The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Uru Expansion 1 "To D'ni": Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Uru Expansion 1 "To D'ni": Thoughts Reply with quote

Alright. We heard that there is one hold-out in the cavern (i.e. - you).

Being the sole explorer left in the cavern you try to complete the journey on your own. You wander the city and ages unhindered by the DRC or other explorers (hindered only by the amount of content available through your expansion packs).

Make sense? Opinions? Ideas?

Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that we will be able to die in this game. Exploring the truly unsafe Ages could really be dangerous. With each expansion pack, I'm worried that we will have to re-explore every area in case some book has been added to a pile of rubble we explored months ago. I hope that's not the case. If it is, this game could get really tedious really fast.
MOULa KI: #10750831
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we will be able to die...

I also doubt it will be tedious.

Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're probably right about not dieing (spelling?). However, if we have to re-explore every area for new items, which will be a lot of new areas with all the x-packs, I'm gonna get tired. Searching endlessly in the same spots, hoping that something will appear, will bore me. Come on, I can't be the only one who sees this as a possibility. Don't get me wrong, I'm really anxious and excited about the x-packs, but I see this as a possible scenario.
MOULa KI: #10750831
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me. Despite the little Live snafu, I have the utmost confidence in Cyan. I could never get bored with Ae'gura no matter how many times I had to retrace my steps. In fact, that's pretty much what I did when Live was running! LOL. Walking around...walking around...Oh! There's a Marker! Walking around...walking around. And I loved every minute of it. Now, without the lag? Fuggedaboutit! I'm sure it's going to be great. Chin up!
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if new items are introduced in the expansion in the same way that the Bahro stones in Ae'gura and the various clothing items around the ages appeared and disappeared in Live, you won't have to explore every other area looking for new items because you can read about peoples' discoveries on the forums. In that way, some of the aspects of Live would live on. The only difficulty in the matter is that forum moderators everywhere would need to work to separate puzzle spoiler material from general discoveries.

Regarding dying though... it's more MYST-like to simply not allow a character to enter a truly dangerous area until the player is prepared. So, no entering scalding hot lava-coated ages without the maintainer suit on...
Kam Uraki
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sign of there being a new age or two? Confused
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyanBill posted to the Ubisoft webboards about what was going to be in the first expansion pack. I don't see how to post a hidden spoiler here so I'll just go ahead and quote it. Hope that's ok.

This post doesn't name specifics, but it does tell quite a bit. Don't look if you want to be totally surprised.

Smile

Quote:
The first expansion is not empty in any sense of the word.

From the point of view of the people who bought Uru but didn't play beta or prologue (the overwhelming majority), here's my rough count:

8 new Ages or significant areas
10 new puzzles
5 new Relto customizations (including 2 new technical features)
17 new pieces of clothing
43 new journals or monologues

For people who played beta or prologue:
4 new (small) Ages or significant areas you've never seen even if you hacked prime
10 new puzzles you haven't solved though 2 involve the marker system in a way that will be somewhat familiar
2 new Relto customizations you've never seen (including two new technical features)
4 new pieces of clothing
34 new journals or monolgue

plus a continuation of the storyline

Bill Slease
Content Director
Cyan Worlds, Inc.
Aahz
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehrin,

There was an addendum added to that quote of yours. The ages/significant areas were all the size of the neighborhood or smaller.

Atrus: 02529227
Katran: 02231030
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Aahz. At this point I'm just thrilled that there will be new things we haven't seen, yet!

Smile
Maharet
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehrin, are you saying if you kept the live version or the modified game you will have more areas to explore?
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Maharet. That's not what CyanBill meant. He was saying that those who only played Prime will find that everything in x1 is new to them. Those of us who also played Uru Live Prologue, and even those who also beta tested, will find some new things in x1, too.

So, x1 isn't all stuff that we've already seen, even if we saw everything there was to see in Prologue, beta testing, or even hacking the game!

Also, it's my understanding that for x1 and Prime to work, we have to start over from the beginning with a clean install.

Sorry about the confusion.

Smile
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts about the first XP are that if you never experienced the "Live" prologue, then you will be in for some pleasant surprises. But for those of us who were fortunate enough to be online during the prologue, then don't have your expectations set too high. We might get a few new things or areas to explore, but it won't be major. I think we will all have to wait for XP2 before we can expect some new ages. It will be fun to read all the new journals to see how Cyan has changed the storyline based on the plan's that Ae'gura was to be explored by hundreds, but now it's just a single player. And then they still have to leave open the possibility that it might be explored by a group of explorers again Smile
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaharen wrote:
I'm guessing that we will be able to die in this game. Exploring the truly unsafe Ages could really be dangerous.

Nah. What could be more unsafe than missing a jump and landing in a lava flow?... or missing a jump to a bridge and plummeting?... on running over a waterfall toward a bunch of spikey rocks?

Been there, done that... "panic linked" to Relto.

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtar wrote:
My thoughts about the first XP are that if you never experienced the "Live" prologue, then you will be in for some pleasant surprises. But for those of us who were fortunate enough to be online during the prologue, then don't have your expectations set too high. We might get a few new things or areas to explore, but it won't be major. I think we will all have to wait for XP2 before we can expect some new ages. It will be fun to read all the new journals to see how Cyan has changed the storyline based on the plan's that Ae'gura was to be explored by hundreds, but now it's just a single player. And then they still have to leave open the possibility that it might be explored by a group of explorers again Smile

I agree with everything you've said, Ashtar. I think that things may have been adjusted a little, judging from the news release that Randomos posted at the official Ubi site, but it'll still be very cool, and x2 will be even better.

I'm really looking foward to seeing how they adapted the story to the new situation. I hadn't even thought of that until I read your post. That'll be really interesting!

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: