The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Great King's Linking Abilities
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: The Great King's Linking Abilities Reply with quote

In the notes on the Great King Ahlsendar, it says the following:

Quote:
During his life, there were numerous rumours abounding about Ahlsendar and special linking abilities. Numerous witnesses claimed that he did not need Linking Books to go from one place to another and numerous others claimed he could link to different spots within an Age. However none of these rumours were ever confirmed.

Remind anyone of anything? Certainly raises some interesting questions.
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days it seems like there's so many applications of linking technology afoot, it's hard to keep up with who's doing what.

Though, if any of these abilities are intrinsic, I'd assume it'd have something to do with being born between Ages, assuming the legend is true, which I feel it likely is. What I can't figure out is exactly how it could have worked. Of course, linking technology is a mystery to us, and likely always will be, but there's always been the question of, exactly what links? To link requires contact with the linking panel, but beyond that, it's hard to reach a conclusion. Gases can't link, liquids neither I don't believe, but what class of solids? A certain volume would be necessary, I think. We can't have just any stray microorganisms coming in and out of Ages.... and if a cliff were to fall on a linking book, the cliff wouldn't link through, I'd hope. As has been noted, Gehn's leather glove was able to link, and the palms of the dead men in the last days of the D'ni empire, and a few other things. But I think the real question is, where does it stop? When I link, if someone's holding my hand, they link as well, I'm fairly certain. What about the fly on my shoulder? What about my clothing? What if it's too loose? What if I was encased in a narrow cave, with my skin pressed against the rock?

Anyway, I'm digressing, because the real point that I was trying to make was, if the Great King is special because he was born between Ages, what does that mean? That his mother linked as he was coming out of the womb? I thought linking was instantaneous? How can they tell, anyway--by watching the panel, or just having a deeper knowledge of the technology involved than surface-dweller will ever hold? Okay, now I'm getting still further from the point, because what I'm trying to say is, if the Ahlsendar somehow passed the level of connection that he had while in the womb as he was linking--he became an individual being and wasn't part of the link with her--then it would've had to have been on a molecular level, I'd think. But, at exactly which point does a pregnant woman turn into a woman with a little person inside of her? Again, if this is instantaneous, literally, then there wouldn't had to have been some kind of divine intervention, to allow for exactness of time--to allow for the possbility of two things to occur at exactly the same moment in time. The two things being the link and the birth.

I don't know how Yeesha could've been involved. If she'd somehow studied the Great King and learned his secrets.... but, she seems to imply that she figured out all this herself, because she 'thinks different'.
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gases can't link, liquids neither I don't believe, but what class of solids? A certain volume would be necessary, I think. We can't have just any stray microorganisms coming in and out of Ages.... and if a cliff were to fall on a linking book, the cliff wouldn't link through, I'd hope. As has been noted, Gehn's leather glove was able to link, and the palms of the dead men in the last days of the D'ni empire, and a few other things. But I think the real question is, where does it stop? When I link, if someone's holding my hand, they link as well, I'm fairly certain. What about the fly on my shoulder? What about my clothing? What if it's too loose? What if I was encased in a narrow cave, with my skin pressed against the rock?

Sorry to partially derail this topic, but I remember something rather interesting that Yeesha said that I don't think has come up yet. I'll quote as best I can:

"The Bahro, after all, were only animals. Animals that could link"

She placed a very strong emphasis on the last word (as well as general sarcasm throughout). Perhaps this suggests that 'true' animals- those without intelligence or, arguably, a soul- could not link? If self-consciousness is a trigger in linking, and not the physical material or size, I think it might very well work. There is, after all, a part of the brain that governs our 'self' in a spatial sense- if this is a determining factor in what is linked, it would certainly allow for gloves, clothing, and backpacks as well (since we think of them as 'with' us, if not a part of us as with tattoos or the like), and not for, say, the rocks we were trapped under or the ground we were standing on. Also, since a rock cannot have a sense of self nor ownership, it cannot link itself.

Just my 2c. Sorry to derail it :p
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: We linked without a book at the end of To D'ni.
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Yeesha was being sarcastic when she said "they're only animals, after all." I thought that she was parroting the excuse that the D'ni had used when they enslaved the Bahro. The D'ni thought it was ok, because they called the Bahro animals instead of sentient beings.

It was The Watcher who was born between Ages. The King Loshemanesh and King Ji Monument Books talk about that.

I would love to learn more about King Ahlsendar's abilities. I figure that if Yeesha can do it, maybe others were able to do things like that, too. A very few others. It was obviously not a common thing at all.

Now that the DRC aren't working down there anymore, I wonder how we'll get more historical information.

Smile
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I want to know more about Ahlsendar as well. Very interesting King and lots of questions circuling in my head about him with regards to being sealed within the Temple/Tomb of the Great King of his own choosing and books being sealed in with him. Did he link anywhere while he was in there? Even though his wife and two sons were murdered, did he find a new wife? Could Yeesha be a descendant? Just questions that float about in my head now and again.
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine King Ahlsendar having trouble living with the knowledge that he'd destoyed countless worlds and whole populations with that plague, and that he was warned that it could mutate and harm his own people. If he was merely trying to protect his own people from the plague, he could have destroyed those books or sealed them into a vault of some kind. He didn't have to seal himself in there, too, unless he felt responsible and wanted to suffer the same fate himself. I could be very wrong about this, but that is how it struck me when I read of it.

It's interesting that when Jolatha broke the seal, the plague killed her and spread and killed many D'ni people, but when Atrus broke the seal, the plague was apparently not a danger any longer.

Smile
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
"The Bahro, after all, were only animals. Animals that could link"

Perhaps this suggests that 'true' animals- those without intelligence or, arguably, a soul- could not link? If self-consciousness is a trigger in linking, and not the physical material or size, I think it might very well work.

I think you may have hit it on the head. Or some part of it, at least. I don't know if linking technology could be advanced enough to read thoughts and determine self-image, but maybe to detect intelligence, like you said, as a trigger.... maybe 'scan' for presences?

Actually, I interpreted Yeesha's remark differently; if the Bahro could link without Books, at will, then that could explain their feats of mobility. It's the difference between 'I can fly! On an airplane' and 'I can fly--with my magic powers'. Though that's something else entirely.

Kehrin wrote:
It was The Watcher who was born between Ages. The King Loshemanesh and King Ji Monument Books talk about that.

Ah, oops. Right. Thanks for the tip, Kehrin. I guess I didn't read those documents thoroughly enough.

When you take a step back from the subtle association of machines and electronics with the word 'technology' as used in the term 'linking technology', linking does seem to be a lot more biological and chemical than mechanical. Which might give even more support to the idea of a person, a living being, having special linking abilities unique to themselves.

Hopefully we'll learn more about the Great King as events unfold.
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many things in this new material that hint at deep intriguing stories! I'm so interested in the tale of the Relyimah, the whole story of Yableshan's life, and also of Faresh's life and home. I can't wait to hear more! I wonder where we'll go next!

Smile
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehrin wrote:

It's interesting that when Jolatha broke the seal, the plague killed her and spread and killed many D'ni people, but when Atrus broke the seal, the plague was apparently not a danger any longer.

Smile

Yes that thought crossed my mind as well Smile

It will be definitely interesting to see where we go next.
KnightShayde
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsut a quuick thought..then im off to bed (*its 6am here )...if we can get to the chamber of the king..which atruis did...and we can go to teranee like atruis did....(wold be wonderfull to see what has happend to that age during the last couple of centuries)....then there is a room WITH THOUSANDS of books...a hundred or so might still be operational.....endless xpack potienital here..(*HINT HINT cyan...) /wink
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it would be so great if we can eventually at some point be able to get to The Tomb of the Great King. Whether we will be able to get to Terahnee I wouldn't like to say, I only just re-read Book of D'ni as well over Christmas and I can't remember now what Atrus did with the linking book. Memory like a sieve.
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoD was a little hard to understand at the end, but I think Atrus sealed the Book of Terahnee into the King's Tomb again, and on Terahnee (or Devokan) they sealed the book leading back to D'ni in a stone vault under huge heavy slabs of stone.

They found the actual descriptive Book of Terahnee, not just a linking book, in the King's Tomb, but I don't know whether they had the actual Book of D'ni (earth) on Terahnee or if it was just a linking book.

Smile
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder Kehrin, I couldn't remember what Atrus had done with the book. Yes I remember the stone vault and thinking at the time when I read what an awesome puzzle that would make if we had to do it Smile

No I don't know either if they had an actual Book of D'ni in Terahnee, from what was said it BoD it didn't seem like it. But who knows.
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Watson says, "Catherine's journals aren't clear on this point. My guess is that it was a Linking Book, though." Basically means they haven't bothered to work on the idea, but they're not leaving anything out, since they could use said idea in a new Myst game, or Uru expansion packs, or wherever. It's a fascinating idea, anyway. Descriptive Book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> URU Expansions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: