The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Pre-Orders at Ubisoft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Pre-Orders at Ubisoft Reply with quote

Myst V, Myst V Limited Edition, & a Myst V 16 Month Calendar are now available for preorder. I sent my money in. Wink

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Search.aspx?plTag=pc

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=99179&usitem=68252
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Professor!

Going to order my calendar and Limited Edition right now...

URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered mine yesterday! Last game, gotta have the limited edition! Calendar too. Thanks for the links!
MOULa KI: #10750831
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$60 is insane, no matter what's included. And that's before tax + possibly shipping.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a high price at first but then I stopped to consider that most AAA games retail at $49.99-$54.99 nowadays. And I'm certainly hoping we all consider Myst V a triple a game. Exclamation

So, even if the regular version sells at $39.95 (I didn't check), add around $15 for the Guide and another $15 for the soundtrack...that comes to $70 right there. Then consider you get a 22 minute documentary...it's a pretty good deal!! Very Happy

Of course, maybe you're not a Myst fan.......[don't hit me...j/k]
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reg sells for $50, which is more than the last two Myst games.

I've just kind of gotten used to the lower price tag. Very Happy For fiddy dollars, Myst 5 better be ginormous.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Daedalus: For fiddy dollars, Myst 5 better be ginormous.

You know, I agree with this. It's difficult to compare the action games with the mellow pacing of Myst exploration. But, the bottom line is $50 is a lot of money. With the shooter's you get some serious interactivity, lots of challenge, and more often than not, online play with your friends. That's a lot of bang for the buck...if shooters are your thing. How does a Myst game charge $50 for exploration and puzzle solving? More content! Right off the bat you generally get more story. And certainly the imaginative visuals are worth paying for. It's a tough call. I'm hoping for a big send-off. We'll find out in September.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think its a matter of expectation. $55 may be a new benchmark for predicted blockbusters, but Doom 3's price quickly plummeted. Just today I overheard an EBGames rep say the pre-owned price was down to twelve bucks. Enough to make me shoot myself in the foot. Mad

I paid $50 for Half-Life 2. That more than paid for itself with an outstanding singleplayer game, and two, count em, TWO addictive multiplayer modes. Add in the inevitable plethora of community mods and you have a what I call a bargain.

The problem with Myst (in general) is that it has almost no replay value (this can be argued, even by me) being a rather linear single-player experience. Adventure games almost always debut under $50. Most games that focus mainly on single-player are set at a $40 price point or lower (I believe even Far Cry was $40 at release), unless it has something under the hood that has potential (i.e. Doom 3 had potential). Seeing a game like Psychonauts priced at $30 was a good decision on the publisher's part.

Seeing a (sadly) dying franchise priced at $50+ isn't gonna make the company more money. The sales of the last few games in the series should make this evident. Sad
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian and I got to play it for a while at our visit to Cyan last week, and Myst V is BEAUTIFUL. We had SO many "oh my gosh!" almost teary amazed moments. We got a peek at the "art peice" that will be included with the Limited Edition, and it is very pretty and unique. Definitely frameable as they claim.
I will happily set aside the moneys to order the Limited Edition, considering the soundtrack would probably retail for at least $12-$15 (and is once again wonderful) , and the guide for another $20 by itself.
I keep wanting to go to my computer and play the game some more but I keep having to remind myself that it is hidden safely away at Cyan for now. I suspect I'm going to be in withdrawls until September. So sad that this is the last Myst game, but Cyan is far from giving up on making other amazing game experiences. ::quiver::

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live for those "teary eyed" moments. When I first heard the brother's themes in Myst 4 booming through my surround speakers, I nearly wept (no happy tear smilie on this forum).

Finally seeing the great tree in TPotS comes to mind, and the music fit the mood perfectly. As for Myst V, I'm most looking forward to seeing more of K'veer (I think I've said that about a thousand times).

Anyway, back on topic --- placed my pre-order with Ubi today. They love taking my money. Laughing
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They love taking my money.

You got that right. And now I'm toying with the idea of ordering the Collector's Edition from Great Britain. It's different enough and has a sneak peek at the Book of Marrim.

It never ends........thankfully. Wink
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh...... I really want the UK version too, but I don't know if my bank account could take the hit..... Grrrrrr.......
MOULa KI: #10750831
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only want it for its purdy box. Why does the US keep getting shafted on Myst box designs? Question
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been talking about this elsewhere as well. I agree, our box doesn't stand up to theirs in design but I have a theory. Since our CE contains the Prima Guide, the box itself will be fairly large to hold it. Therefore, it is also large enough to house printed art. Maybe they thought a big box like that didn't look so good using the book-style art. And maybe the CE on the other side of the Atlantic is keeping their box DVD size wich looks quite nice as a book.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
...Since our CE contains the Prima Guide, the box itself will be fairly large to hold it. Therefore, it is also large enough to house printed art. Maybe they thought a big box like that didn't look so good using the book-style art...

Interesting theory, but I'm not saying we should get a "book," but rather just a cooler looking box (or at least graphic). Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: