The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

New Places to Visit in the Cavern!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: New Places to Visit in the Cavern! Reply with quote

Hi, everyone! As usual, not sure who's reading this after all this time, but I didn't want to move forward in Uru without touching base with my old compatriots.

I have not been an active participant in Uru for quite some time but I do pop in now and then. Like most of us, just hanging around year after year socializing and listening to music doesn't really appeal to me. I have other things to do on the surface. But the fan work is really starting to kick in so not only are they keeping the torch lit, but their efforts building new ages and areas is coming to fruition.

A couple of days ago they opened up a new apartment in Ae'gura. The queue to get in was astonishingly long as an instance owner was sharing the book so we could all be there together. I was amazed. Maybe over 100 people? I don't know what the count was. But Tweek was there! (He's got some content coming.) and Chogon was there. It was pretty cool.

The new age/city area is called Elonin and it even has a puzzle component. I haven't solved it yet and I don't know what the end game but it's obvious a lot of work went into it.

The new library has been in Uru for a while and there are quite a few places to visit that are new. And I guess there's a lot more on the way. Someone is working on bringing Myst 5 content in and I can't wait to see all the City pieces put together.

So, I'm doing some reading on how this content is put together. In my wildest dreams I can imagine putting together a new section of the City dedicated to our group. Obviously the whole political thing is old news, but that doesn't mean a really good story couldn't come out of it.

Speaking of story, I'm now learning that some of these construction folks are starting to partner up with some story folks to make things happen down there again. And after seeing what I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pull something interesting off and eventually marry this Age creation with story telling and puzzles.

Enough time has gone by that I'm thinking about getting involved. If you're reading this, and you think you might have an interest in some casual get-togethers to discuss the future, let me know here and we'll see. No pressure. No deadlines. No commitments. Just chat, wonder, and possibly move forward. In the meantime, I'll be reaching out to those creative folks and see how you get more involved. I know it involves a Guild or two but I'll have specifics soon.

Such fun!
It's all for the exploration.
-Professor Daniel Askew-
Jmp12
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Professor, good to hear from you!

I've visited some of the new ages and areas, but have yet to check the most recent additions. I'm looking forward to seeing them, and have quite liked the ones I have seen. The Messenger's pub and the memorial age, Chiso Preniv, had me especially impressed. It's all wonderfully encouraging!

I would enjoy getting to meet up with Great Tree folks again, to discuss the new additions and ideas for cool stuff to do.

Speaking OOC, I did look into setting up a shard specifically to help Marten and co. finish the Great Tree documentaries, as I think Marten said somewhere that he needed a shard that select participants could access using an internal client, so that they could dress up as folks from the DRC, use flymode, etc. I got a bit sidetracked, since initially looking into this, but I would still be interested in setting up a shard especially to help with the documentary project, if Marten and others are interested. I can't promise success, of course, but it's something I would like to help with if I can. The Great Tree documentary series really helped me get into the story of Uru Live, which in turn drew me deeper into wanting to write interactive fiction and develop computer games of my own, which is a passion I'm still pursuing. If I can help finish the documentary series, I'd enjoy that.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is amazing. I love seeing new activity here after all of these years. Thanks for your patience with the forum. I had to move it somewhere new a few months ago and it was a bit of a bumpy ride.

I really want to find some time to try out the new ages and areas! I'm worried my particular mac might have problems but I'm sure there's a way I can get it to work if I try.

Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice to see messages from you folks! That nostalgic voice on the wind just keeps whispering from time to time. XD

Aw, I'm sorry I missed the opening of Elonin! I need to go check it out. The opening of the GoMe pub and Fan Ages library was so heartwarming. At one point we had around 300 people crammed into the Watcher's Sanctuary (pub? there are so many pubs now).

Mystlander tracked us down and I just visited the cavern with her today, to finally get some folks (her and Carl Palmner, who was very bright-eyed about the storytelling prospects) added to The Great Tree's hood. I've been sitting on that avatar for years now, lol. If anyone wants to join, let me know. I hear we might be able to ask Chogon to activate our preferred hood features for us again (and maybe I could beseech him to take the number off the name somehow, lol).

I'm intrigued, if cautious, and I'll always applaud things like this that keep the spirit of Uru going, though it's hard to say yet how involved I would be in a new story! Generally the more folks I know are involved the more sucked in I can get. But I'd be curious if I can be helpful somehow.

I check TGT forums once every thousand years and currently it looks like email notifications are waiting on some fixes, so a faster way to contact me is probably discord (Moiety Jean#2188).

Cheers to you all!

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One consideration for the group, as familiar faces filter their way back into the Cavern.

Mystlander was asking about getting the Great Tree jackets exclusively for Great Tree members. I suggested to Mystlander that she tap MJ and Brian specifically for their feelings on this.

My feelings on this are... complicated.

OOC
Keeping in mind that access to game is now free, and the client is open source:
* I'm concerned about this becoming an ongoing maintenance thing for Cyan if we were to keep adding new members and wanting them to receive the jackets. If we want that... I think we should set up a donut fund for Chogon or something. Laughing
* If we're going to do this, it's probably going to re-establish a precedent, and other groups will want to have clothing exclusive to them
* I'm not sure that determined people can be prevented from hacking the jackets into their vaults with modified clients.
* Despite all that, the jacket is special to me, and I imagine to everyone here, and I feel everyone having access to it might cheapen it a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: