The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Hacking Uru & COBBS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Hacking Uru & COBBS Reply with quote

As you can see from my Avatar, I've been experimenting with hacking Uru a bit Smile I wanted to give you an update on what the COBBS(Clockwork Orange BBS) group is accomplishing. Right now, ycikamookow has a IRC chat client working through his KI. He's in the process of putting it all together for the rest of us to try. Even though we won't have other Avatar's to interact with, at least we will be able to chat with others in-game. I'm not sure if it will be available as a simple patch, or if it will be a bit more involved.

They are also making progress on a fan run server(s). If they can pull this off, it will bring Live back from the dead. They still have a long way to go, but it's getting there. I can only wish them the best of luck because I don't have any network programming skills to speak of.

But I've been having fun just doing some of the hacks that have been accomplised so far. Fly mode is great, you can get some nice pictures. I have most of the hidden clothing options like the Santa Hat, Cyan T-Shirt, and yes, even the Great Tree jacket:

I don't have the Maintainer's suit yet, but I'm working on it Smile I can see Shroomie up close now and can make changes to the journals, like Sharper's 04 Journal. Note the 04.04.2004 entry of "There is someone here". I thought Brian should at least be back in the cavern Smile Also, I thought Doug's final entry was too "final", so I changed it a bit:

http://home.comcast.net/~uru_fan/pictures/SharperJournal.jpg

I have more pictures I will be uploading into Webshots later for those who want to visit my gallery.
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oo...very nice! like the journal...

so, how do you get the clothing? is there a patch, and do i need live files for it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gadren wrote:
oo...very nice! like the journal...

so, how do you get the clothing? is there a patch, and do i need live files for it?

Right now, the clothing options are only available by changing the Python source code and then re-compiling. However, it may be available in the Uru Trainer or an easy patch later on.
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What eyeglasses are those? Something looks different about them.

Are they the Atrus goggles?

Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehl Nava wrote:

What eyeglasses are those? Something looks different about them. Are they the Atrus goggles?

Yes, they are the Atrus goggles. One of the extra's you get from hacking Uru. Hopefully this and other items will be available in-game sometime in the future. I think they should at least allow us to find the Great Tree jacket, goggles, Maintainer's suit, and a few other goodies.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Those new journal entries are awesome! Cool

NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtar wrote:
Tehl Nava wrote:

What eyeglasses are those? Something looks different about them. Are they the Atrus goggles?

Yes, they are the Atrus goggles. One of the extra's you get from hacking Uru. Hopefully this and other items will be available in-game sometime in the future. I think they should at least allow us to find the Great Tree jacket, goggles, Maintainer's suit, and a few other goodies.

Oh wow didn't realise the goggles were from hacking the game, thought you had just done a photoshop effect. Would be kewl if we got the goggles sometime. I miss my santa hat Crying or Very sad Wore it over the two days we had to wear it so we could keep it. Hope we get that back as well.
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post exactly what you did to get the jacket?
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trahald wrote:
Could you post exactly what you did to get the jacket?

Unfortunately, getting the clothing options is not a simple patch, at least not yet. It requires modifying the Python source code, recompiling, and then replacing the Python.pak file in Uru. If you want to give it a try, probably the best place to start would be the "Tools" section of COBBS. For decompiling and changing the Python code, you need two files. UruPython and Decompyle. UruPython is at:

http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=501

and Decompyle is at:

http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=531

Next, you also need to download the Python22 package at:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.2.3/Python-2.2.3.exe

Once you have all the files you need, print out and read the instructions in the Urupython .zip archive. It takes you step-by-step on how to install the files along with an example on how to make a change in the Uru python source code and re-compiling. Once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. I've written a couple of small batch files that makes the compiling process a bit easier. The "Lets Talk Python" thread on Cobbs has several examples of changing the Uru source for such items as the clothing, seeing Shroomie up close, etc. If you do give this a try, and need any help, just feel free to ask.
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANd, of course, the number one rule of hacking Uru is to make a backup first.

Bad experience Crying or Very sad
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
ANd, of course, the number one rule of hacking Uru is to make a backup first.

Bad experience Crying or Very sad

Yeah, what Jon said. If you are going to play around with hacking Uru, make a backup of your SAV folder, along with backup copies of your Python.pak and/or journal.pak files before you mess with them. I also make a backup copy of my .py python source file so that if something goes wrong I can always revert back to the original.

Also note that hacking Uru also terminates any support agreements specified in the Eula with Ubisoft and Cyan.
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, what i do is just make an entire copy of the whole uru folder, and use that copy to hack with...

in order for To D'ni to be installed to the right directory, tohugh, i had to delete the hack folder, and remake it once i was done with To D'ni, so i'll do the same for PotS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gadren wrote:
in order for To D'ni to be installed to the right directory, though, I had to delete the hack folder, and remake it once I was done with To D'ni, so I'll do the same for PotS.

Or you could just move that hack folder to your desktop folder so it won't mix that up with the one in "program files".

just a tip from the guy who made his own URU soundtrack by scouring the sfx folder. finally found the gallery theme.
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...ui'll try that next time!

and i did the soundtrack thing - burned it to a CD... Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Standing at the edge of the world Reply with quote

I'm standing at the edge of the world, and I have this uncanny Deja Truman feeling....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: