The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

So, when URU live is back...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterwabbit
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: So, when URU live is back... Reply with quote

...will the D'mala shard still be up and running for those too, uh, economically desparied. Or is it going to be a Gametap-only thing from then on?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to believe that once UruLive returns, everything about Until Uru will be shut down. Especially now that it looks like fan-generated Ages will eventually be accepted into the mainstream game. Fan-run shards competing for Explorer's attention doesn't make sense.

This is all guess-work on my part. I could be completely wrong.
Masterwabbit
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, I found something interesting that Moke stated. It's on the DRC site, and, if I read the chatlog correctly, he states that sign-up for Gametap isn't necessary! W00tness!
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterwabbit wrote:
Wait a minute, I found something interesting that Moke stated. It's on the DRC site, and, if I read the chatlog correctly, he states that sign-up for Gametap isn't necessary! W00tness!

Yeah, but that's not saying that UU will remain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterwabbit wrote:

I think what Moke means is that true, you don't have to signup for Gametap. But if you want Uru Live content, then you will still have to signup for some kind of subscription.

As to the status of the individual shards, I really don't know at this point. Cyan hasn't indicated either way on if they will be allowed to remain online. I have a feeling that at some point we will get a message letting us know the Auth server will be shutdown, and *Poof*, that will be the end of Until Uru.

But that was the point really. The shard owners kept Uru alive Until Uru could return. We have proudly fulfilled that function and I have throughly enjoyed running the shards. But like the rest of you, I look forward to the return of Live Smile

Ashtar
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, later on he states that the price will be just under $10. But it's the same price with or without Gametap, from what I can tell, so you might as well go the whole way...

And I agree with Ashtar. While UU hasbeen fun, it has always been something to fill the time until Live came back. Once we have that, I don't plan on using the UU shards. I understand that some folks are against paying for an online game subscription, but 10 bucks a month isn't really that much. That's equivalent to one movie ticket, and if you drink one latte a week yer spending more than that in a month. I think I can sacrifice that for new Uru content and hardware! Wink

~Rils
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems this compulsion amongst some that you can't have UU and Live2.

Why not?

Thats like saying you can only like one meal.

The majority of explorers will no doubt dive with gusto into Live2 and I will be joining them. Live2 will no doubt become a favourite and the price is within range.

But give up UU I just can't see why it would be a requirement. Ok eventually UU and Live2 will grow apart but surely killing off the private shards sounds spiteful.

If live2 lives up to it's hype (and I am not saying it won't) then the chalenge it faces from UU is comprable to the mosquito on the elephants rump.

Cyan have announced they are taking back control of the authentication server and I have no doubt this is to establish an element of control on the private shards. But they are supporting the transfer of Kagi Keys (ok no new ones) but they are even offering to change passwords.

http://www.cyanworlds.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000804
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J'Kla,

Glad you could join us here on The Great Tree forum Smile

If you look closely, you'll notice all of the conversation above your post dates from before Cyan's May 31 announcement on the future of Until Uru.

Cyan's continued support of UU is a very good one to see. Obviously they cannot encourage it to grow much more, because that could involve requiring additional support beyond the infrastructure they've already devoted to it, and it really wouldn't have been unreasonable to say "Hey, we have to feed our own mouths... we need to encourage people to focus on Uru Live and reduce distractions." So based upon those points, some of us speculated that UU would end, but we know now happily that it won't, and it will be interesting to see what happens. As our esteemed Professor Askew said, "This is all guess-work on my part. I could be completely wrong."

The future is both bright, and uncertain. Gotta wear shades! Cool
J'Kla
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if it looked like a criticism It was as allways just me trying to draw attention to a general malaise.

The great tree was and is one of the few places thats been activly plugging new content for UU. Here I am specifically thinking of the alcugs shard.

I also really did want to point out the thread in D'ni Guilds forum where they are transfering Kagi Keys.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm glad that Cyan posted they would keep the UU shards going even when Live came online. I know there is a diverse community out there, and some prefer visiting their friends on a private shard. And as you pointed out, not everyone will be able to afford Live right away. But as a shard owner, it's also my duty to do what's best for Cyan also. So I've been trying to encourage people who use my shard to move over to D'mala and eventually the Live servers. The free shards won't bring home the paychecks Smile

As to the Alcugs servers, if Cyan does incorporate the Tpots content like they have indicated I imagine it will be done as it was meant to be. The puzzles in those ages were never designed for single player and Cyan had to make some major compromises for that use. I would rather visit those ages as they were meant to be played, not as it is now. So most likely when Live starts and I know for sure that the Tpots content will be included, I will most likely shutdown my Alcugs servers. It's not something I want to do, but having two competing storylines would not be the best idea Smile

Ashtar
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember what UU actually means?

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Brian, always straight to the point.

Actually, I've been fascinated by the shock and dismay of a number of people at the possible loss of the private UU shards. I haven't checked but I assume (and hope) that this lamenting is coming from shard owners who have put a lot of time (and money?) into running and maintaining their server(s) for the benefit of our fellow Explorers. If said lamenting is coming from the Explorers themselves, I say......wha?
J'Kla
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like if someone wants to tell a different story from the official line they are to be ostracised.

It is allways good to know who will stand and who will capitulate.

We allready have two stories in the cavern Yeesha and the DRC.

Before anybody starts on me I am not trying to do down Cyan they invented a universe and a universe is universaly big humungous even.

Big enough for billions of stories.

The fan licence says as long as writers don't tread on the storylines of Cyan and undertake to remove anything that conflicts. As long as nobody but Cyan profits from their universe. Finaly only electronic media is allowed we are free to muse in the Myst universe.

I have asked and been told directly by a top Cyan representative that they expect the community to self police this arangement.

I personally believe the virtual universe is strong enough to pay the paychecks of Live2 and anybody who believes that the private shards are ever going to threaten the livelyhood of the most inspirational writers of the digital world.

Well lets say I won't be counting on them to assess the futures market.

The private shards have finite membership governed by the original number of Kagi Keys sold. A number of these are lost forever. Cyan have declared as is their right not to issue any more.

If it is any help to those of you who would see the private shards shrivel and die.

Please think of us as the Amish of the Myst universe. A small sect bent on preserving a time between Live and Live2 where a few were gathered in cyberspace to preserve the Uru community during the dark times when the great seers at Cyan were reduced to only two.

Till that great future visionary GameTap saw profit to be made from the scattered followers and saw that in their rush to hand their money to this great visionary the called were prepared to trample the guardians of the story to dust lest they contaminate the new story.

Ok. Joking aside I quote myself "Mosquito and Elephants rump." Very Happy

PS if Cyan don't have a problem with this why should anybody else?
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J'Kla,

I don't believe anyone here has a problem with the private shards or the Age Builders. Nobody here has expressed a wish that the private shards die. Several of us have expressed skepticism that the private shards would live past the restart of Uru Live, but skepticism is not the same thing as wishing they were dead.

Please understand that we (The Great Tree) have some emotional attachments specific to the original Prologue story; the conflict between Sharper and the DRC is how our group came to be. We are eager to see how this story will resume or conclude with the return of Uru Live.

While the efforts that you and other Age Builders are embarking upon are indeed commendable, and I'm certain that the stories you will write will be rich and involving, I suspect that those stories cannot ever be as near and dear to our hearts as the one that gave birth to our tight-knit group.

If that bothers you, I'm sorry but it's just the way things are.
Bogardan Mage
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J'Kla wrote:
So it sounds like if someone wants to tell a different story from the official line they are to be ostracised.

Why should every explorer and his dog be able to make up their own storyline? Were you able to make up random storylines in Prologue? Would you have been able to make up random storylines had Uru Live continued? Even if they did nothing to harm the official storylines, I strongly suspect that the community response would have been roughly the same. You have lost nothing, you've only gained two years in which to do your storyline thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: