The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Links

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Links Reply with quote

For those intersted in learning as much about D'ni culture and the language as I am, here are some links you might find useful:

Kehrin's excellent site on everything related to the world of Myst and beyond.
D'ni Desk Reference

This is an excellet site, there's also a printable dictionary with the alphabet, numerical system etc that you can print out and keep.
D'ni Pocket Dictionary

The Guild of Linguists is another excellent site, also lessons that you can download and help you become familiar with the language
Guild of Linguists

The D'ni Language site is another site with discussion about the language of the D'ni
The D'ni Language

The Di'ni Dictionary as an extensive list of D'ni words and phrases translated into English from all four games.
The D'ni Dictionary

The D'ni Encyclopedia is a program you can download onto your computer and contains everything about the language, numberical system, time, months etc.
The D'ni Encylopedia

The D'ni Linguistic Fellowship is dedicated to learning and understanding the D'ni Language.
D'ni Linguistic Fellowship

The Guild of Cartography has excellent maps on the Cleft, the City and the Ages that there working on.
Guild of Cartography

The Guild of Artisans is dedicated to studying the art and archtecture of the D'ni people and natives of the various Ages.
Guild of Artisans

Myst Researches has some excellent resources including a Calendar Convertor and D'ni Timeline
Myst Resarches

Nigel

[updated 09/01/2007]

Last edited by NSymon on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:46 pm; edited 8 times in total
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Farlesis! /prints

These are really great sites for those with a little too much time on their hands!
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post!

NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Thanks Farlesis! /prints

These are really great sites for those with a little too much time on their hands!

LOL Jon sadly I do have a little to much time on my hands Very Happy I'm even re-reading the Myst novels again. But it's such an immersive world you can't help but be drawn into it and try to understand and learn as much about it as possible. I hope eventually that more documents about the 34 kings will be released. There fascinating reading.

Last edited by NSymon on Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Sadly, I just read the Boook of Ti'ana again...

I started learning the language a number of weeks ago, and I'm slowly making progress. I still have trouble with spanish, though, so I don't really have high hopes fo rmy D'ni skills Confused
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Shocked Sadly, I just read the Boook of Ti'ana again...

This is the one I'm currently reading at the moment and of course lol while reading it I suddenly realised that Ti'ana (Anna) would be Yeesha's great-grandmother, so while reading it I'm building up a family tree.

It will be so great if they open some of the areas that are described in the book. The Council Chamber with it's five basalt thrones and domed ceiling just sounds amazing as does the home of The Guild of Writers.

But I've noticed some decrepencies as well. In the book it mentions Ri'neref as Grand Master, but yet in the notes written about him on Tokotah Rooftop it says he never reached that stage?
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Book of Ti'ana is really the best one to read in preparation for exploring the cavern; you can almost see the civilization that existed a few hundred years ago, and it seems like it was all just a blink of an eye in the past.

About Ri'neref, I would bet that, while he technically wasn't a grand master, he was usually referred to in that sense by the D'ni. They owed him a lot, and a few technicalities could probably be overlooked.
LadyAnastasia
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the links, Farlesis, excellent job!

I bought the first two Myst books in hardcover and when I was at the bookstore I saw the thrid one in hardcover (quite some time ago) and for some reason or another I didn't get it. So last weekend, I thought I'd go get it. Apparently in my oblivious state it didn't occur to my that A) it's out of print and B) many, many fans are out there.

End result is it's going to cost me $120 to get it.

Might have to think about that one. Smile

Atrus KI# 00479151
Katran KI# 00180085
Achenar KI# 00213948
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check EBay, there is a heck of a lot of stuff that comes up there if you do a search for Myst related stuff and it's a lot cheaper than what you will pay for in bookstores or online book shops.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Links, Farlesis. I had a couple of those bookmarked and now my resources have been expanded. Should I be happy?

I actually started reading The Book of Ti'ana after receiving my invite to the cavern. It was immensely exciting to walk the same paths of those I was reading about. Surreal, even.

LadyAnastasia, please DO check out eBay. I bought my hardcovers there for less than $20 each. (I can share that with you now that I've gotten mine. Confused )
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Thanks for the Links, Farlesis. I had a couple of those bookmarked and now my resources have been expanded. Should I be happy?

I actually started reading The Book of Ti'ana after receiving my invite to the cavern. It was immensely exciting to walk the same paths of those I was reading about. Surreal, even.

LadyAnastasia, please DO check out eBay. I bought my hardcovers there for less than $20 each. (I can share that with you now that I've gotten mine. Confused )

Hi Professor Askew

I totally agree with you about reading the Book of Ti'ana and reading about the places in the cavern is so thrilling and exciting. As I'm reading it again at the moment I've just got to the scene where Lord Veovis is having his party in celebration of the council's decision at the harbour pub and I'm wondering if that's the Kahlo Pub that we can walk in? Which if it is, well that's just amazing to read about it and then to be able to actually see the place Very Happy
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost chilling, Farlesis. Shocked You don't get more immersive than that. I, too, thought they referring to that very same Pub.
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but back then, it had a real door. but who cares now?

drinks are on me! (It feels so good o be able to say stuff like tha again!)
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trahald wrote:
but back then, it had a real door. but who cares now?

drinks are on me! (It feels so good o be able to say stuff like tha again!)

Um... this thread is ancient Shocked But yeah, ok! I'll have a drink next time I'm in the cavern. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> D'ni Research All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: