The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Untěl Uru -- ONLINE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric L
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Tapestry Shard Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

Sorry I haven't been around in a bit. I've been somewhat occupied with RealLife(TM) and then getting the Tapestry shard set up. I really do try to keep up with everyone, although it's getting a bit tricky at times. Smile

The Tapestry shard has had a few bumps and bruises, but as far as I'm concerned, it's here to stay. I have had people offer to make donations for hosting, and I will certainly accept them, especially if it means I can get a better machine to put the shard on. However, I have no plans to do any sort of subscription or fee system with the shard. I want Tapestry to be a place that everyone can get to.

Right now, the shard is doing pretty good. I had some issues when I left the thread pool too high, and the server maxed out for a while, but after bringing the thread pool down to a reasonable number, it seems to have smoothed out. It was averaging about 50% capacity today, although I haven't checked the current population.

We did do a vault wipe last night. I hated to do it, but the server had some "growing pains" yesterday that resulted in some database corruption. Rather than limp along with problems, I had a talk with as many people on the shard as possible and we agreed to wipe the vault. I'm now doing nightly backups on the database, so we should never have to endure that again.

I'm still in the process of finding and enabling things in the shard. There are a lot of options that I know we never saw in Live or in Choru, and while I would love to just turn everything on, I don't want to corrupt someone's Relto or give them linking books that go nowhere. Also, there are a lot of items that are referenced by nothing but a number, and they may not have any representation within Uru itself. I've got a small test server I'm testing them on, and as I discover they work, I'm turning them on in Tapestry.

One of my favorite things from Choru was common versions of Kemo. Everyone has their own Kemo, but as it turns out, you can turn on a book in the neighborhood linking room that gives the 'hood a common Kemo. Anyone that links through that book goes to the same Kemo, making it a sort of extension of the neighborhood. I always thought Kemo was really meant to be a place to hang out and relax.

If everyone here is interested, I would love to host The Great Tree at Tapestry shard. Of course, I don't doubt that plans are afoot for TGT to have their own shard at some point, but I would certainly enjoy having you over in the interim.

Shorah,

Eric
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric

Good to hear from you and thank you for the invite. I'm not sure what's happening myself at the moment. If there is a general consensus to go to the Tapestry Shard then I'm more than happy to go with that. I've only been on the GoG shard as it was the only one I could successfully get on and I haven't tried any of the others yet.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fine with me, Eric. Everybody else? Personally, because of the obvious shrinking of the Great Tree, I don't think we need our own Shard. And ultimately, just like in Live, I would imagine the duplication of Neighborhoods across servers will become fairly common. But, the Tapestry sounds like a fine place to be.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this, I'm processing it in my mind right now.

You'll hear back from me later.
-BF

Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Guess you got my E-mail, eh, Boss? Wink Great to have you back, sir!

Now, will you please download the Until URU patch and join us online? Very Happy

URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212

Last edited by Mystlander on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just came back from the new The Meeting Place shard and the connection speed was the fastest I've come across yet. This inludes linking from place to place. This was true for everyone that was in there at the time...no matter where in the world they lived which included Great Britain and the Netherlands.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear, Prof. To be honest, Tapestry Shard was driving me nuts last night, and literally took 15 minute spans for me to link from place to place. Sad

I'll have to check out performance on each shard when I have the time.
taniith
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I just came back from the new The Meeting Place shard and the connection speed was the fastest I've come across yet. This inludes linking from place to place. This was true for everyone that was in there at the time...no matter where in the world they lived which included Great Britain and the Netherlands.

I agree, i've found that to be a very good shard connection wise.... but there do seem to be a few problems with Reltos on that shard (no hotspots, etc) which they say they are addressing.
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, The Meeting Place Shard was very fast, but I was unable to set up a new neighborhood for The Great Tree... It seems that neighborhood creation, whether private or public, has not been initiated on TMP Shard.

Follow up: After trying to set up The Great Tree Hood, it seems the Hood book completely disappeared from my Relto bookshelf. When I tried to access TGT Hood from the Nexus, I learned that all of my Ae'gura Links, Public & Private Hood links were gone. I was left with only the links to my Personal Ages. So, I went to Garesheen to access the hood balcony. While the Hood book did return with the balcony page, I still cannot access TGT link by the fountain, because that page merely contains a black cloud graphic.

URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212

Last edited by Mystlander on Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the folks I met there said the hosts name is Ghavin. Does anyone know him? Next time I go in I'll pay better attention to the Log-In. He may have contact info there.
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a shard that didn't even have the Nexus book in the neighborhood. Which one I don't recall, but unless I import an avatar the has the nexus book I'm not getting anywhere there.
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is hi-larious! Talk about putting up a shard in a hurry. I can just imagine a group of avies standing around the empty podium...nodding their heads...puffing out air between their lips...bouncing up and down on the balls of their feet.....

"Sooooo......"
"Yep..."
"What do you feel like doin'?"
"Well? Well...we could hang out here..."
"Sure! Sure, we could do that..."
"Okay, then! Let's grab some coffee and play another game of Heek."
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite...

No Nexus, no Island Page, NO HEEK, no scope, no water in the fountain, no common room, no private room (egg room), no garden lights, no firemarbles, no eddie, no hanging lanterns, no mushroom, ...

You get the picture.

Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked You might as well play in the wire frame. LOL
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DRC was supposed to have removed all that. crazy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: