The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

GoMe could use some help on Guild Interest weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: GoMe could use some help on Guild Interest weekend Reply with quote

Hi all,

Due to prior commitments, I am not going to be able to help represent the Guild of Messengers at this weekend's "Guild Interest Weekend" event - mentioned here: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=329984#329984

Furthermore, quite a number of other Messengers also have prior plans. This thing has simply fallen on the wrong weekend for us - but still we would like to make the most of the opportunity that we can.

If you are not committed to another guild or group, and have some time this weekend, we could use some help. All you would need to do is to brief others interested in the Messengers on what the GoMe currently does, and what opportunities are currently available in our guild. You do not have to join our guild to help represent us at this event - although that would be great, too, if you are interested.

Although the event covers this weekend, the GoMe also has a signup sheet at http://www.doodle.com/7uecxcv2mfq6aws6 so you can see who is covering what times in the cavern. We're looking to fill whatever gaps we can in the timetable.

If anyone can help out, I will make certain that you get the information you need, and that you are not left standing around during the event wondering what you are supposed to say to people. And, I will provide you with instructions on how to handle anyone who asks a question that you are not prepared to answer.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT please contact Andros at the Guild of Messengers forum if you would like to help - I'm out for the weekend!
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Marten, I'm sorry but I can't... My parents are moving this weekend
and I've even taken a day off tomorrow to start all the cleansing and such
in their old home...

I'll definitely try to be there every now and then as a guest but I cannot
contribute as a representative... I hope the GoM will have enough explorers
able and willing to show up to cover a sufficient amount of time over those
two days... Very Happy
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at the GoM forums thread... all times are covered so far
from 05:00am - 21:00pm on Saturday and from 07:00am - 21:00pm on
Sunday (KI times)... I'm glad... Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now (with the emphasis on right now) Cyan needs to change the way their forums are handled. Cyan isn't married to Veralun, is it? Confused
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20474 is the source of your concern, Erik. (And because Guild Interest Weekend is over now, I don't mind if we continue this discussion here. Though please remember that this is a public forum - Cyan, its moderators, and all Myst Online forum participants can read this.)

I don't believe that Cyan believes its mods to be infallible, but from RAWA's post it seems clear that there is more to the issue than Whilyam mentioned. And even after RAWA's post we are short on detail - we don't know how long Whil gave RAWA to respond, or why Whil's patience ran out.

I am rather stuck in the middle. I have, in multiple situations, disapproved of moderation at the Myst Online forum.. and I continue to disapprove, particularly when one mod intervenes heavily in a discussion where another mod has already successfully taken care of the problem with a lighter touch. But however you feel about any of the moderators, you, and I, and everyone else in the community will continue to have to live with Cyan's decisions. Roses grow with thorns; it is a package deal, and nothing in the world will ever be perfect.

Recently, I feel that Whilyam has become somewhat of a loose cannon; he has attacked people without any real provocation on the MOUL forums, including DocOlanA whom I consider to be a friend even though I do not always agree with him.

I definitely believe that Cyan is being put into a very difficult situation, whenever demands are made of them by a person who behaves in an unreasonable or aggressive fashion. It doesn't matter if the demand is a reasonable one - if the requester has developed a reputation for being an ass, the likelihood of that request being met is diminished.

I've been guilty of developing a reputation like that myself.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, those are wise words. However, the fact that Tweek and ddfreyne suddenly lost their blue status gave the impression that that would be Cyan's sole action and that they would not deal with the concerns from the community. If that were true, that would have been very bad for the community, and that's why I insisted they should do something right now. I think that's why Whilyam didn't wait for RAWA to respond. Now RAWA has explained why their status was changed, and it sounds reasonable to me, so perhaps I should have had a little more patience. However, it was not a very tactical move from Cyan and another example of bad communication.

I do hope Cyan will take the concerns from the many community members to heart. It's true that Whilyam has been part of some heavy discussions lately and that he is making quite some fuss about the current situation, but Whilyam only stood up to bring to everyone's attention what a significant part of the community (including prominent community members) has suffered from. I hate it that it is now to be 'fought out' in public, but concerns have been raised before and nothing changed, so this seems to be the only way. We'll see how this plays out.

Right now, on a positive note, Rand came to the cavern and made clear for once and for all that Bevin is not the D'ni word for neighbourhood and that the Nexus will probably be changed. Cool
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread hijack back to original topic!

I found out after making my last post that Guild Interest Weekend was pushed forward to this coming weekend, due to server problems.

I'll be able to attend it now, but the GoMe could still use some assistance if anyone can help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: