The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Great Tree Branches Toward the Future
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: The Great Tree Branches Toward the Future Reply with quote

As stated in the article on the main page,

With the coming of End of Ages and the indefinite diversion of Cyan from the saga of D'ni, The Great Tree site will need to refocus.

I'd like to begin discussing this coming change now, so that the transition will be smooth and painless.

I'd like for us to continue to be a main branch in the community of Myst fans, and more generally, fans of whatever worlds Cyan has in store for us in the future.

I'd also like to try to rekindle the original revolutionary spirit on which this particular community was founded.

Please contribute your ideas, as we are all the branches.

Last edited by brian on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, this is an OUTSTANDING idea!! And I'm all for it. I will reply shortly with some generic thoughts on the future but first I'm going to PM you with two specific thoughts to get your feedback.

I'm very excited about this idea because in a great sense we're dealing with a lot of unknowns. On this particular occasion I'd even consider a public e-mail to all our members who maybe don't stop by as often as they used to.
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Brian, this is an OUTSTANDING idea!!

I'm very excited about this idea because in a great sense we're dealing with a lot of unknowns. On this particular occasion I'd even consider a public e-mail to all our members who maybe don't stop by as often as they used to.

Yeah, what the Professor said... Go for it, Brother Fioca!
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212

Last edited by Mystlander on Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof pointed out to me that this site is one of the few remaining sites that hold information about the URU Live storyline (what little there was), and I'd like to keep that for historical reasons, but I still want to transition.

As part of the process, I think maybe I'll do a series of articles on the front site talking about the URU story as I saw it, referencing some of the deeper chat logs with sharper (and even GD in game!) and where I think the story line would have gone... I figure that could be a running series of 3 or 4 articles to take us out to the end of the year, and to remember our roots while we refocus.

I may send an email out to the people who registered for the board, letting them know about the change, and requesting their input.

KnightShayde
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all sorry i ve been gone so long. glad to see its still here.
i agree that we shoud continue the focus with Myst and uru (esp since we still have Until Uru). it will be intresting to see what other aspects Cyan will introduce to us..
i was hoping to see URU finally become reality (again)..but i guess we will jsut have to settle for UU . Very Happy
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say hello to everyone and hope you are all well Very Happy

Recieved Brian's email and emails from various other people over the past few weeks that I'll get round to answering. How is everyone doing? It's a small world I've been playing The Matrix Online since March and came across a group of people called 'The Redpill Greeters' and I thought hmmm that sounds familiar. Lo and behold it's people from The Guild of Greeters which was really nice to see and got chatting to some of them about the days of Uru Smile

Anyway I'm about, good to see the forum/site still going. Looking forward to seeing Myst 5 released even though it will be the final one Sad But whatever Cyan turns the hand to it's going to be brilliant and I'll be there buying it.
David Domitri
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Brian's general e-mail in my inbox today. It's been a while since I've visited here; it's been a while since I've been looked at any only Myst boards (other than passive Lyst skimming). A far cry from my more passionate days of linking theory. Smile But I am excited about the future of The Great Tree, and that's why I'm here. As to where it's headed . . . well, I have some thoughts (let's not call them full-fledged ideas yet), but I want to hear those of others first.
essjay
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy How interesting that you would have sent out that mass mailing brian (I got mine this afternoon)!

The reason I say interesting is that over at the Safety First forums we did that very thing in the wee hours of the morning. We have not had even as much in the way of activity on the forums since even before December.

I look forward to what ideas are put about here and perhaps we too can find some of our members (many of whom belong to this forum as well) and regroup ourselves.

Safety First Forums:

http://sf243.de/

Citizen of UU Shards
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's so cool to see people excited again. I know there are great things in store for us from Cyan.
Myst 5 is going to be amazing, and I'm eager to find out the last elements of the story and see what threads will be tied together and which will be left loose.
I'll never give up our deep and rich Myst history, but I'll happily explore all that's new, too.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see more "linkage" between this site and Ashtar's Great Tree Shard Until Uru forum. In fact, I would like to see a presence of Until Uru in general. After all, this will be the only continuing presence of the Myst universe once EoA has come and gone. And if Cyan does release age-building tools down the road, I would like to know that the Great Tree is ready to move forward in this area.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Prof. We should work with Ashtar on that.

I'd like to be in UU more myself, and hopefully soon I will be able to (since Jean is installing it on her computer I believe).

And boy, if they release an age builder... I'm all over that.

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one would have to believe that Cyan has something up their sleeves regarding UU's future....even if it's years off.
Guild Master LaReh
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorah all,
I hope to see The Great Tree continue for all of the reasons previously mentioned in this thread and add my own incentives. Uru is not dead merely sleeping, Until Uru will grow first and then Uru later. I believe that all of these things will come to pass, but not until Cyan's business relationship with its "publisher" has gone the way of the dodo. We need to continue our faithful resolve in this matter. How sad is it that Cyan has to "end" the MYST line to prevent "them" from bastardizing it any further? Time heals all wounds and so does distance. The farther way we all get from "them", the sooner the tree will grow.
(The preceeding has been the personal opinions of the writer and should not be interpreted as anything other than that.) Very Happy
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, LaReh.

And I can't wait until Cyan allies itself with a publisher that can see past the franchise. Interpret that as you will..... Wink
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
You're right, LaReh.

And I can't wait until Cyan allies itself with a publisher that can see past the franchise. Interpret that as you will..... Wink

Amen to that Professor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: