The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Uru Live Role-Playing Area Announced!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkest
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: The Uru Live Role-Playing Area Announced! Reply with quote

My good friends at the Great Tree Forum,

The Second Fall of D'ni has devastated us all. We have watched as the DRC concluded their affairs in the ancient city. Out of character, Cyan declared the Uru Live was coming to an end. The proclaimed ongoing story of Uru Live was a false notion; it has died when we least expected it to.

The D'ni Restoration Council are cleaning out the City, removing all those cones and blockades, getting ready to leave the ancient city of D'ni. The explorers who were led down by Yeesha and Zandi are packing their bags and shuffling out.

The notion of Uru Live dwindles.

Enter the Uru Live Role Playing Area. A forum dedicated to continue the idea of Uru Live. What if the DRC didn't close the City, what if something miraculous occurred, giving them enough funds to continue their restoration? Call it a parallel universe, if you will, in which they did not leave.

This is a forum where you can create a character, as much the same as your avatar on Uru Live, and continue to participate in the ongoing storyline of Uru. Where you can immerse yourself even more into the game, effecting how things happen. Go see Douglas Sharper, the Shroom Baron, and help him out on Teledahn. Arrange an appointment with Dr. Kodama to let him decide what your faction deserves. Form groups, continue the legacy of the D'ni League of Activities or the Great Tree. Explore new ages and make your own neighborhoods to gather at.

This is role playing. While the world of graphics of Uru Live has ended, the world of text is just beginning. A marvelous substitute that takes one thing away and gives back another.

Please check it out. At least look into it and see it for what it is, a living legacy of Uru Live.

The link to the forum will be posted soon, more information is to come.
Darkest
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note,
The Uru Live Role-Playing Area will need a few key things from the Great Tree.

We need a Brian Fioca character. He is a critical part to the storyline. I would prefer Brian Fioca play as him, but if he is unwilling, then someone else can take him. If not Brian, then I'd like it to be another member of the Great Tree.

Also, the Role Playing Area will be much more immersive. The Great Tree, as a large faction, will have much more impact on the world around them. Maybe some of your goals, such as making a major meeting with the DRC, could come to life. There could be other perks to having a large faction, such as having better neighborhoods, having a larger political standpoint. You know, this is such an immersive, open roleplaying experience, that you guys could even form an army and go to war, if you wished.

I am just saying, that when the link is announced, be there. Look at it, to see if you are interested.
Darkest
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ULRPA has opened!

The link can be found at the bottom of the page. It is an invision board, until I can find a better area to host it. It is also a subsection on my main forum, but they won't interfere with you at all. Stay within the Uru: Ages Beyond Myst area.

I hope to see a great deal of interest from the Great Tree Forum! Please check it out and join!

The Uru Live Role-Playing Area!
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting...

a Brian Fioca character? that's very... wow. hmmm... not sure how i feel about this. I'm very flattered, and I kinda want to see how your board catches on before I commit, and since it is my real name, I might feel a little funny if someone else were saying things as me. Let me think about this.

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would suggest that all names be changed as to avoid creating divergent realities. The DRC will be back in action at some point. Either wait until the end of the year or change the names. Seems too soon to be starting something like this where we left off. I'm sure you can come up with a whole new take on this story with very little effort. Sort of an "Elseworlds" tale, to borrow a word from DC Comics.
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkest, I must be honest. I am not sure about this. This is.... well, I don't know. I hope you'll not take offense at these words, and my boldness to critically analyze something I have no right or claim to.

Besides copyright issues--and there are quite a few you'll run into, intellectual property and otherwise.... there's this. If this gets off the ground, you may find that quite a few of the ULRPA's main contributors will have the tendency to exploit the forum as a medium for the realization of their delusions of grandeur. By which I mean, you could find the plot spinning out of control as relative unknowns attempt to make themselves important through complex plot twists they invent, as the line between science fiction and fantasy blurs....
Darkest
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a Brian Fioca character? that's very... wow. hmmm... not sure how i feel about this. I'm very flattered, and I kinda want to see how your board catches on before I commit, and since it is my real name, I might feel a little funny if someone else were saying things as me. Let me think about this.

No problem! In the alternate reality, I posted a news article saying that you were currently missing from the Cavern. This opens a good length of time for you to make a decision to join, once there is more content.

Quote:
Personally, I would suggest that all names be changed as to avoid creating divergent realities. The DRC will be back in action at some point. Either wait until the end of the year or change the names. Seems too soon to be starting something like this where we left off. I'm sure you can come up with a whole new take on this story with very little effort. Sort of an "Elseworlds" tale, to borrow a word from DC Comics.

Well, a divergent reality is exactly what we are trying to do. Wink If the DRC do come back (although I doubt it greatly), then they will continue along as we continue. It is very likely that if Uru Live does come back, this will cease as many of the members will flock back to their world of graphics.

A whole new take on the story? I bet I could, but I am trying to keep it consistent and in the same genre as Uru Live. As time goes on though, the story will change considerably, as it was expected to in Uru Live.

Quote:
Darkest, I must be honest. I am not sure about this. This is.... well, I don't know. I hope you'll not take offense at these words, and my boldness to critically analyze something I have no right or claim to.

No problem, I am open to criticism and suggestions. Smile

Quote:
Besides copyright issues--and there are quite a few you'll run into, intellectual property and otherwise.... there's this. If this gets off the ground, you may find that quite a few of the ULRPA's main contributors will have the tendency to exploit the forum as a medium for the realization of their delusions of grandeur. By which I mean, you could find the plot spinning out of control as relative unknowns attempt to make themselves important through complex plot twists they invent, as the line between science fiction and fantasy blurs....

Copyright issues... That may arise. But seeing that this is not being paid for, I doubt they will. I have known at least three roleplaying sites that have copied a great deal of D'ni Universe content that have not been convicted.

As for your 'medium for the realization of their delusions of grandeur' (by the way, very great sentence, nicely worded) I have taken into account that this may happen. People will want to write their own Ages, assume control of the DRC, become sorcerors and all that. However, this is what we call a controlled roleplaying environment. Open roleplaying environments is what most people have experienced, where players can let their characters do anything. We will have a small team of Game Masters that monitor each post and make sure that it is all within reasonability. If one character says that he picks up a strange linking book and links to an obscure Age, a Game Master will be notified to edit out posts and such. There will be punishment if a character does things that are out of line.

But, then again, Game Masters can let the players have their fun. As long as they are close by. If a Game Master plans out a plot for a group of characters to take a journey through an obscure age, then so be it, as long as the Game Master is ultimately in control. But it can never get too out of hand, only content that you would expect in Uru Live will be seen.

So... there will be a good amount of freedom, but it will all be moderated. Players cannot morph into bahros, their post will be deleted. Characters won't become spiderman and scale huge walls, Game Masters will be there to make things logical again.

So really, it is very controlled. Controlled only so that the players don't go crazy. They can still make a good deal of effects in the world around them, but they have to do it the hard way... a whole lot of work. Wink
Darkest
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first adventure, "Celebration of the Restoration" has been posted!

ULRPA has officially begun! Join the continuation of Uru Live!

Last edited by Darkest on Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/endorse

I joined this, and it's really shaping up to be a lot of fun! Of course, it's not Live, but it's even better, in some ways. Wink
Liath
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkest wrote:
ULRPA has opened!

The link can be found at the bottom of the page. It is an invision board, until I can find a better area to host it. It is also a subsection on my main forum, but they won't interfere with you at all. Stay within the Uru: Ages Beyond Myst area.

I hope to see a great deal of interest from the Great Tree Forum! Please check it out and join!

The Uru Live Role-Playing Area!

The link doesn't work for me?

Liath,
Also playing Ryzom, avatar name = Lavender
Darkest
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try again, it should work. Maybe the server just 'blipped' for a moment.
Liath
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkest wrote:
Try again, it should work. Maybe the server just 'blipped' for a moment.

Ah, working now.

Liath,
Also playing Ryzom, avatar name = Lavender
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And say hi to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: