The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

New Machine--New Myst V

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: New Machine--New Myst V Reply with quote

Wow!

When Myst V came out there was talk about what the game looked like on various machines. At the time I felt very lucky I had the PC I did compared to others who were not really seeing the bubble effect, the water on Noloben, and especially the graphic quality and movement of Esher and Yeesha. I was pretty happy with the graphics. The characters looked good if not a little jumpy now and then. The Noloben water was beautiful and the grass swayed in the wind. I really thought I was up to speed where EoA's requirements were concerned.

Since that time I have built a new machine. I won't go into a lot of tech detail except to tell you that the machine is running on an Athlon xp3800+, 1 gig of RAM, and here's the kicker.....twin 256mb nVidia geForce 6800 GT video cards in SLI mode. I cranked all the settings to max and holy cow!!!! It's like another game. Truly. K'veer is jaw-dropping. It also makes the Bahro look much more convincing. Todelmer is crisp, crisp, crisp. It's just gorgeous.

So, my advice is never throw out your old games. Because when you upgrade the machine, you upgrade the game.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myst V on a sweet machine:

Todelmer, Tahgira, Noloben, Direbo, D'ni = Surprised

Laki = Crying or Very sad
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. It's funny that you say that. The first time I played EoA I went through the entirety of D'ni first. Don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know. From there I hopped around the Ages and ended with Todelmer.

This time around I'm playing "in order"...D'ni, Age, D'ni, Age, etc. It makes the game much more interesting. However, when you play this way, the final Age you visit is Laki. Not exactly what I call ending on a high note.

Pooor Laki. Poor little cartoon-looking Age.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laki could have been so much more! It's a shame they had to rush it.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked Laki Confused
weldergeek
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
LOL. It's funny that you say that. The first time I played EoA I went through the entirety of D'ni first. Don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know. From there I hopped around the Ages and ended with Todelmer.

This time around I'm playing "in order"...D'ni, Age, D'ni, Age, etc. It makes the game much more interesting. However, when you play this way, the final Age you visit is Laki. Not exactly what I call ending on a high note.

Pooor Laki. Poor little cartoon-looking Age.

I played the game in the same order Prof Wink I wanted to make sure I had covered every square inch of d'ni before I ran off to the other ages. Myst 5 looked pretty good on my system (AMD Athlon 64 3000, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X700 Pro w/ 256 MB)
I actually liked Laki though Smile No, it isn't as pretty as the other ages but it was fun and I liked the puzzles. Being the first age that I did in M5 it was a good place to start.

~Weldergeek
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the same way, finishing the GS first. Laki is the age at the end, so naturally I started there.

Luckily I finished.

So in order; D'ni, Laki, Todelmer, Noloben, Tahgira in terms of visits. I finished Noloben last, quite proudly.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd, I know a lot of folks don't like Laki'ahn, but I did. Reminds of those pictures of the Seychelles, one of my top 5 place to visit.

Originally I turned the video settings down when I first played it, as my machine is good but not top of the line. I went back and played it again a few months later, and turned everything up as far as it would go. What a huge difference it made, just going from mid-line to 11 on the scale! Made it so much more immersive, so much more incredible...

~Rils
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: