The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Zero - "The Beginning"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie wrote:
you make it sound like the DRC are the bad guys.

It's not for us to say, Robbie. Wink

And welcome to The Great Tree!
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness, no, why would you get that impression?
Twisted Evil

Episode 2 should be ready in a few weeks. Remember that these episodes are true to what really happened... and judge for yourself.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion: Remastering of Episode Zero

In the effort to clean up some small legal issues surrounding Episode Zero, here's a list of Episode 0 images & sources not from within Uru or Myst V:

0:20 - cracked planet. I don't know where this is from. If we cannot use this, perhaps we can get one of our artists here to replace it with something original.

I'm not so worried about the explosion clip; it's so short.

I understand Cycreim would like to replace the whole sequence with something hand-animated. That would be cool.

0:28 - OK - Map of Garternay - Confirmed to be of Cyan Worlds origin. Originally from "Riven Journals" #4 puzzle; appears at http://www.dpwr.net/illustrated/rivnotin.php and can be found in use at http://journals.riumplus.com/journal4/entry.html

Here is the Garternay image with the rest of the red stamp intact, and the background cleaned of extraneous text. Smile My suggestion is to use this updated version in the rework. http://marten.treeweasel.com/Uru/garternay_clean.png

0:48 - three images. Background image is of Gehn's desk from Riven. Pen Nib at upper left is from DRCSite. Those should be no problem. However, the ink well at lower right is of an islamic inkwell; we should find a replacement image.

1:10 - image of Earth is of unknown origin, not sure if this matters; again, this could be replaced with original artwork.

2:30 - We've got official permission for the Veovis painting to be used here, right? Anyone? Bueller? I want to be certain this is OK.

3:01 - image of cleft, origin unknown - honestly, I have no idea where this image comes from.

Other issues:

We should get the Yeesha superimposed upon Relto picture replaced or cleaned up.

Cycreim wants to make the Episode 0 video feel more like thumbing through an explorers' notebook, or a "montage of illustrations that explains the backstory."

I like the idea but want to caution about spending too much effort reworking Episode 0 when we really need to focus our efforts on the Episodes we haven't done yet.

Change "New Beginning" to "New Start" in English version for consistency with DRC site translation. However, this text does not need to be changed in translations because the intended meaning is the same.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
0:48 - three images. Background image is of Gehn's desk from Riven. Pen Nib at upper left is from DRCSite. Those should be no problem. However, the ink well at lower right is of an islamic inkwell; we should find a replacement image.

This shot has always been a bit blurry, and not very clear...
I think only Gehn's desk will do the job. It has all the equipment: the blank book, the pen, the ink. I think that that'll give people a better understanding.

I also found a picture of Gehn's desk with higher quality at DJC.

Just a suggestion though. Wink
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original picture used is probably not too blurry. But it's been piped through Flash, then Windows movie maker, then Premiere, then Windows Media Encoder or QuickTime Encoder. Too many steps.

I'm hoping to acquire the original images and video clips from Professor Askew and I should be able to put things together without the Flash + WMM steps.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is the Garternay image with the rest of the red stamp intact, and the background cleaned of extraneous text. My suggestion is to use this updated version in the rework. http://marten.treeweasel.com/Uru/garternay_clean.png

I've never seen these Riven Journals before, they're pretty cool! What is their origin? And just a note, according to this page of the Riven Journals, the map isn't actually Garternay... It's the world Alvino traveled to and was killed.
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Riven Journals were a promotional lead-up to the release of Riven. As far as I am aware, they are not canon (I believe some of the information in the journals contradicts material in Riven)... I recall that their creation was farmed out by Cyan & Broderbund to another company or group, so some errors were bound to creep in.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, that might be interesting to ask about then. In what I've read so far, nothing has seemed to contradict in-game material, it just kind of expounds on it... We should ask somebody, just for kicks. I'll write GD or somebody at the MOUL site.
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I've been thinking this over and with assignments and all I really don't think I'll have time to do the illustrations until, like, mid-February. I'll barely even have time to watch TV, let alone draw the things I want.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've completed an initial pass at revising Episode Zero. Two changes: The map and Ronay description scene, and the Gehn's Desk scene, have been cleaned up. Everything else is the same. Overall, I'd rather spend my time creating new content than revisiting and George Lucasing over the old. If Cycreim has some revised art I might add that later, but not now.

The important thing is that any outstanding legal issues regarding this episode should now be in check as I've removed one image that could have caused a problem. I'm not going to replace the download files until I know if Cycreim wants to do anything else.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of a way to redo the dead planet scene.. Wonder if I can pull it off..

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath until I've actually sent you the image files, Marten. I'm notoriously distr-- brb
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ & Cycreim:

I think I've resolved the most likely "intellectual property" issues in Episode 0 at this time. The one remaining piece is the sequence with the dying planet.

I have no clue if that planet image is copyrighted by someone else. So if I were to replace only one thing in the episode with handcrafted goodness, that would be it.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm done for now with my Tsogahl stained glass entry I'll get crackin on my idea for fixing the planet. I'll fix it. Fix it reaaaal good. Twisted Evil

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode Zero with all assets of unknown origin except the exploding planet removed or replaced. I didn't want to alter the integrity of Professor's excellent work so enhancements to the film are minor. A few pictures that were framed with black backgrounds now have a picture behind them, fades are adjusted in a few places, and the image of Yeesha over Relto has been touched up a little (reduced green fringing). There is also a subtle change during Yeesha's speech at the end.

http://marten.treeweasel.com/Uru/Ep0rev2.mov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: