The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Great Tree Pizza Day at Cyan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very neat letter; you might want to check it with Domahreh or another of the like, if you wish, for good measure, although I'm certain the words will convey the sentiment well enough.

I actually suspect many Cyantists are able to read the language, and write it--the Millers, RAWA of course, but in-game graphics artists, too, maybe. There's been so much D'ni script in these games already, with Uru out of production, a few have probably memorized the letters. Millers and RAWA might be the only ones to know words, possibly only the latter, assuming it's a one-man language engineering team--Cyan's bigger than that now, though. So they should be able to read it interactively.

Err, and on a similarly unimportant note, you may want to think over giving Cyan puzzles; I don't presume to speak for them, but I think we all know that Cyantists are often busy on an almost inhuman level; I wouldn't know where to draw the line between duiversion and potential time-consumer, though I'd think a very small and simple puzzle would be appropriate.

Also, I've never visited Cyan myself, but I hear that you will need to call ahead and schedule this with someone or other.

I wouldn't be a part of this event, but I just thought I might lend my words, if they've any merit, I mean.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the letter is great, Farlesis. And I do think it should be presented in the D'ni font. Perhaps it can be read out loud if no one can translate it on the spot.

I agree with Zen, if you're going to present a puzzle, I would make it simple and easy. More representative than actual.

Mystlander, I don't really have an idea about the timing of the jacket with pizza day but I do believe it can be done. My guy at the jacket place had minor surgery on Friday so I was going to give him until Wednesday before I bothered him again. But, he may try to reach me tomorrow if he's up to it. I'll ask him about turnaround time for the ordering and screening. We also have to decide how many are going to Cyan (one or two) and what sizes they are.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments everyone Smile

Yes I thought of writing it in the D'ni font, so that when they translated it, it would translate into D'ni instead of straight into English. Will get that sorted out this week.

Next question would be, how do you want me to send this? I can either post the finished version up here complete on parchment paper with the Great tree logo, or if Ashtar doesn't mind snail mailing him an actual version of it on parchment paper?
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farlesis: If you want to do the text and graphics against a white background, I'll buy some printer paper that has the parchment look. I think you can even get it with the right texture. After it's printed, I can scan the whole document and post it here for the rest of the forum.

But if you would like to do the printing and the final touches, that's not a problem. Just let me know and I can PM my address to you.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashtar

That's cool. I'll get it all done and email it to you as a Word document and then you can print it out.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a simple puzzle, I have a suggestion.

I started with a haiku (and yes, it fits all the requirements for a haiku):
This Spring We Await
Sypder's Clues For Uru Eggs;
Expansion Pack Perhaps?

Then, using a dictionary, I picked words that appear just before the words in the haiku, and produced this puzzle:

Thirtyish Sprigtail Wazir Awag
Spicy's Clucks Fopship Uru* Egestives
Expansile Pacinian Perhalogen?

* Hint: This word does not appear in the dictionary.
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/scratches head

That might be a bit difficult, especially if they're using a different dictionary than you. Does that asterisk and the hint show up in the puzzle as well?

Last edited by Jon on Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, since we want a simple puzzle the hint should be there. Anyway, this was just one idea, I'm not attached to it. Does anyone have another idea?
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to let everyone know that I heard back from CyanBill concerning the party. Here was his reply:

Quote:
That would be most appreciated and you're more than welcome to come with the pizza And jackets too! You guys rock.

Some logistics: later in the week is usually better than earlier for lunch time fun (Thurs or Fri are good) and Rand will be out for a week or so beginning April 1...so mebbe March 25 or 26?

The professor is trying to get things setup for the jackets, but we will know more in a couple of days whether or not he can get them here by the 25th. If not, then I don't think Cyan would have a problem with us having the party around mid April when Rand is back.
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
/scratches head

That might be a bit difficult, especially if they're using a different dictionary than you. Does that asterisk and the hint show up in the puzzle as well?

just tell them to use an unabridged dictionary
Tokai
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely hope you guys have a nice time, and that the jackets fit okay.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to show the rest of you a scanned image of the letter created by Farlesis that will be presented to Cyan at the pizza party:

Great Tree Letter

It's printed on a gold parchment paper with the right texture. For those of you who don't read the D'ni language, like myself, here is the translation:

Quote:
To Everyone at Cyan

This food we give to you all as a blessing from the Great Tree Guild for Uru. For what you have done, and what you will do, thank you.

The Journey will be eternal

Peace to you all

I might add a few other features like a border of some type, but I'll work on it over the weekend. Let me know what you think so far.

I also wanted to update the list of contributors who has donated for the cause:

Moon
Professor Askew
Mystlander
Kehrin
Aahz
CuzinJohn
Farlesis
MsLorene
Marten

Thanks to you all for your help! The party is tentatively scheduled for April 16th. I'm still waiting for a confirmation from Bill Slease.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The letter looks fantastic. I think the good people at Cyan will be heartily impressed. Boy, I wish I could be there! Sad
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtar,

I don't think The Great Tree is recognized as an official Guild, but rather a "movement." Perhaps you should check with our resident historian, Farlesis.

Just remember to take a digital camera with you so you can upload pictures of your visit to The Great Tree website... Guess that's the next best thing for those of us who cannot be there in person.

The graphics and parchment look fabulous! How are we doing on the D'ni crossword puzzle? It might be great idea to tape copies of it on the tops of all the pizza boxes... Razz
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had to point this out...your letter is flawed. for letters like [ih] you put in [i][h], which is not right...use the IPDE program or something else to convert it into th d'ni font transliteration...

what is te transliteration in D'ni? if you give it to me, i'll fix it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: