The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Cobb's H'uru Community Helps Cyan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Cobb's H'uru Community Helps Cyan Reply with quote

I just thought you might like to read this post from Mark DeForest of Cyan that was posted a bit ago up on the Cobb's forum:

Quote:
As we (Cyan) were getting close to making gold master for The Path of the Shell, the QA lab found a bug that had to be fixed. Doh!

As it turned out the fix was two python scripts. Not bad... pretty easy. Did another build creating a new python.pak file. Ok, good. Only one file to update on the CD (the less files updated the better).

But... hmmmm... How can we verify that only those two python scripts changed in the pak file? Of course! I grabbed the UruPython extractor from COBBS. Extracted the old python.pak and the new one and compared the directories. Excellent!

So, here is a thanks to all at H'uru! Especially Anonymous54321
Chogon (Mark DeForest)

It just goes to show that Cobb's and the Uru Hacking community are doing some great stuff. Another message that Mark posted:

Quote:
There may be some positive news from Cyan about the Uru server code in the next couple of weeks... Stay tuned.

So it looks like TPOTS is almost ready to be sent to Ubisoft for distribution, and the fan based Uru Live servers are one step closer to reality.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are they at with this fan-based Uru Live server? I haven't been paying all that much attention because I'm technically not one of those folks who goes fiddling around with game files. (Quiet, you, Ashtar.... Wink ) I like my gaming nice and easy and done for me. And I remember reading that no matter how good these folks at COBBS are, and no matter how much work they do.....they'll never be able to get more than one avatar in a game....that everything concerning multi-player will be done through the KI. Is this still accurate? And if so....what makes it any different than playing the game with an instant messenger running in the background? Is it the number of people? How many people will be able to play on the COBBS dealie? And if you can't see anyone, won't communication be kind of messy? Help me, here. How exciting will this be? And I mean that with all possible kindness. I'm not trying to take away from anybody's hard work.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
And I remember reading that no matter how good these folks at COBBS are, and no matter how much work they do.....they'll never be able to get more than one avatar in a game....that everything concerning multi-player will be done through the KI. Is this still accurate?

That's not accurate Professor Smile If Cyan & Ubisoft gives the OK, then we will be able to setup our own fan based servers that will operate almost exactly like the Live servers of a few months ago. You will be able to interact with other Avatar's, play heek again, etc. There are still some hurdles to overcome, but from what I've read up on Cobbs, they are pretty minor. There is always a down side, and one will be that it's not being officially run by Cyan who is the content creator. That doesn't mean that the fans can't create their own DRC, Phil Henderson, Doug Sharper, and other characters. It depends on how much freedom that Cyan will give the H'uru community. Also, it might be that Cyan may not allow the creation of our own ages. In which case, I'm not sure if the interest would be there just to meet in the hoods or the city again without anything new to explore. We will just have to wait and see what comes out from Cyan.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. that sounds a LOT more intriguing. Keep me posted.....in layman's terms. LOL.

And for those of us who completed Prime prior to Live....there was no new content. Except for what the NPCs brought to it. New content was never an issue for me. Just the Cavern's closure.
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then, if we make our own DRC, ask Cyan what they were planning to do.

I'm looking for a list of everything to do as far as hacking goes. not crazy enough to mess around w/the actual source code w/out a guide. moving completed stuff around, like KIRC, is more up my alley.
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is "Yeeeee haaaaa!" Cool
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've learned not to get my hopes up.

We may get PotS released sooner. We may eventually get to setup our own Uru servers.

Simply put, we just don't know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: