The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Great Tree Neighborhood
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now we don't need to create a new neighborhood anymore... Very Happy

Please, see our GT Hood in the Nexus picture below...
Funny thing is, it is now the other way round lol... All former Bevins
are now called Hood as intended and all newly created hoods, the DRC
hoods at least are again called Bevin lol, see also picture below.... Smile

(what a difference to the above png files, but those are still quite
big and so I favored jpg before png... that brings up a question I've
had every now and then... The pictures posted here are hosted on the
Photobucket servers and are thus not overloading our forums, is that
correct?)

janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded this notification to our Hood imager and I hope
this is ok with all of you, the fact and the wording ... /wave ... Very Happy

(I already removed the redundant comma using the Who's online app ... Smile )

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. Smile
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you jana!
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Haven't been following what's going on within the community for a while, and I've only just discovered that Uru and Cyan are going downhill. After such a long time, one would think that the meter would be forever stuck at CAVCON 4, but apparently it does work... unfortunately in the wrong direction.

But, to be frank, I can't think of any good reasons why I should donate. Don't misunderstand me, I probably will donate, but when I think rationally about it, I don't see any reason.
With more money, Cyan could fix the Minkata sparkley. Yay. That's not something to get excited about after all these years, is it? Apparently Cyan and OpenUru and the Writers have resolved the licensing issues, so perhaps something good will come out of that, but that's still unsure. I haven't logged in Uru for a long while, because, unfortunately, there's not much to do. I hate to say it, but if Uru will be closed, that won't really make a difference for me personally. Uru had much potential, but there can't be a future for Uru, unless the open-source developers perform miracles. The game looks dated and it's now too late to catch up with today's standards. Perhaps if (true) open-source had come earlier, things would have been different.

Now, I do love Uru's story and the history. The things we shared, the story we took part in, the way the story immersed us. So, the only reason to donate that I can think of is to give others a chance to get a glimpse of what Uru was and to enjoy what's still there.

Again, I don't want to spoil the 'party', but I do like to hear what your motives are. Smile
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Erik! It is so nice to hear from you again and to get the
impression that you're doing fine even without Uru/MOULa ... /wave ... Razz

Yeah, it is great and I couldn't agree with you more with many of your statements...
I don't know if you've read the last pages of the CAVCON Meter thread on the MOUL forums,
where I've made a statement myself recently, so, I can make this short here and just point to
my post over there ...

Erik wrote:
Now, I do love Uru's story and the history. The things we shared, the story we took part in,
the way the story immersed us. So, the only reason to donate that I can think of is to give
others a chance to get a glimpse of what Uru was and to enjoy what's still there.

Again, I don't want to spoil the 'party', but I do like to hear what your motives are. Smile

As you see, you've mentioned the motives already and I'd like to add our great community
which kept the whole actually more or less alive over all those years. Yes, the forums were
almost dead in the last months, but much work is done behind the scenes lol, a really thankless,
arduous task of code, scripts, addons, binary and other computing stuff editings and adjustments lol ...
When I look onto the github site I become cross-eyed and dizzy lol ...

I admire their passion and perseverance and their patience and their ability to empathize again and
again against all odds and without almost any prospects given by Cyan ... This applies, of course, not
only to the OU and GoW, but to all available Guilds and groups and all the so very creative members in
our community which never ceases to impress me ...

And you see, there is an inner, permanent connection which works perfectly in all kinds of emergency
calls or even 'only' special occurences like special 'Day of Dancing' parties haha etc... Yeah, but it works,
magically, so, there is a bond all over the world ... Also, you are here now, that is great ...

As I've said on the other forums, let's just see where this all will lead us to and how everything will develop
in the near future IC and OOC lol ... This will also determine and influence my stance to the whole and the
way and scope of my further contributions ... So, in the hope, that this wasn't just a fleeting star,
a short-term beacon of hope I've again thrown in some bucks and I hope others (who can only!)
will do the same for now and stay positive but realistic, if they can ... Very Happy

Edit: I just felt to add: If you'd ask me, Erik, I'd say, don't do it if you don't feel it, you've contributed a lot
already over the years ... I also believe, we won't have to wait for too long to know where this is all going to ...
Don't worry and visit the Cavern and our Hood every now and then if you like ... Take care ... Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally...

I don't feel all Ages in Uru look dated. The avatars are definitely dated, but when I look at Ahnonay or even Teledahn, they don't look too bad to me. Some of the "new" work in MOUL - such as the Dereno pod - feels far more dated and ugly, because the flat textures are obvious and are (in my opinion) shoddy work.

Even so, I am not getting my hopes up any more than you Erik; I think there are some significant challenges ahead and I'm not sure how they will be overcome. Here are the problems I see as being more significant than "engine looks dated":

There are (again in my opinion) some major flaws in the way Uru works due to Cyan throwing things together and not really planning for how things should work in a consistent fashion. The community is in disagreement on how to fix issues like instancing. I expect someone will code up a solution at some point, and then the arguing will begin in earnest. And there is no prioritization to future improvements to MOUL... no leader, no Linus Torvalds or similar. The source is open, but without a shared vision or a benevolent dictator to lead, it will not accomplish much.

On the bright side, um, I think I got MOSS to compile on MacOS. When I have time, I'll try to get it genuinely set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Neighborhood All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: