The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

COMCAST is BROKEN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: COMCAST is BROKEN Reply with quote

Comcast users can't see our site. It appears to be a router issue with comcast. I sent them an email, we'll see what they say. If I don't hear anything soon I'm going to call them up and dig through support people until someone can fix it.

Sorry for the trouble.

brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the reply I just got from them:

Quote:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your message concerning the Comcast High-Speed Internet service.

We will need for those subscribers to contact us so that we can do troubleshooting and determine what the real issue is.

Since we cannot effectively troubleshoot connectivity issues via e-mail because of the limitation of the medium, please have those subscribers contact us in chat or call us the next time they experience a connectivity issue with this site so that we may troubleshoot with you in real time. In the event we cannot resolve the issue, we can either escalate it to the network technicians or schedule a service call. If it is determined that the issue is caused by Comcast High Speed Internet owned equipment, appropriate credit can be issued to your account.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Whatever. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately I don't pay for hosting of this site, so I can't push this issue to them, one of our comcast users is going to have to go through the process like they mention above... I guess...

Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Here's the reply I just got from them:

Quote:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your message concerning the Comcast High-Speed Internet service.

We will need for those subscribers to contact us so that we can do troubleshooting and determine what the real issue is.

Since we cannot effectively troubleshoot connectivity issues via e-mail because of the limitation of the medium, please have those subscribers contact us in chat or call us the next time they experience a connectivity issue with this site so that we may troubleshoot with you in real time. In the event we cannot resolve the issue, we can either escalate it to the network technicians or schedule a service call. If it is determined that the issue is caused by Comcast High Speed Internet owned equipment, appropriate credit can be issued to your account.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Whatever. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately I don't pay for hosting of this site, so I can't push this issue to them, one of our comcast users is going to have to go through the process like they mention above... I guess...

I'll contact Comcast tonight when I get home from work Brian and see if we can't get the issue resolved. Hopefully once it's resolved for me it will also be the same for all Comcast users. But I'll post a message on the shard forum urging other Comcast users to report the problem as well.

Ashtar
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...

sorry it's such trouble. Sad

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I did some troubleshooting from a Comcast connection, and "traceroute" traffic (ICMP) reaches and returns from thegreattree.com. HTTP (TCP) traffic times out.

That makes the issue a little more complicated to diagnose... it could still be a Comcast issue, but I think Brian's ISP should investigate further and make sure they or their upstream provider aren't throwing Comcast TCP/IP traffic into a black hole.

- John
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Last night I did some troubleshooting from a Comcast connection, and "traceroute" traffic (ICMP) reaches and returns from thegreattree.com. HTTP (TCP) traffic times out.

That makes the issue a little more complicated to diagnose... it could still be a Comcast issue, but I think Brian's ISP should investigate further and make sure they or their upstream provider aren't throwing Comcast TCP/IP traffic into a black hole.

- John

a'moaca' did some further analysis of the problem and has sent Brian a report for his ISP. It does seem to be just a bit more complicated than a Comcast issue but hopefully they will be able to find the problem.

Ashtar
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any update on this issue?

I, too, am affected now that my home connection is Comcast. Sad
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, we've done more tracing and it seems AT&T is involved somehow, but that's all we've been able to determine. I hope it just somehow resolves itself soon, because there's noting I can really do on my end. I've tried calling comcast and spent a lot of time on the phone but they won't talk to me because I'm not a subscriber... Sad

This issue is extremely frustrating.

a'moaca'
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of investigation, here's what we can tell about the problem. It's so pitifully little. Somewhere between all of us poor Comcast subscribers and the web server, there is a router that is performing traffic filtering. The Great Tree server itself is not configured to do what's happening, so it has to be somewhere else. This makes it rather difficult for any of us to fix, if it's not the client's fault nor the server's fault.

For the a more thorough, techie explanation: Briefly, traceroute works, which means that it's very unlikely we have a routing problem. It also indicates that, as Marten said, it appears to be the case that only certain traffic, TCP traffic, is filtered. The strangest part about this problem, though, is that some of the the affected people (myself included) can reach this site after a delay of two minutes or so. (I don't know if Mystlander really takes 10 minutes; if so that would not fit the pattern, and I would be left scratching my head again.) I couldn't reach it at all until about two weeks ago, though, so the behavior has changed somewhat since the problem started! All I've been able to deduce about this is that, for me, only responses from the web server with actual data are delayed, but they eventually are passed to me and I get the web page. For those of us who can't reach the site at all, all responses for the web server are either thrown away completely or delayed by too much. I have not yet been able to deduce the slightest pattern for who can reach this site after two minutes and who can't at all. Unless we get some more useful data that somehow exposes a pattern for who can get through with a delay and who can't get through at all, the best we can do is, in brief, "a transit router is applying a broken stateful packet filter to TCP traffic from the web server." Quite a mouthful, and difficult to fix. Confused

I have now called Comcast tech support on this issue, because there is absolutely nothing else that can be done at this point. I would request again that everyone affected call them as well. I would think more subscribers complaining would increase the attention given to the problem. But when you do, please get them to include in the ticket that your call is the same problem as described in my ticket number. That number is CR046873463 (that's a zero, not a letter O). Tell them that you cannot reach this site but you can reach other web sites you go to without trouble and that either you or your friends can reach the site from non-Comcast addresses (e.g. work). You may need to add that the site administrators have been looking at the problem and it is not the web server. Hopefully when you tell them you're reporting a problem with my ticket number that will get them to put you in with relatively little grief. They may ask you to tracert and clear out your cookies and web cache and so forth; they have a stock list of things to fill in. (My response to "which operating system are you using?": "Which one would you like?" Very Happy) If you get someone clueful enough you could even tell them whether you have the horrendous delay or just can't get through at all. Fortunately for me, the tech support guy couldn't load the site either (that saves a lot of grief too)!

Please note that this issue will go straight to the 9-5ers if you get your ticket sent to the right place, which means that the soonest anything at all could happen is Monday. If you are willing, and you're not someone I already have the info for, I would be interested in knowing your IP address and whether you can get through with a delay or not at all. If there is a pattern that falls out, I'm sure that would be very useful to tell Comcast.

-a'moaca', your friendly neighborhood routing geek.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... I'm CuzinJohn, and I'm a Comcast Subscriber.

I called them, referenced that case number, and they told me that they didn't have that case number. I explained the problem, and the flunkie told me that it's probably a temporary outtage they hadn't been made aware of yet, and these outtages ususally last a few hours. I told them it's been WEEKS since I could access the site. They said the site must be down. I said no... because I can access it from work. the tech reject told me that maybe the site was up during the day, but down at night. again, i said no, because I was remotely connected to one of my customers servers and i could connect to it from there. She said, quote, "Oh good... glad to hear you're connected. Thank you for calling." and hung up.

Grrrrrr....

I don't know if it's helpful, but my tracert test from my Comcast connection is bombing out at a particular IP... 209.168.246.34
Quote:

Tracing route to thegreattree.com [199.245.97.2] over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 4 ms 4 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 13 ms 13 ms 15 ms ge-2-2-ur02.coatesville.pa.panjde.comcast.net [68.86.216.153]
4 17 ms 13 ms 14 ms te-9-1-ur01.coatesville.pa.panjde.comcast.net [68.86.209.73]
5 12 ms 14 ms 15 ms po80-ar01.coatesville.pa.panjde.comcast.net [68.86.209.69]
6 15 ms 15 ms 14 ms po90-ar01.wallingford.pa.panjde.comcast.net [68.86.208.37]
7 18 ms 14 ms 15 ms po90
ar01.401nbroadst.pa.panjde.comcast.net [68.86.208.29]
8 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 68.86.211.14
9 19 ms 21 ms 18 ms 12.118.114.9
10 17 ms 18 ms 19 ms tbr2-p012301.phlpa.ip.att.net [12.123.137.66]
11 273 ms 15 ms 16 ms gar2-p390.phlpa.ip.att.net [12.123.137.50]
12 23 ms 23 ms 24 ms 12.119.53.118
13 43 ms 23 ms 25 ms g-3-1.c1-pitb.telcove.net [24.56.96.29]
14 207 ms 211 ms 216 ms p03-4-4.c1-atln.telcove.net [24.56.96.78]
15 75 ms 77 ms 76 ms 24.56.97.170
16 71 ms 72 ms 74 ms 64.31.173.22
17 69 ms 71 ms 69 ms pos1-0.atlngapk24w.cr.deltacom.net [66.35.174.25]
18 71 ms 73 ms 74 ms pos3-0.suwangaeq01w.cr.deltacom.net [66.35.174.106]
19 68 ms 71 ms 69 ms suw02.gig4-0.edeltacom.com [66.35.174.146]
20 70 ms 70 ms 71 ms suwC4-gig3-5.edeltacom.com [216.154.207.85]
21 69 ms 70 ms 71 ms suwE4S-gig1-1-4.edeltacom.com [216.154.207.94]
22 181 ms 235 ms 235 ms 209.168.246.34
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

it took some digging, but that IP wasn't responding to my standard WHOIS tests... but I found one that gave me a result:
Quote:

WHOIS results for 209.168.246.34
Generated by www.DNSstuff.com

Looking up 209.168.246.34 at whois.radb.net.

NOTE: More information appears to be available at AS20141.

route: 209.168.246.0/24
descr: PNAP-ACS ITC_INTERNAP_ROUTE
origin: AS20141
mnt-by: INAP-MAINT-RADB
changed: *******@internap.com 20050426
source: RADB

route: 209.168.246.0/24
descr: PNAP-ACS ITC_INTERNAP_ROUTE
origin: AS20141
mnt-by: INAP-MAINT-MCI
changed: *******@internap.com 20050426
source: SAVVIS

I don't know if it helps... but I just hope my customer doesn't find out I've been hijacking his server to get my forum fix... Wink

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
a'moaca'
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuzinJohn wrote:
Hi... I'm CuzinJohn, and I'm a Comcast Subscriber.

I called them, referenced that case number, and they told me that they didn't have that case number. I explained the problem, and the flunkie told me that it's probably a temporary outtage they hadn't been made aware of yet, and these outtages ususally last a few hours. I told them it's been WEEKS since I could access the site. They said the site must be down. I said no... because I can access it from work. the tech reject told me that maybe the site was up during the day, but down at night. again, i said no, because I was remotely connected to one of my customers servers and i could connect to it from there. She said, quote, "Oh good... glad to hear you're connected. Thank you for calling." and hung up.

Grrrrrr....
Well, that's particularly bad even for Comcast. Tech support who hangs up on you deserves to be fired. I really need to remember to get names when I do this stuff. Lousy, miserable, obnoxious lazy idiot.

Next time they are not listening to you escalate the call. Usually you have to with Comcast; I was amazingly lucky on Friday. As for the vanishing case number, I don't have a lot of time to spend on this just right now but I assure you I will be calling them again in the next few days.

You're not going to like this, but I can't do this alone. I am a 100% captive market, even; I have zero other ISPs to choose from unless I want to go back to 30k dialup (and I'm sure they know it). We, as a group, must lean on them together.

CuzinJohn wrote:
I don't know if it's helpful, but my tracert test from my Comcast connection is bombing out at a particular IP... 209.168.246.34
That is the last hop before the server. This behavior pretty much just means that you are behind a NAT, which is easy to confirm from your first hop. Smile

CuzinJohn wrote:
it took some digging, but that IP wasn't responding to my standard WHOIS tests... but I found one that gave me a result:
The whois search you want is at arin.net. ARIN is the place to to go to look up IP address ownership in the US and they will also usually tell you which other entity to query at for addresses outside the US. You can query at http://www.arin.net/whois/ for the non-command-line whois users out there. Wink

Code:
whois -h whois.arin.net 209.168.246.34
ITC^Deltacom NETBLCK-ITCD-5 (NET-209-168-128-0-1)
                                  209.168.128.0 - 209.168.255.255
e^deltacom ITCD-209-168-240-0 (NET-209-168-240-0-1)
                                  209.168.240.0 - 209.168.247.255

Query on ITCD-209-168-240-0 if you want more info... but that's just the upstream ISP from Brian's server.

-a'moaca'
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know ICMP traffic is getting through, and TCP is not. That set me wondering if I could find a tool that would trace TCP traffic.

I found this:

http://michael.toren.net/code/tcptraceroute/

I will set this up tonight and see if I can get more information about where the packets start to be filtered. It may or may not help... update to come later this evening.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: tcptraceroute result Reply with quote

Here is the result:

Traceroute from my Linux box on a Comcast account successfully traces all the way to the website at node.to.

TCP traceroute, from Comcast, always stops just before the website. Traffic bouncing back from 1 step outside of the website returns, but traffic from the website itself does not. This test shows that the TCP responses from the website specifically are indeed being filtered on return.

From my work account, both tools successfully reach node.to.

The next step could be for someone at the website to run tcptraceroute towards Comcast space (68.87.198.1 should be well within Comcast territory) and see if it shows where the filtering is occurring. Based upon my experiment, I have a good feeling you may identify the specific router with this tool.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like one of those problems that's going to be a bear to track down. Comcast will most likely claim it's not their problem and it doesn't look like it is. I did call them to be added to a'moaca's trouble ticket, but I'm not hopefull it will be resolved by Comcast.

Ashtar
Kyven
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the problem has been fixed, because I'm finally able to access the site again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: