DRC, on the other hand, would be a little more difficult.

It looks like Episode One will be 98% D'mala except for some overhead photography for the opening and a brief sequence with Laxman in the Nexus. As new scripts are created we may tailor them so as to keep the ratio high in favor of D'mala. Also, we can do interesting things with non-D'mala sequences like making them still pics only, black & white, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: