The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

My Myst Journal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: My Myst Journal Reply with quote

I just decided I would write this journal as if it was in the early 1800's. I'm basing this on RAWA's Game vs Reality stuff. So, here it is.

Entry 1:

I start this journal in what very well might be my prison. more on that later. I might as well clarify, in case I go insane and need something to help me cling to reality.
I was a member of the Corps of Discovery. After we reached the pacific, I decided to do some exploring of my own. I was being called for some strange reason. I felt like Elijah when God told him to hide in the desert. Ironiccaly, that wasn't too far from the truth. I filled up my canteens with distilled ocean water, and headed south. By now they've probably left without me, saying I died in the prairie or something.
After several months, I had tanned considerably, and frequently filled my canteens from the occasional brook. That method of hydration didn't last forever, as I came across a vast desert. Because the sand was not yet hot enough to hide everything outside of half a mile in a vast mirage, I was able to see an extinct volcano in the distance. I decided to make for that, partly due to curiosity, but also because that call was tugging at me harder than ever.
After half an hour, I was within sprinting distance of this volcano. When I got nearer, I saw a fissure nearby, and decided to check that out. I found the walls decorated with very intricate carvings, as well as several rooms. It wasn't inhabited for-I'd say-20 years maybe. Best of all, there was a pool of fresh water at the bottom. I refilled my canteen and used it immediately.
I explored the area surrounding the cleft and found a book-corner poking out of the sand. I picked it up, and saw a dark square on the first page. Then the picture started moving. Not across the page, which would have been enough of a marvel, but it was asif a camera could shoot entire moments instead of just split seconds. And this camera was flying towards an island. It landed on the dock. I wanted to see what material could do this, but when I reached out my fingertip I found I couldn't feel it. Then I noticed my fingertip was gone! Then my hand was flickering away! This disappearing quickly covered all of me, and I couldn't see a thing. after a second, my vision flickered on just like my hand had flickered away, and I was standing on the dock in the picture!

to be continued...

Last edited by Trahald on Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry 2:

The journals in the library have cleared things up a bit. I know what's with the book, at least. apparently, Atrus learned somehere how to create worlds by writing them into existance. Wait- what did I say? He himself has the basic attitude in his writing that these worlds hold elements he had not thought up. Maybe if they link to preexisting ones...but how could it still conform to what someone writes, then? will sleep on this. The chair in the planetarium works well for that. very comf

>historian's note< It's possible that the author fell asleep mid-word. This researcher doesn't blame him.

to be continued...
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry 3:

Oh. Morning already? must have fallen asleep mid-word.

>historian's note< See? I was right! (for more information about these journals, go to "Atrus's notes from Myst", a transcript of the editings the Millers did based on Atrus's original work.)

to be continued...
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry 4:

Why didn't I see it before?
I was going to play with that stargazer machine in the planetarium some more, when I saw a note by Atrus to Catherine. When I investigated the dock closer, I found a message addresed to her again. It is of Atrus speaking to his wife.

"Catherine my love, I have to leave quickly. something terrible has happened. It's hard for me to believe. Most of my books have been destroyed. Catherine, It's one of our sons! I suspect Achenar, but I shouldn't leap to conclusions. I'll find him, and Sirrus as well. oh, I should have known better than to have left my library unchecked for so long! Well, I've removed the remaining undamaged books from the library and placed them in the places of protection. You shouldn't have to use the books 'til I return, but if you've forgotten the access keys, remember the tower rotation. Oh, and don't worry, Catherine. Everything will be fine. I'll see you shortly. Oh, and erase this message after you viewed it, just to be safe."

Due to the fact that I was able to view this message, Catherine hadn't seen it. Good thing for me, too. The tower rotates? the colock tower, or...

I'm in the tower, finding the access keys. and wondering what was with Sirrus and achenar anyway. maybe it's time to risk it with those other 2 linking books in the library. I've got nothing else to do.

to be continued...
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trahald

This is really cool Smile I would be interested in reading your first thoughts of arriving on the dock, what did you see around you, how did you feel. Where did you go first? Or did you look around the island first?

Look forward to reading more.
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry 5:

I've been on this island for 24 hours now. I think. Forgive me if it sounds like I'm rambling, but I'm just trying to find my bearings.

God, I'm hungry. Worst part, I left that bow with Clarke before setting off. And those seagulls keep flying over my head. The waves add to this sense of isolation. The worst part is the wind. In the land right by the dock, There's nothing to stop it. Even though I've figured out the basics on playing with what Atrus calls the Art, I still have no idea how it got here. Except, I do remember a dream that was part of my being called to the desert. It was a voice just like Atrus's saying:

"I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned. It continued falling into that starry expanse of which I had only a fleeting glimpse I've tried to speculate where it might have landed. I must admit that such conjecture is futile. Still, the questions about whose hands might one day hold my MYST book are unsettling to me. I know my apprehensions might never be allayed, and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

wait. I just remembered the ending t that dream. The book lands in the desert, by A MOUNTAIN AND A FISSURE!!! evidently, My arriving here was more than just a strange coincidence.

But how does that help me get food?

to be continued...
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry 6:

I've just had the strangest experience. I fanally gathered myself, and put the red and blue pages into their respective books. And I saw a bit through the haze. I saw 2 feet into a room, a different one for each book, and foundpeople who claim to be Sirrus and Achenar, sitting on the other side of the window. What they said was being writen on the bottom of the page, and then disappearing after I had read it. I heard constant demands for red and blue pages. And Achenar was about to explain how to get them, but the stuped connection failed at that point. So, now I know where they are, but why are they there? And why did Atrus want to question them?
And when am I going to get something to eat?

to be continued...
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Historian's note< Much of the rest of this jounal is notes on puzzle solutions. so I'll just record the relevant text from now on.
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry 7:

>diagrams depicting a water desalination machine<

IT WORKS!!!!

I've managed to add a router switch to those cables running to the "spaceship", whatever that is. I have 17 volts of power powering this thing, and made a pipe from wider sticks that fall down the trees. It has to be pumped by hand, but small consoltion. I no longer have to be careful with my canteen!!

By the way, I found out how to use that access key yesterday. It works on the clocktower and leads to another linking book. Atrus probably left a Myst book there, but I don't want to link yet. Sirrus is getting impatient, but screw him. he's a snob. This becomes more apparent to me every day. Anddon't even get me started on Achenar. TOO LATE!! he's always drooling and experiencing moodswings that could rival Sacagewea's in one of her pregnancy outbursts. Which is odd, as Achenar is a male. He's always drooling, and never says anything intelligible. Or maybe that's the all too frequent static. maybe I should start finding those pages.

to be continued...
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry 8:

>access key to mechanical age<

>map of mechanical age.<

I'm on the south island, looking at the rotating fortress.

in a very ornate throne room. Rennaisance-looking paintings, marble throne, that kind of thing. can only assume it's Sirrus's. secret room there containing too much change, too much wine (tasty, though), and a red page.

in a very grim throne room with Maces, battle axes, and other things I would not want on my neck. another secret room in here. This one contained a rotting skeleton, an electric cage, poisons, and a blue page.

>notes depicting symbols to open staircase<

found Sirrus's telescope focuses on a hanging skeleton when the fortress is oriented to the east. avoided Achenar's room whenever I could. just took the long way through Sirrus's room.

>drawing of stairs<

If only I had that for an entrance to my bedroom. My sister wouldn't have screwed up my room so much. I lived on a southern plantation with a huge house. So I was one of those few children who had their own room.

linked back to Myst. Achenar was a little more intelligible, but not much.

getting some sleep. busy day tommorrow. gonna try to see if I can get into channelwood.

to be continued...
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entry 9:

>picture of tree elevator<

okay. that's a cool place to hide a book. I wonder how that light source works.

>historian's note< Remember, this is sometime around 1803, at the other end of the century from the invention of the light bulb.

Atrus was right. It is a different world. I'm walking on a small maze of wooden planks, and hoping I don't lose my balance, because I have no idea how deep that water is. all the pathways here seem to lead to the only bit of dry land I can find. a delolate rock. Here I am, listening to insects, birds, and surrounded by life, and the only piece of real land is barren. funny, in a grim sort of way.

>crude map of planks<

Everything here runs on hydropower. that windmill would be more accurately described as a wind-pump routed power to the teathered closet. hoping the rope doesn't snap.

>picture of what people would later know as an elevator<

It's a good thing I took Atrus's book along. It has a map in it, and without that, I'm lost.

I'm on the third level, and it's very unsettling. I found a moving image of Achenar float ing in midair (?), and a control panel for that image that still has a moving picture, but at least it's a little more feasable. It's on a flat surface. room itself is very scary to be in. There are so many gaps, 6 inches wide, that open up all the way to the sea below. I much rather prefer Sirrus's room. hardwood floor, very nice bed, very nice desks. Cake's half rotten, didn't touch that. The only disconcerting things are a dagger so crooked i would only work as a torcure device lot's of empty wine botttles (the contents of which were most likely partly responsible for the broken chairs in the corner), and the fact that I'm wondering how much all this would weigh. That's got to be some serious reinforcemejnt.

Both pages were on this level.

Sirrus and Achenar strted a blamefes on each other, saying how I shouldn't release the other one, how the other was responsible for the desolaion, yadda yadda. Quite personally, I think Sirrus worked them to death so he could get te fancy rooms, and Achenar just killed them outright. I'll let them think I plan to free hem, though. Just in case they try to return the favor and show me the way out of here. Or just le something slip.

I also found a book to a small age, with no pages. But it has fruit growing everywhere and plenty of vegetables and stuff like that. I would like some real meat, but I'm notcomplaining. I managed to find a ery good comination of different plants that tastes like grilled beef. pretty good with omato products, a bit of salt, and th right combination of spices.

>historian's note< I am attepting to use this paragraph to prove that the bocha burger is much older than most people think.

to be continued...

Last edited by Trahald on Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farlesis wrote:
Hi Trahald

This is really cool Smile I would be interested in reading your first thoughts of arriving on the dock, what did you see around you, how did you feel. Where did you go first? Or did you look around the island first?

Look forward to reading more.

>historian's response<From what he wrote, I'd say that once he recovered from the shock, he explored the island. I'd expect nothing less from a member of the Corps of Discovery.
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry 10:

I managed to find a plant in my food age that tastes a lot like mustard. That's not so important.

The pressing matter is what I saw in Selentitic age. Or rather, what I didn't see. I had grown so used to seeing one room which I could identify as Sirrus's, and another as Achenar's. But in this one there was nothing like that.

Then it hit me. There were also no inhabitants. From when Atrus first linked here, it was, as far as civilizaton goes, a virgin. (speaking of which, I'm wondering when I can get back to my girlfriend. It's about time I married her. Haven't seen her for 3 years.)

Anyway, No inhabtants ever developed there, and neither did any throne/bed-rooms. And yet in the Ages that did have inhabitants, there are now none, And bang, here I find rooms either richly furnished, or full of way-too-lethal stuff.

Is it possible that the brothers developed a sick pleasure from lording over them?

And killing them?

Must consider whether giving either the 4th page is wise.

to be continued...
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Historian's note<

The author hated school because they made him write too much. But, evidently, when he came up with his OWN prompts, he did pretty well.

He actually filled out this journal and left it with Atrus's family, And Catherine leftthose with her journals, on which the novels are based. These Journals really helped the Millers in their attempts to introduce the surface to D'ni.
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Historian's note< 80 views so far. a bestseller.

Entry 11:

I have considered the alternative, and decided I'd better risk it. Stoneship, here I come.

to be continued...

Last edited by Trahald on Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: