The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Phil Henderson and the Future of the DRC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Phil Henderson and the Future of the DRC Reply with quote

I posted this over at the DRC Forum:
Quote:
Actually, this is a very interesting point. Many of us explorers are very much aware what happened to Dr. Watson when we stumbled upon his journal during our own explorations. He stated his own feelings quite clearly but the DRC didn't really figure into it...directly.

I agree with cj...Watson's journey is probably long over. If it's not, if he's still down there pursuing answers, pursuing Yeesha, maybe, then he's been a busy fella, one up on Sharper and perhaps even Phil Henderson. If he HAS completed his journey, where does he stand with the DRC? DOES he stand with the DRC? He was the leader of the whole shootin' match. But, we heard from Laxman before the DRC pullout and now we're hearing from him again.

I know everyone is very excited over this possible return of the DRC. I am, too...but I have reservations. I want answers regarding Phil Henderson. Phil was a wonderful man with a lot to share...albeit obliquely. I do not believe Phil died that day at the Guild Hall. I can't explain why I know this...let's just say I've been highly affected by my own personal journeys and exploration.

I'm not sure if the DRC should investigate Phil's disappearance completely on their own or in cooperation with an Explorer's committee. It's obviously too soon to say. But, it's important that we put all old differences aside and learn some truths so we can move on. I will not sweep Phil's memory under the rug. Answers are called for and answers should be provided. We need to hear more details from Doug Sharper on his part in the tragedy. Most importantly, was a body ever recovered? Are their plans to search the debris at the accident site? I, for one, would like to know the answers to these questions before I get too excited about a return to "normalcy".

I'm afraid I'm going to need some solid answers (from anyone) regarding Phil's accident before I can fully embrace any kind of serious resurgence of energy into the Cavern. I would like to think that my fellow members of the Great Tree would have an equal interest in the resolution of this issue.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Professor.

I'm convinced there's more to the Phil incident that was ever explained. I, for one, refuse to believe that he is dead. I have to say, however, that DRC involvement in the investigation is probably a Bad Idea, since whatever they find or have already found will be guarded, I'm sure.

What involvement do you think Douglas has in any of this? Phil was his friend. If I remember correctly, he was just as upset about the whole thing as any of us.

Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharper's journals say he's pretty positive that Phil is really dead. It seems like he even blames himself. (Yes, I read his journals.. the cavern was empty and I needed some feeling of connection with another human being. It doesn't make me a snoop.) Whatever his connection may have been, if anything, I'm sure it wasn't malicious, and I'm of the opinion we should leave him alone. If he had anything to do with it he probably feels terrible enough without anyone pressing him for the details.
I do think it's a travesty that if Phil's body is down there somewhere that it's still laying under a pile of rubble. If he was killed we should know about it for sure and we should be making more of an effort to lay him to rest properly. He deserves that.
I'm betting if it had been Laxman or Engburg or Sutherland under that rubble, they'd have taken the island apart getting them out.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

1) I agree that confronting the DRC for information regarding this issue isn't the best of ideas. Unfortunately, I can't think of anywhere else to start. At the same time, we can't just let this lie. I'd be willing to listen to suggestions from anywhere.

2) I don't think Douglas was directly involved in any way. I'm sorry if it sounded like that. I know they were close and growing closer thanks to the Journey. And though Sharper's journal reflects his grief (I had a passing glance myself, Jean), there isn't really any information in there that would help us to understand the events that transpired. I would LOOVE to chat with Doug about what Phil's plans were...what he was doing at the Guild Hall....if he had had any contact with Watson that led Watson to do what he did, etc.

MJ,

1) I agree that it appears Doug is grieving over the loss of Phil in his journal and that he feels doubly bad about having Phil's Relto book at the time of the accident. I am certainly not questioning his emotional position. But, the fact of the matter is he probably knows more about Phil's state of mind and what his immediate goals were in exploring the upper areas of Ae'gura. I still maintain that someone should have a chat with him. (Of course, we really can't be sure if he's affiliated with the DRC anymore.)

2)
Quote:
I do think it's a travesty that if Phil's body is down there somewhere that it's still laying under a pile of rubble. If he was killed we should know about it for sure and we should be making more of an effort to lay him to rest properly. He deserves that.
I'm betting if it had been Laxman or Engburg or Sutherland under that rubble, they'd have taken the island apart getting them out.

You got that right. Phil was the proverbial loose cannon. I think (probably subconsciously) that the DRC were somewhat relieved after the accident. I know that's a horrible thing to say, but how could it be any other way?

We need these answers before we can move or we will be haunted by this tragedy in everything we do. If Phil is dead, he deserves a decent burial (or cremation). If he isn't, well....................................
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree that there were transgressions in the past perpetrated by the DRC that were never fully explained, I don't believe this is the time to bring them out in the open. What I plan to do is wait, watch, and listen to what they have to say over the next few weeks. After all, we have no idea where this is leading yet. Until we do, then I think it's best we wait to see what they will need from the explorers in the future.

Ashtar
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very right, Ashtar. Speculating is interesting but we are jumping the gun a bit.

I guess it just shows how strong our old feelings really still are.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, MJ, I am absolutely jumping the gun. I will not be caught offguard like I was two years ago when the DRC pulled out. And you're right, too, Ashtar, about waiting, watching, and listening. But, I still stand by my concern over Phil's disappearance. To me this is a MAJOR issue. I'm not nearly as concerned about the future politics of D'ni and Cavern exploration as I am about this. When and if the DRC start trickling back into the public eye, I want them to know that there are people who are concerned about this. And I don't want this to sound antagonistic. I would hope that this would be a priority for them as well. Then together we can find some answers.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to speculation only about whether the DRC really is poking its head out enough to be receptive to such issues. While I completely agree with Professor, it is frustrating to think of wasting our energy yelling at a wall again. Perhaps we should wait until we see the whites of their eyes, so to speak.

KI#44727
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moiety Jean wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps we should wait until we see the whites of their eyes, so to speak.

I agree, MJ. I just wrote something similar over at the DRC. It's basically a waiting game now and I should temper my enthusiasm. Hard, though. The possibilities are very exciting.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm firmly in the 'Phil's not dead' camp, even though my experience of the incident is vicariously though other people's accounts. There's just too much that doesn't fit.

For one, how could someone not notice their relto book was missing? (as Sharper suggests...yeah I read it too, but I was being snoopy!) Mine bangs against my hip and bunches up my shirt and flops open and is generally an irritant. I'm more inclined to think that he either had a replacement from Yeesha, or she whisked him away like she did us after we got to K'veer. If the DRC were putting pressure on him, and she wanted her...erm...head diciple out of their grasp, faking his dealth makes perfect sense.

Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleri wrote:
I'm firmly in the 'Phil's not dead' camp, even though my experience of the incident is vicariously though other people's accounts. There's just too much that doesn't fit.

For one, how could someone not notice their relto book was missing? (as Sharper suggests...yeah I read it too, but I was being snoopy!) Mine bangs against my hip and bunches up my shirt and flops open and is generally an irritant. I'm more inclined to think that he either had a replacement from Yeesha, or she whisked him away like she did us after we got to K'veer. If the DRC were putting pressure on him, and she wanted her...erm...head diciple out of their grasp, faking his dealth makes perfect sense.

Believe me, I'm in the same "Phil's Not Dead" camp as the rest of you. And what Eleri suggests makes perfect sense. We all know Yeesha has the power to link others at will to different locations. And we also know that Phil and Yeesha had a special relationship, taking journeys the rest of us explorers may never know. Someday his journey may bring him back among the rest of the explorers, and I await that day.

Ashtar
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what Cyan's "sources" were to create the game "Myst V: End of Ages". Certainly not Catherine's journals. It may have been supposition on their part or perhaps they had access to journals that we are not aware of. But, if they did have other source materials, then they must have gotten them from the DRC. So, perhaps the DRC know a little bit more about the Bahro than we were led to believe. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't know if it ever came up. For those of us who took Yeesha's original Journey, and that obviously includes Henderson, Sharper, and Watson (for those of us lucky enough to have stumbled upon his Journal during our continued exploration), we are certainly aware that there is more to the Bahro than meets the eye. Whether they actually have the powers portrayed in the Myst V game remains to be seen.

What I'm getting at is this: Included in our future discussion with the DRC should perhaps be the subject of the Bahro. Though they, the DRC, would not have been as "intimate" with them as we were following Yeesha's original request, they were surely aware of them in the form of their chatter in various locations of Ae'gura. I would be very interested to know if they had a hand in helping Phil avoid a grisly fate.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of how accurate Myst V could be is very relevant and it troubles me. We know certainly (and from Cyan's own statements) that Myst 1-4 were based loosely on historical events, and meant to educate in an absorbing and entertaining way. They HAD to be fictional simply because the events in the games occurred far too long ago for us to have taken part. In contrast, Myst 5 centers around events in the present time (am I wrong here?), so it's quite possible Cyan had some insight as to actual events. Or, it may be that they simply imagined how events following the last couple of years in the cavern would occur.

I imagine that we won't be able to learn anything about the accuracy of Myst V or about Yeesha's further role to play until the DRC decides to facilitate mass cavern exploration again.

Regarding the Bahro, I knew they must have wings, because I could hear their unmistakable flapping inside the Journey Doors... exactly how powerful they are, however...

KI#44727
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall right, just before the cave-in that took Phil away, he said that the Bahro were present:
Quote:
an'nie: There are many cries now, can you hear them??
phend: Yes. They are here.
McBeorn: Phil, have you seen the Bahros?
phend: Higher, yes, they are above.

Reading back over the transcript of the event, it sounds like he was climbing, trying to reach them:
Quote:
phend: ...over there...
Brian Fioca: Are they there?
phend: ...getting...
Dr Kodama: Phil, you are in untested areas. You must come back.
phend: ...it is close.
Victor Laxman: I think I see him.
phend: Do you see them?
McBeorn: Where?
phend: Here.

Apparently he reached them. His last statement before the rockslide was a string of ???'s; it is entirely possible the Bahro took him as the avalanche began. Perhaps they even triggered it to cover their rescue/kidnapping/whatever you want to call it. We've seen they can link at will, carrying objects and people with them. It is entirely possible Phil is still around, living among the remnant in Releeshan with Yeesha or something. Just some thoughts.

~Rils
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You jogged my memory most excellently, Rils. Thank you. The sad part is I have every chat log that was ever posted, I think. I've got a stack of paper about 12 inches thick and it's not very organized because I didn't think I'd have to refer to it so soon.

So, Kodama was there. Laxman was there...and Phil is speaking about the Bahro. I'm convinced more than ever that Phil made it out of there alive.

Brian, do you remember hearing the cries of the Bahro? This is fairly disturbing to me. If Phil was killed in the accident, I would like to know why. I would like his body recovered and given a decent burial or cremation. If he wasn't killed, I would really like to know where he went...whether he was spirited away by the Bahro or even Yeesha. After all, I made my way to the Cavern after hearing the "Call" of Yeesha. If there is more to the Journey, I would very much like to be a part of it.

This sudden resurgence of activity is driving me nuts. I'm not sure what to do...I'm trying to be patient...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: