The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Myst IV Demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Myst IV Demo Reply with quote

Quote:
Clarification time:
Macwelt, the German Mac Gamers magazine, indeed has the demo CD in their latest issue, available on newsstands today (and was received on Monday for subscribers).
"The Demo on the CD is a short demonstration of Myst IV Revelation, in English and it is HYBRID. If the demo should happen to make its way online *cough cough* then it shall indeed be playable by English PC owners.
"The official copy of the downloadable demo will likely be posted just after mid-August.
"Thanks for reading, and to all the recipients of Macwelt - enjoy!~ Kha'tie
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demo is now online.

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/myst4

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=19362
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the download before I left for work so it will be waiting for me when I get home. Of course, by then I will have been awake for almost 40 hours Shocked so maybe it won't be the best time to play.....or maybe it'll be the best time to play.........goo goo goo joob

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also available at Fileplanet Very Happy

http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=144114

Sites should never say they have exclusive rights to a demo. Of course Ubisoft may have given it to Gamespot as an exclusive demo, but in this day and age something exclusive never lasts very long. I'd rather download from Fileplanet or 3dgamer than Gamespot anyway.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is 100% meaningless. You may skip this rant as it offers nothing in the way of news or information. It combats negativity and has been written simply to balance the cosmic scales and help me vent.

I've decided I have a greater capability to suspend disbelief when it comes to these PC games than many others. I'm not bragging...it's simply a comparison.

I notice there a good number of people who are enjoying the Revelation demo...as am I. But, I've also noticed that there are a good number of people who DON'T like what they're seeing so far. Many of them have articulated quite well what it is they don't like about it and fortunately, I started playing the demo before reading any of it.

Maybe I don't have a consumer mentality.....in fact, I don't. When I buy most anything, I generally buy the cheapest and live with that. Unless I've learned from experience to stay away from certain brands. And when I say cheapest, I don't mean cheapskate. There are times when you have to spend a little more to get what you want...a great vacation, an upscale dinner in a restaurant, a night out with your honey...and of course the obligatory entertainment center. LOL. But, a book is a book...I'll look for the cheapest version. I'll review my bills on occasion and make sure I'm not getting robbed.

What I'm gettting at is VALUE! Am I getting my money's worth? And how much is a game worth anyway? Well, I am slowly working my way into the field of PC game design so I am watching very carefully all the facets that go into said career. I fiddle with a lot of programs at home...I am watching the creation of the Age of Ilathid (Myst fan game-very professionally done, it seems) and I will be attending New School University in the fall for just this concentration. In fact, I am working on an original game as I write this. My point here is it's becoming abundantly clear that a LOT of work goes into making any game.

Regarding value: $39.95 for Myst IV: Revelation. I already know I'm getting my money's worth. How do I know that? Because the screenshots are pretty, the technology described sounds very interesting, the music I heard was engaging, Rand Miller is still Atrus and I believe it's been in Ubisoft's mind to continue the Myst storyline with dignity and with a strong interest in propelling pre-rendered games into their next evolutionary phase. I can pay $10 less than that and buy any Dreamcatcher game (and I do) but the value doesn't compare. For only ten more dollars I get so much more with Revelation.

So, knowing that, feeling that it's no longer a question of getting my money's worth, I enter the world of Revelation with my rose-colored glasses on, ready to soak up all that's being offered. And this is just a demo...which, by the way, stands for demonstration...not half the game. I wasn't looking for pixelation or bad renders or limited play time. I just wanted a glimpse at what Revelation was going to be. And between the demo and the little documentaries that have been released, it all looks great. I compliment Ubisoft for their efforts, I applaud Cyan for it's contributions, and I look forward to paying the finished product when it's released.

I also continue to believe that this pervasive negativity contributed in some small way (or large) to the cancellation of Uru Live. I guess I'm still dealing with that, as well.

This was going to be longer but I think I've made my point. A lot of wonderful things have been happening this year for Myst fans and as an idealist I get a real charge in sharing that positive energy with my fellow fans. Everyone has the right to criticize....constructive criticism, I think they call it. But, that denotes some end result that will improve the subject matter in some way. Outside of the classroom, however, "constructive criticism" rarely metes that goal. Some would argue that we need critics in order to raise the bar of quality or at least maintain the status quo. I have always disagreed with this philosophy. If there's ever to be a new Renaissance, it won't be the critics pointing the way. Rather, it will be all of us, or our descendants, who turn on our collective imaginations and embrace what we can do...instead of pointing out what we do wrong.

Thank you for your time............
-Professor Askew- aka Danny Noyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: