The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Within
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Cuzinjohn

There was some talk on the UO forum that words of the files 'stana' 'rev' 'ack' etc could a be a D'ni word or name of a place, but I think that idea has been dismissed?

Kind of reminds me of Gehn's lab in Riven. I still think the answer as well lies in Stan's cryptic clue.

'Fifteen of them give the combination
find the hidden within the hidden
picture to the place where it began
and find your destination'

I wonder if it's the Lodge near the cleft where Anna (Ti'ana) grew up?
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an apparatus which seems to be placed near the center of the drawing. It looks like it's in a dome, possibly with windows. An observatory? The piece of equipment in the center look metal. I can see something like hooked 'legs'--either three of them, or a fourth which I can't see. If three, it would remind me a bit of a tripod. The object slightly to the left of the machine, with the 'folded' legs, seems to be a chair. Maybe someone must sit in the chair to operate the device?

'Fifteen of them give the combination / find the hidden within the hidden / picture to the place where it began / and find your destination". The first line seems to state that there's a combination. A combination the machinery? Or to get to the dome with the machinery? Does 'fifteen of them give' mean that fifteen of 'them', when combined, form a combination, or when fifteen are put together, they bring forth the combination in some way? The hidden with the hidden might support the idea that the machinery is a telescope, or some type of viewing device--the 'hidden' being the device itself, the 'hidden with the hidden' being something hidden inside the device, or possibly viewed through the device. The last two lines, about 'where it all began' and 'find your destination' seem to touch upon the ideas of the circle, and the journey. But now I'm wondering--is it Atrus's journey, the explorer's journey, or the traveler's journey? If this is Myst IV, then there's a good chance it'd be the traveler. The fissure is of key importance to the traveler's journey, and the telescope is associated with the fissure--it's visible to the side of the volcano near the clear, almost as a reminder of the circular nature of these things.

I suppose we must wait for more clues. I haven't really been following these puzzles, so forgive me if I don't quite know the whole story.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes now that you mention it, it does look like a telescope. As Uru is set in the present day, I'm assuming Myst IV will be following the previous three in that it's set in the past. And for the life of me I can't remember where I read it, but it was said that Myst IV covers a history that we haven't known before. But it does look like a telescope similiar to the one in Riven.

A return to the fissure, which would be in some sense where we began with the Myst linking book. Excellent ideas Zen-17.
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if we look at it this way:

'Fifteen of them give the combination; find the hidden within the hidden picture, to the place where it began, and find your destination'

This seems to suggest that after we assemble the picture, there will be a hidden puzzle inside it. What it implies to me is that the picture itself hides something, not the apparatus. More specifically, I think that the peices' names, in the proper order, will yield a code, or at least D'ni phrases. Note that there are sixteen peices, but since 'firstpeice' is obviously not a part of the cypher, we are left with fifteen phrases. "Fifteen of them give the combination"- that doesn't mean that there are only fifteen.

EDIT: Random thought, and maybe getting ahead of myself a bit, but could the code be solved on some way by studying the initial positions of the pictures? Many were found at odd angles, upside-down or sideways; to my knowledge, Stan didn't do this with the last picture.

PPS: Another random thought. The wording of the riddle is just 'return to the place where you began'; it says nothing of the picture. Is that a mistake you made, Farlesis, or are there more subtle forces at work? Shocked I think the idea still stands regardless, but should we perhaps be thanking Stan for the hint?
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuzin-Where did you find the upper left picture? rev.jpg Is it on the reborn site?
MOULa KI: #10750831
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Is that a mistake you made, Farlesis, or are there more subtle forces at work? Shocked I think the idea still stands regardless, but should we perhaps be thanking Stan for the hint?

Hi Jon

Your right my mistake, I mis-read the word Laughing It is 'Return'
Gas Station Stan
Mysterious
Mysterious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another clue on orkut... Stan gets around.

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed heh heh....you can probably blame me for that one...
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaharen wrote:
Cuzin-Where did you find the upper left picture? rev.jpg Is it on the reborn site?

I scarfed them all from the UO forum that Stan originally posted in. I think they strated getting posted here at t GT forums with the 3rd... so I went to UO to find 1 & 2. I'm letting all you folks FIND the pix scattered all over the web, I'm just trying to assemble them. Laughing

BTW, it doesn't look like the filenames are adding up to anything, unless after we get ALL of them we play a round of anagrams.

Cheers!

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I've collected and pieced together so far:

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the very interesting clue that Stanley left over at Orkut.

This certainly isn't one of the pictures in the puzzle. Don't know what to make of it. At the top, 15 takes us back to the beginning. And that takes us to ten. Obviously it's a loop.

An apostrophe before a number generally denotes a year...as in 1983?

The last series of numbers is in quotes....

And the page or journal number is 14 or 24? Just a little rusty in that department.

ALSO--If you count the number of numbers in the sequence...and if you count the series of numbers in quotes as one "number"...then you have 15 numbers...one number for each picture in the puzzle?
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking. As we have to flip and mirror some of the pics, do you think we might need to do that with the file names too? For example, for.jpg had to be flipped horizontal. Maybe it should now be named rof.jpg. Maybe they would make some more sense. I may be wrong, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

P.S. The journal number is 14.
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could these two pics from Stan be the same thing? I know the table is on the left and not center in the drawings, but perhaps the machines are the same.

Jaharen wrote:
This is what I've collected and pieced together so far:

Stan posted this pic at UO.

NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets more and more intriguing with each new posting.

I'm no good with numbers its embaressing, so I'm not going to say anything about the journal with the various numbers on. But Jahren with us having to flip some of the pictures around we might have to flip some of the file names around as well. What do we have so far in terms of file names?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: