The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Great Tree gives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tokai
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: The Great Tree gives Reply with quote

A great community ‘The Great Tree’- people get together, some more than others – daily for some. There are others that are so busy – they can only log in now and again. But there’s something missing – what does the ‘The Great Tree’ give? Has the community ever given? Think about it – a large community like the GT – so powerful.

Come on Brian, I’m sure you’ll come up with a deserving cause for the GT to give.

There are countless charities out there, and here is a body of good people that I’m sure will donate whatever (the cost of a GT jacket for instance) to a cause you chose. Be it a liver transplant - to a contribution to an underdeveloped health org etc.

“I’m a member of the Great Tree – yeah, we helped build that new wing on the Cancer Research blah… blah… blah…” Get my drift?

Perhaps I’m pushing it – but I would certainly donate to a worthy cause that the GT comes up with. If anything – it would put us heads above the other forums.

I’m not asking TGT to turn into a charity org; I just feel that it would be nice to know that we are so good that we contributed to blah… blah… blah…

I know I’m going to get a lot of flak from the ‘old sweat’ members for this post – but what the hell.

I’ll be the first to contribute to any worthy cause you come up with.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Let the true members shine.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused by your intentions here.

Quote:
If anything – it would put us heads above the other forums.

Is that important for some reason?

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, Tokai, I think your intentions are honorable, I really do. But, your choice of wording is a little off, I think. It almost sounds like a "put up or shut up" kind of threat.

There have always been charities to contribute to....always will be. There were charities before Uru and there will be charities after Expansion Pack 128. Charities are, like religion and politics, a matter of personal choice and probably shouldn't be discussed in a gaming forum.

Perhaps some day the Great Tree's (virtual) aspirations can cross over to Real Life. Frankly, I'd rather not mix the two. For me, the life I live in my head is just as important as the life I live outside of it. I need the escape. The last thing I want to see is the Great Tree backing of a presidential candidate, community service messages on the television and other well-intentioned promotions.

I don't want to be heads above other forums. I just want to have fun.
Tokai
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, I’m sorry … I won’t raise the subject again. Your answer of being confused implies indifference or - ambiguity in my post. Whatever – I sadly acknowledge your reply - please be assured I won’t post the same topic again. Oh! – enjoy your pizza.
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the professor. Let our IC and OOC lives stay out of each other.

On a side note, I don't mean to harp on you but you did invite the flak, you might want to consider how new you are to this group. Take a look at those members who do post daily and have been around a while longer, then talk. I can't take you seriously because I don't know you. From the regular posters, you can get a feel for who they are. Also look at the average posts per day percentage and take a look at yourself. I know my own percentage is less than one post per day, but I've been around a lot longer than you have and I know the people here. As for your "Let the true members shine," that's crap. Knock yourself out donating, but don't try to me look bad because I'm not following in your footsteps. Okay, I'm stepping down from my soapbox now.
MOULa KI: #10750831
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokai: As the Professor mentioned, I think your intentions are honorable. I do give to charaties myself on a personal basis, but I think it should be up to the individual themselves on what to give and in what manner. Perhaps the money for the pizza party could have gone to a more worthy cause, but it's OK just to have fun once in awhile and to give to those who make our lives a bit more enjoyable by doing something for the good people at Cyan.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to be so abrupt in my reply, I was just a little confused by your intentions. I agree that a charitable donation would be a noble thing and am open to the suggestion. Your post seemed a little accusatory, that's all.

CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tree gives Reply with quote

Tokai wrote:
Let the true members shine.

OK, what is THAT all about?

I hope that no one is trying to imply that membership requires a donation of some kind. Likewise, I hope that no one is trying to infer that participation, or a lack thereof, in a group-wide effort of doing some good will create a caste of sorts, true members vs. un-true members.

There are many things that I contribute to. To most of which, I attach my name. Some contributions I choose to make anonymously, for reasons of my own. Either way, I make them because I choose to do so.

Who exactly are you, Tokai, to attempt to make me feel inferior if I choose NOT to contribute to something?

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following this thread since it started yesterday thinking about replying and then holding back to see how things go.

But I shall wade into the deep waters.

First off every member is valued here whether they make just one posting or a hundred, and it in no way reflects any kind of standing. Everyone is equal.

Tokai your intentions of a charitable donation are honorable, but at the same time you manage to alienate people with such phrases as 'let the true memebers shine' and 'old sweat members'. And there is no need for us to put our heads above other forums as Brian has already said. The Myst Community is very unique in that the community shares and works together, there is no need for this idea of one being above the other, or more important. It will only result in bickering, fuding and name calling.

And again as well I think that charitable donations are best left to the individual to make, it is a personal matter that people should be allowed to make in their own way and by there own actions, without seeking some kind of reward.
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that everyone is equal, but how much credibility you give someone is based purely on personal experience. Here on forums, the only way you get to know someone is by what they post. The fewer the posts, the less well known a person is. That's all my point was.
MOULa KI: #10750831
Tokai
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit a nerve did we?

‘Nah… it’s not such a good idea’ would have sufficed – crucify me if you will, I rather expected it from the ‘old sweats’.

I personally wouldn’t judge someone solely from the number of posts he enters in a forum, but rather the content. My analysis of the response? – We are what we write!

I wasn’t going to add to the thread after the initial response and indicated such – but common etiquette has prompted this addendum. I acknowledge the response and hope the thread is now closed.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I lived in a fantasy world.

Tokai, you continue to write in this thread with the same selfrighteous attitude you began it with.

I don't think you hit a nerve at all and if you understood our responses you would would realize that you offended a few people here with your rude suppositions. You don't know any of us personally, you don't know what charities we may or may not give to, and you don't know what our mindset was in participating with the Great Tree group, a role-playing group that sprung from a GAME. Perhaps we took the in-game plot more seriously than others but that in no way obligates us to set the world right. It's okay if you think otherwise. And it's okay if we don't.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The endearing thing about young people is they believe that they know everything and that they will change the world.
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing! I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten any dumber since I graduated, but darned if my parents aren't seeming smarter and smarter. Rolling Eyes

Tokai, in keeping with both realistic expectations and the general spirit of the Great Tree, why don't you just make a post about X worthy cause that you donated to, and explain why they need our time and money as well. Don't just get on our case for a situation you know virtually nothing about.
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us prefer to do good deeds and contribute to charities from behind the scenes, without all the hoopla of recognition.

Let us not forget, pride was a contributing factor to the fall of D'ni...
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: