The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Who saw the advertising?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vormaen
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Who saw the advertising? Reply with quote

Me and a roomie got into a discussion. He didn't fully agree with a point that was made in the letter to Rand and cyan here in the forum. We discussed that a couple of commercials ran for Uru during a couple WWE wrestling shows. How many of you are wrestling fans? How many saw the commercials. He argues that Wrestling fans are a broad range of players, and the commercials should have brought in more players. I think that Wrestling fans tend to be more action oriented, and wouldn't, on a broad range, be interested in a thought invoking game like Uru. What do you think?

You gotta excuse me for editing this...
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw one commercial for Uru. An acquaintance of mine said he saw it on Tech TV several times. And as a former wrestling fan I can pretty much say with confidence that NO, I don't think Uru would appeal to wrestling fans at large.
Aahz
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw only a single commercial for URU. Which prompted my wife for getting it for me for Christmas. Other than that, I did not hear about it.

Atrus: 02529227
Katran: 02231030
Wes I.
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say. I disagree Professor. I am an avid wrestling fan and have been for years. I've also been intrigued by the Myst series since it began. While I do agree that there are a lot of wrestling fans that would not be apt to play, nor would they have the IQ to play. lol. The wrestling audience as a whole is very diverse. And saying that wrestling fans at large would not like URU is too broad of a generalization in my opinion. There are lots of smart wrestling fans. I think the decision to broadcast URU commercials during WWE programming was because they were trying to reach the 16-24 year old male demographic that the WWE caters to. And, while I don't think that the general Myst audience falls within that bracket. The general video game audience does. Especially the people who are doing a lot of online gaming.
Liath
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes I. wrote:
I have to say. I disagree Professor. I am an avid wrestling fan and have been for years. I've also been intrigued by the Myst series since it began. While I do agree that there are a lot of wrestling fans that would not be apt to play, nor would they have the IQ to play. lol. The wrestling audience as a whole is very diverse. And saying that wrestling fans at large would not like URU is too broad of a generalization in my opinion. There are lots of smart wrestling fans. I think the decision to broadcast URU commercials during WWE programming was because they were trying to reach the 16-24 year old male demographic that the WWE caters to. And, while I don't think that the general Myst audience falls within that bracket. The general video game audience does. Especially the people who are doing a lot of online gaming.

Most people in our hood are over 40.
Also, in the Netherlands, I never saw any advertising for Uru.

Liath,
Also playing Ryzom, avatar name = Lavender
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, Wes, I didn't say there were NO wrestling fans who would enjoy Uru. I simply said the majority wouldn't. And I stand by that. I also said I was a fan of wrestling once myself. I followed it for a number of years and I consider myself somewhat intelligent. I got hooked on the role-playing in professional wrestling and watched until the "stories" no longer grabbed me (when "bra and panty" matches became the norm Rolling Eyes ).
Maharet
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw several ads on SciFi channel. Should have attracted a few people.
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, screw the Sci fi channel. That is a business I hope goes out of business. They are the most guilty of killing a great thing, point in case Farscape. Less and lees people I know watch that channel, they love killing great shows.

Uru, whlle meant for the deep thinkers, can be spread to a great many people, but I doubt the 18 to 24 demographic is the right one. I know around that time I had an attention span the size of a penny. Besides, I know a lot of wrestiling fans, being one of them, and most of them are action oriented gamers, they couldn't sit still long enough to slove puzzles. And I understand that some us Fans are thinkers, we wouldn't be here if we weren't.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there were no commercials over here in the UK that I saw, let alone any of the games in shops. But then I so rarely go into shops and get most things from Amazon, but even when I was about I didn't see any of the games.

I think one of the great problems with today's games market is the demand for games like Halo, Unreal Tournament and Quake, you can load any of them up and find hundreds if not thousands of servers that are more or less full of people playing. If it's not got guns, blood and guts it won't succeed. Then at the other end of the market you have games like 'The Sim's', Electronic Arts cash cow that squeezes the market even tighter.

Another problem I think that faces game designers is the variance in everyone's computer set up's, everyone has such a variant system all set up different to each other. different sound cards, different grahpics etc. That a game made for a pc can never be bug free. Where's making a game for a console is easy in that everyone has the same console, the same set-up and it is most probably more profitable, which is why a lot of games companies now make games solely for consoles. Halo being the biggest example of that, originally intended for the PC, Microsoft offered Bungie a load of cash to make it their launch game for the X-Box and finally 2 years later it comes back to the PC.

Computer game shops here in the UK have steadily reduced the amount of PC games they sell over the years replacing it with console games. It's a volatile market, what could be today's hottest game could be tomorrow's dead bird. I can think of many amazing, innovative and original games that have sunk like a stone of the radar. Where's tried and tested formula's for games have always sold well. It's so sad, Uru has the potential to be such an amazing and breathtaking game, ahead of it's time. But the fact that they dared to make it and give it a go, is honourable and worthy.

Just my thoughts Smile
Trahald
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

Location: Milky Way:Sol System:Earth:North America:USA:Ohio:Cincinnati

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I agree with Vormean. I never saw one commercial, and it was only due to a fan site that I even found out there was an Uru. they say thee aren't enough subscribers, but that's because they only go with a small range. not on anuy major channels, and (no offense Wes I) I couldn't care less about wrestling. (by the way, are there any people here who can make their OWN servers? I've been running that over in the back of my mind all day and I really think that could work)
Liath
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farlesis wrote:
Well there were no commercials over here in the UK that I saw, let alone any of the games in shops. But then I so rarely go into shops and get most things from Amazon, but even when I was about I didn't see any of the games.

I think one of the great problems with today's games market is the demand for games like Halo, Unreal Tournament and Quake, you can load any of them up and find hundreds if not thousands of servers that are more or less full of people playing. If it's not got guns, blood and guts it won't succeed. Then at the other end of the market you have games like 'The Sim's', Electronic Arts cash cow that squeezes the market even tighter.

Another problem I think that faces game designers is the variance in everyone's computer set up's, everyone has such a variant system all set up different to each other. different sound cards, different grahpics etc. That a game made for a pc can never be bug free. Where's making a game for a console is easy in that everyone has the same console, the same set-up and it is most probably more profitable, which is why a lot of games companies now make games solely for consoles. Halo being the biggest example of that, originally intended for the PC, Microsoft offered Bungie a load of cash to make it their launch game for the X-Box and finally 2 years later it comes back to the PC.

Computer game shops here in the UK have steadily reduced the amount of PC games they sell over the years replacing it with console games. It's a volatile market, what could be today's hottest game could be tomorrow's dead bird. I can think of many amazing, innovative and original games that have sunk like a stone of the radar. Where's tried and tested formula's for games have always sold well. It's so sad, Uru has the potential to be such an amazing and breathtaking game, ahead of it's time. But the fact that they dared to make it and give it a go, is honourable and worthy.

Just my thoughts Smile

But it's not the bugs that bothered people most, we all got over that and they were rarely so serious that they disturbed gameplay. The lag is what bothered most people. But that doesn't matter now.

Here in the Netherlands, the amount of PC games in stores has been reduced as well, but it is stable now, and it is still not a small amount, although they are incredibly expensive. Most of them are action games, but there is a surprising amount of adventure games and other kinds of games as well, I'm not unsatisfied.

What is so sad is that they are quitting before they really got started, in some countries the game has only just been released, and they never got out of beta even. They should have tried to hang in there a little while longer, or made public that they were in financial trouble, so maybe people could have helped out.

Liath,
Also playing Ryzom, avatar name = Lavender
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw several URU ads on the SciFi channel, and thought that they were very well done. I also play FPS games such as Delta Force & Rainbow 6 series for PC.

I'm wondering if the game engine selected and used by Cyan was the wrong choice for online multiplayer. Of course, there are always "trade offs" when it comes to graphic quality and number of hosted players...
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
VixBlu
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liath wrote:
Most people in our hood are over 40.
Also, in the Netherlands, I never saw any advertising for Uru.

i agree on the mis-advertisementmanagement at Ubi's.
they should have aimed also for the 'Grey Wave', they have a lot to spend ($ and time...), and are online also! They should get a 'serious' (game)corner in the bookshop. i know bookstores can hype a lot, and this is with the right attitude very hypable to people like my father-in-law.... Wink

[•] MO:UL
[•] blutec
[•] KI# 12951778
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: