The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Untěl Uru -- ONLINE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've been thinking about that as well. But I'm not sure what you need to do or how you go about it?
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, you need a Linux machine with a lot of bandwidth running the Uru server.
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Character - I found the import character option, and got the dread import error. But... went back to a copy of my sav folder from 2/14/2004, copied that into my Until Uru folder, and tried again... voila! And now I've recovered my pith helmet... I feel... complete. Mostly. Now I need someone on the CC shard to give me a GT jacket Wink

As for the server... Cyan's a little unclear on the real server requirements (processor speed, bandwidth, etc). I have a Linux box with a static IP address, running Debian "Woody", the current stable release... but sadly, the servers are compiled for much newer Linux versions with newer base software. I have partly upgraded my box in an attempt to get the server running, but only 1 of the 4 components will currently run.

The next big update for Debian is supposed to be next month though. Perhaps then...
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well anyone who wants a copy of Linux to play with in hopes of getting a server running, try here.
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHERE'S FIOCA? Please, someone tell him that we need an Until URU server for The Great Tree, ASAP!
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm managing to get onto the Guild of Greeters server most of the time now, I find once I've been on the shard and imported my character it's not to much trouble getting back onto the server. Been hanging out a lot with Inki on the GoG server, good to see everyone once again. Hope to see more of you soon back down in the Cavern.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehl Nava wrote:
Well anyone who wants a copy of Linux to play with in hopes of getting a server running, try here.

Tehl: Do you have access to a T1 or fractional? The biggest problem with me running a server is that our wonderful cable company sees it necessary to cap our upload speeds to 360kbs. I don't know why Smile

But I agree with others, The Great Tree needs it's own shard. It would be wonderful to see Brian, Daedalus, Farlesis, Mystlander, and the rest of the bunch back in the Great Tree hood.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but we'd need a server. I'm also curious how, since there's so many shards, we can congregate onto one server which would house many Uru Live frequenters.

As of now though, I don't think it's possible that anyone in GT would happen to have a Linux server with a ton of bandwidth to dedicate to a GT shard (unless I'm wrong).

Hmmm...
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ashtar I have high speed cable through Cox. I would love to get my equipment on something faster, but I'm doing alright so far. However, I'm also not running any servers you guys could access right now either.
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtar wrote:
But I agree with others, The Great Tree needs it's own shard. It would be wonderful to see Brian, Daedalus, Farlesis, Mystlander, and the rest of the bunch back in the Great Tree hood.

Ashtar, you're alive!

Cash my darn check for that pizza party 3 months ago already!

Very Happy

I don't know that we need our shard, but we can set up our hoods on all the existing servers.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be worth either emailing The World who runs the CC Shard or either Tijara or Wolfie who run the GoG Shard just to find out what they did/doing with their respective shards. I've read different things that some shards have some things enabled while others don't. But emailing them might give us some more insight into the running/setting up of a shard if that's the way we want to go forward.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farlesis wrote:
I think it might be worth either emailing The World who runs the CC Shard or either Tijara or Wolfie who run the GoG Shard just to find out what they did/doing with their respective shards. I've read different things that some shards have some things enabled while others don't. But emailing them might give us some more insight into the running/setting up of a shard if that's the way we want to go forward.

That's true Farlesis. Eric's Tapestry shard is pretty sparse right now as far as what's available, but he might be busy with other things. Or saving it for special occassions. The DLA shard seem to have the most things enabled, but it's been down quite a bit this weekend. I'm sure it will take time for everyone to get the bugs out and setup the shards.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farlesis wrote:

The CC Shard has been taken private because The World said the server couldn't handle the load of people on it, and he wants to run a story without a lot of public visitors wandering in and out.
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... now that the CC Shard has gone private, might I suggest taking a hard look at the Tapestry Shard. I just received this response e-mail from Eric L, who hosts the server:

Quote:
Actually, far as I know, it isn't possible to add the X2 stuff to Until
Uru. Since those places were finalized after Live closed, they
literally have no multiplayer code in them. Even if I were to be able
to get the Age files to download from the server, the vault wouldn't
have a clue what to do with them.

Most of X1 was holdovers from Uru Live, which is included in Until Uru.
I can probably get the marker searches and stuff back online, plus I
believe the marker games will become available, which didn't make it
into X1.

If you saw Yeesha walking around CC, it's probably some funny business
they did to the vault to allow someone to use Yeesha's custom avatar.
If that's the case, you could just as easily see Rand, Doctor Watson,
Laxman, etc there. Personally, I'd rather keep it real, so you probably
won't see Yeesha walking around, and if you see Rand walking around, it
will really be Rand.

Right now, I'm buzzing around trying to re-enable all the stuff that
existed in Live. There are a few extras, but I have no idea if they
work or not. I'll probably test them out on another server first just
to make sure I don't crash anything. There are also a few things
leftover from Choru that didn't show up in Live, which I might enable if
they still work. Nothing fancy, mostly nostalgia.

I'd love to see you at Tapestry, even if you don't choose to make it
your permanent home.

Shorah,

Eric

URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the CC shard going private, the GoG Shard are also running a pole about implementing subscriptions. I think this is going to become quite common with most shards. Then again I could be wrong Wink I have no objection to pay for access, I've been paying for online games since the days of Quake 2, various clans that I've been in with those games, we always rented our own server so we had somewhere permenant to play, practise, run matches etc. The server was always open to the public but we could also shut it down at anytime and password protect it so that only clan members could get on. So I can totally understand why shards might start asking about upkeep and payment.

Everything I've seen on the GoG shard is working, I'm currently doing the marker hunt and onto my second lot of markers, the bahro stones at the ferry and behind the library appear and disappear. The library is open which is really kewl Very Happy The only problem I'm having at the moment is with Teldahn and what appears to be a phantom sun, every now and again the machinery starts and then stops. And in Kadish some of the puzzles work and some don't. But it's not bothering me so much, I'm just glad to be back down in the Cavern with everyone.

Edit: Kadish is working, somehow sorted itself out and I completed that Age Smile Saw the boat sailing across the Lake and the big fish swimming by while looking out from the hood Smile

Anyway I will be in the GT hood on the GoG Shard tonight from 11pm GMT (6pm EST, 3pm PST I think that's right Confused ) onwards, hope to see some of you then Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: