The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

D'Olympics.....Cross-Shard Event
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guild Master LaReh
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: D'Olympics.....Cross-Shard Event Reply with quote

BIG NEWS! The D'ni League of Activities (D'LA) who were just getting off the ground when Uru Live ended, are gearing up back into action in a big way with the
newly planned D'Olympics to be held on the DLA shard next month.
Sh'aeri met me in Ae'Gura tonight and outlined her requests for participation.
She's asking for the various shard groups to each send a group to compete in the various events, which you can read about on the D'LA forums.
She's also asked for players who won't be "athletically-competing" to participate as Judges, Ambassadors, etc.

So what do you all think? She's trying to schedule this for the weekend beginning Friday September 10th so we need to get organized quickly. I'd like to schedule a meeting for all interested parties in the Greeter Live Chat room on Wed night September 1st at 8 pm ET.
It sounds very exciting and could be the start of some great future inter-shard events.

EDIT: I just heard from Sh'aeri and she says the previously planned date is now considered too soon by D'LA management, so the event will be rescheduled for a later date, possibly in a month's time. So stay tuned! Don't change that Bat-channel!
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really great idea Lareh, love the sound of the D'Olympics Very Happy So have we go willing volunteers here to make a team for the Great Tree?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely include myself in a list of GT volunteers. As long as the event was held on a weekend with at least a week's notice. I still have the same crappy job I had during Live which eliminates most week nights unfortunately. But, if it's a weekend....I am down!
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can count me in, although I'm uncertain as to which events I could 'carry the torch' for The Great Tree...

Is there a D'mi catagory in the D'Olympics?
Laughing
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Mystlander and Professor Very Happy

I can just see the opening ceremony as the groups walk in carrying their flags, the flag of the Great Tree, the flag of the Safety First Hood, the flag of the Uru Obsession and so on Laughing

It will be interesting to see what events are picked. The Long Jump? Sprint up the Great Stairs? Relay race around the City? Marker hunt with who can do it in the quickest time? Should be good fun Very Happy
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the flag idea, Farlesis!! LOL

Don't think we'll be doing any timed events, though. In that regard it would be the athletes versus the lag. Laughing

Should be fun...

"In lane number one we have Farlesis representing the Great Tree....
...and in lane number two, Dan'ni from the Uru Obsession Neighborhood...
...while in lane number three, from out of the Safety First Hood, Plinthon!
Then in lane number four we have Tweek representing the Third Path...
...over in lane five we have inki here for the Meeting Place...
Elkae is here racing for the Institution Hood.......and finally.....
LAG taking position in lane six........"
Sh'aeri
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who were wondering what is going on....

"Citius, Altius, Fortius"...The D'LA is proud to announce that we are in the planning stages of D'Olympic games. A chance for Explorers to go Higher, Faster and Stronger than they ever thought they could. D'Olympics is here for the sheer joy of sport and friendly competition that can only be found in the explorers of D'ni. We are in need of volunteers, judges and other support staff. If you are interested in helping us make D'Olympics a success, please join us on the Guild of Greeters live chat on Wednesday, September 1st at 8:00 pm EST. If you can't join us, but would like to help, please show your interest at www.dniactivities.org

See you at the Games.
D'Olympic Organizing Committee

D'LA KI: 00021961
GOG KI: 00123545
Sh'aeri
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Testers Needed Reply with quote

Hey!

All of us over at the D'Olympic Organizing Committee would like to extend our invitation to join us on Wed. Sept 8, 8pm EDT for another organizational meeting. This time around, we're going to be talking about testing, and we'll need some help and some volunteers to do it.

We need volunteers to test:
The Marathon
5K Run
Kemo Sprints
Gira High Dive
Island Hop
Heek
D'Cathlon

If you can't make it Wednesday, please join us on Saturday, Sept 11, 8pm EDT, 10am AST for another meeting on the Tapestry Shard, Amber Horizons Hood.

See you there!
Guild Master LaReh
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorah B'shemtee:

Looks as though I got some interest going for the D'Olympics...so...here's the gameplan...if you missed out on last weeks meeting, you're in luck, we're at it again this week, Wednesday, Sept. 8, 8pm EST on GOG live chat...if you can't make that one, please join us on the Tapestry Shard on Sept 11, 8pm EST in the Amber Horizons Hood.

Thanks so much to everyone who has shown an interest and has volunteered their services to help out on such a huge project.

See you on Wednesday and Saturday!
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really, really, really going to try and be there for Saturday's meeting.

"Honey? Sweetheart? We can't go out tonight....I'm sorry. But, I have an important meeting to attend.....What's that? Where's the meeting? Uh....it's on the PC......That's right....it's a planning session.......For work? Uh, no......for the D'Olympics........No, not the Olympics, that's over. This is for the D'ni Olympics......D'ni! That's right! From Uru, you remembered!..................[Wife rolls eyes and sighs]
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool will definitely try and make the Wednesday meet on the Tapestry Shard.
Sh'aeri
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Meeting Places Reply with quote

Just to clear up confusion...if you want to show up for the meetings this is where you should go.

Wednesday...GOG live chat

Saturday...Tapestry Shard

See you there.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Meeting Places Reply with quote

Sh'aeri wrote:
Just to clear up confusion...if you want to show up for the meetings this is where you should go.

Wednesday...GOG live chat

Saturday...Tapestry Shard

See you there.

LOL and I was just saying in another how easily confused I get Laughing Thanks for clearing that up Sh'aeri. Saturday then I shall be on the Tapestry for the meeting Smile
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trisha, from the DRC Hood, is also hosting a party in honor of Eric_L on Wednesday, Sept. 8th, from 9:00-11:00 EST: http://www.urutapestry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=363

Since these two events will over-ride one another, I think I'll attend the D'Olympics meeting on Saturday. Wink
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Guild Master LaReh
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in from D'Olympics planners!

The D'Olympics are coming! The D'Olympics are coming!

And we need help.

Nyrphame Danilaise and I are recruiting vic . . . I mean volunteers, to help the DOC set up and test events for the D'Olympics. Nyrph and I have been appointed as the Volunteer Managers. (But if I do this right, she'll do most of the work. Oops! . . . Did I say that out loud?) We need people willing to set aside some time to help us run through proposed events so we can check course layout, system load and performance, venue selection, and things of this nature.

We hope to be able to predict and optimize parameters like these and others:

1. How many contestants can compete at once before the system performance suffers?
2. Can we allow spectators (if so, how many) into a venue without damaging performance?
3. What are the logistical problems in getting people from place to place on time?
4. Linking in/out. Will large numbers linking into and out of different venues cause problems for the host shard?

These are the immediate issues we are trying to pin down at the moment. There will be others we will deal with as they arise.

NOTE:
We will be drafting rules and polishing procedures for the events at the same time. This is likely to be a fairly lengthy process, so be prepared for some idle time between test runs. Come prepared to wait. Bring a sandwich. Bring a book. Or better yet, bring a friend to visit with!

How can you help?

PM either Nyrph or me (Tyr-anun) and let us know when you can be online and available. We will consolidate and organize your responses, and contact you to let you know how, when, and where you can help out.

The "fun factor" of the D'Olympics largely depends on how well we can predict, process, and preclude potential problems. We look forward to working with you to make this effort a success.

Thanks

Tyr-anun
D'Olympics Volunteer Manager (Translation: "Too slow to actually compete")

So, contact Tyr-anun or Nyrphame Danilaise at the GOG forums post haste!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: