The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Deep End (spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: The Deep End (spoilers) Reply with quote

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a discussion started on the game since release. Here's where to start. What did you like? Dislike? Is it the end you were hoping for? Spoilers abound, so avoid this thread if you haven't finished the game yet.

--

After finishing I must say I truly enjoyed the game. I'm glad I took my time with it, and excluding a rule of the tablets I didn't acknowlege without help (played Laki'ahn first, wasn't aware you could write the symbols from the pedestals onto the slates for access), I was able to finish the game without any spoilers. I'll get my gripes out of the way first so I can get to the good stuff unhindered.

1) Brevity of the ages. Arriving in Tahgira, I felt I was in for something special. The music was subtle and I enjoyed the clever usage of the tablet. Then WHAM. It was over. I ended up linking back afterwards just to get a better feel of the age, but in the end I felt there wasn't enough time invested for me to connect with the age. After spending a greater amount time in Todelmer and Noloben, I can't help but feel that the ages just don't have the same impact of those previously in the series.

2) Endings - Good and bad. Overall the endings were handled pretty well. Cyan has effectively made the thought of being marooned on Myst Island a nightmare (which cut pretty deep). As for the correct choice being made, it was leading up to an awesome ending. Atrus reuniting with Yeesha, in RELEESHAHN of all places, was enough to almost shed a tear. Then Esher appeared and messed it all up. What was to be an emotional ending turned suddenly into a whiney old man-baby who didn't get his way. I literally laughed out loud, and since that was not the intended response, I couldn't help but feel that that scene could have been handled a bit better. All the voice acting was supurb until this point... What happened?? It brought me right back to Revelation's ending, which also had its moments of pure unadulterated cheese.

Since those were my only true gripes (outside of my machine's performance in Laki'ahn) let's get to the good stuff!

1) The Great Shaft. So amazing an experience that I felt I was being spoiled WHILE walking through the caves and decending (which never happens). We have been waiting YEARS for this, and to see it finally here means we can return whenever we want to bask in it's fanboy/girl glory. Would have liked to have seen the full path fleshed out, but having this much is enough for me. Smile

2) Todelmer. Yes! A truly gorgeous age with some clever puzzles. 'Nuff said.

3) Myst Island as a carrot. Imagine you're really there. You can only make one choice in the end. Going back to Myst is one of those choices. How could you possibly resist?

4) The Music. Though a little more upbeat in some places, the music still rings true. Tons of motifs in just the right places from Myst to Uru (though used in TPotS, the original Myst theme motif in the room on K'veer still ignites some shivers). The main theme is excellent. The music played on Myst Island is perfect.

5) Endings. Yeah, I know I complained earlier, but the game ended just as it was supposed to. Releeshahn. The freeing of the bahro. The burdens lifted. Good stuff. Seriously looking forward to the Book of Marrim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: