The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Nostalgia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Nostalgia Reply with quote

I remember... the first time I linked to Phil's Relto I nearly jumped out my seat in fright. I was not expecting it to be a public instance.

I remember... meeting Marie Sutherland as she made her rounds replacing garden age books. She seemed a bit harried so I offered her some tea, she declined but said thankyou. Marie was alwas my favourite DRC member.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember...

Inviting Rand into our 'hood... and him showing up!

I'd like to think it was part of all our conversations that night that got the dance moves changed from the clap-n-shuffle to.... whatever that new move was...

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember... the last day of Uru Live, hanging out in a hood with people I'd only seen on the boards, like Saxy and Kev. (Doubt they remember me, as I was almost never around and had a completely different avvie).

I remember... working on Minkata with Eleri. I used Adobe Illustrator to make a map of the directions (creating lines by angle and point measurements) and then figured out the angle and number of steps for a direct route. By the time I was done with that, Eleri had found the first kiva and had figured out the night time side of the puzzle.

I remember... coming home from work and Eleri meeting me at the door, saying "They killed her! They killed Wheely!"

Running through Teledahn with multiple people (my loves Eleri and Saphi) in MOUL. I'd never actually done an Age with anyone before, so the dynamic intrigued me.

I remember... linking into the city and seeing the Bahro swarming the Arch.

I remember my first time playing Ahnonay and swimming out to the edge, and thinking "Holy S**T, Kadish you ballsy sneaky bastard!"

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that something in my package of "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst" indicated that I would only have a month or so of free gameplay. So, I didn't log into Uru Live right away. Instead, I worked on the Ages that came with the game in solo mode, only signing up for Uru Live after I'd finished those Ages. I did not know at the time that Uru Live was completely free because it was still in beta, nor did I know that by not signing up for Uru Live sooner, I was contributing to its early demise.

I remember the lag in the City, and having the KI list continually reset to the top of the list, and not being able to press and hold the Backspace key.

I remember being told about the Great Tree, and being invited to join the group. I had no idea what I was really getting into, nor do I remember which person first invited me... it was a gentle and reasonable "sell" though - I wasn't pressured, and I didn't feel like I would have to live up to anyone's expectations (or schedules) by joining.

I remember working on diagrams of puzzles for use on the Gahreesen Wall while sitting in night school classes.

I remember not understanding why Uru Live was closing down.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my first time in the city with people! After two years it was so amazing I didn't even notice the lag.

I remember standing in a circle with all TGT folks plotting something by Hood messaging, except there was one or two non-hoodies there who were oblivious to our psychic brain-storming Razz

I remember becoming a 'hood member on the same day as Gadren. Who I regarded as semi-famous as he was a prolific poster around the community and I was a lurker.

CuzinJohn wrote:
I'd like to think it was part of all our conversations that night that got the dance moves changed from the clap-n-shuffle to.... whatever that new move was...

I believe the technical term is "busting a groove."

Marten wrote:

I remember not understanding why Uru Live was closing down.

I remember Marten always wore his Pith helmet once he got it and his jumper. I also remember having a fun conversation with him in Eder Delin that totally went over Mystlanders head at the time hehe.

I remember many of the same moments that Blade does, or at least my own versions of them. Including getting the news about Wheely from Eleri.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when we were just talking in the 'hood, when suddenly Nick linked in, followed by a seemingly endless flood of link-in sounds.

I remember dcos frequently startling me by unexpectedly linking into the pod age when I was there.

I remember Engberg unexpectedly linking into the City and the personal chat that followed without crowds yelling their questions at him.

I remember the time when I was a member of the Dutch 'hood that on the day Nick handed out Tsogal books, we were arguing whether we would keep Delin or ask Nick for a Tsogal book... We were arguing some much that we didn't notice that the Delin book had been exchanged for a Tsogal book automatically... It probably took over an hour before someone stumbled upon the book.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
I remember dcos frequently startling me by unexpectedly linking into the pod age when I was there.

Haha good times Very Happy
Stopping by Erik's pods to scare the bejesus out of him was a real highlight for a while Razz
Also it was cool to have the ability to just stop by, and keep you company while you waiting to see something... anything!
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember looking forward to Uru... and then learning that it waw PC-only. I was so put out by this seeming betrayal--I'd even bought a new Mac so I could play Myst 3--that I ignored the game for a time. Eventually what I read on Uru Obsession made me curious enough to borrow a PC so I could play Uru CC.

The experience on that old PC wasn't too good. The game barely worked. So, in the spring of 2005 I finally caved and bought a PC. This changed my life in two ways: first, because the machine was silent (no fans) it started to become a music server. Then I noticed it had an Ethernet port. I connected it to the wireless router and was on-line... and a few days later I realized I could join Until Uru.

So... I remember linking to the City and hearing, for the first time, footsteps that weren't my own. That was creepy, but Old Man introduced himself and made me feel quite at home.

As you start, so shall you continue. It has been a good time, and Radio KTDN celebrates its fourth anniversary on June 20.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing for me was meeting folks and making friends.

For years... YEARS... I wandered the MYST universe alone. I entered the Cavern during the days of the 'Prologue', and suddenly was wandering with folks who were as much in love with the world as I was... and still am.

Met a wide variety of folks in the cavern... Kyven, NSymon (nee Farelsis), Dusante, Mystlander,... eventually found someone who invited me into their 'hood ::cough::KAM::cough:: and a whole new circle of friends was discovered.

I've replayed all the MYST adventures... but still miss the Gang I explored the Cavern with...

::schniffle::

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I come back to this thread I don't know where to start by
remembering sooo much, sooo many great experiences and happenings...

Ok, I remember... when I had played all of the Myst series and then finally
having been invited to UU by Locutus and then by entering the city,
immediately being introduced by a wonderful german lady and invited
to her hood etc. etc.... I was enthralled and a most awesome and amazing
new time with lots of fun and experiences and very few hours of sleep began... Very Happy

I remember... of course great times with those new german friends...
especially when we met Itep, the age creator, everything changed completely...
He wasn't only spiritual inclined and interested as I am, from then on we
were all exploring and beta testing fan ages as many of them started to
learn from him creating ages...

So, I remember... having great times on Ashtar's Alcugs Testserver with
himself and a'moaca and without... Many nights we were testing, surfing
the internet for great Uru/Myst stuff and the forums, exchanging great
things etc... all together always connected over Teamspeak... that was
so much fun, really...

I remember ... then after a while going sometimes my own ways as others
also did (still staying connected over Teamspeak lol), exploring the city
and other hoods and finally discovering LC's Roof Party... haha... Razz
THAT became a MUST every week, of course...

I remember... becoming a Rooftop volunteer after a while through LC and
lovely Gwyn and thus having even much more fun and getting to know
even more great people...

I remember... being invited to the "Tehl Gang" and their "Music Nights"
by LC... also a wonderful bunch of interesting peeps...

Yes, I remember having met really many great persons and all those times
were always quite intense and very exciting... Smile

Then, meanwhile, I remember, of course, finding my way to The Great Tree...
LC was posting here and I've told that already, that I was amazed by our
Marten, his kindness and loveliness I've seen on the forums, and initially
believing he was a lady lol... and at first I felt this was a different and
special place somehow apart of the rest of the community but very interesting...

I remember... falling more and more in love with those special people here... hehe...
and having so many great conversations on our forums and inside the
caverns, especially during those episodes, where everything was so exciting
and you were all so immersed and sweet... That were really the best times ever... Smile

I remember... the evenings/nights (for me lol) when we were waiting for
Sharper in the hood and also the discussions with J.D.Barnes etc. etc...

Yeah!!! And I remember... finally being invited to become a proud member
of "The Great Tree" by our Moiety Jean and AnnaCat..
. Very Happy

I also remember... one evening with sadness and happiness at the same time
when Yeesha suddenly appeared in K'veer... I felt sooo sad for everybody
who wasn't there at that moment and there was only Dan, AnnaCat (I believe) and myself...

And I don't remember ever being attached to and excited and amazed
by people and friends like YOU ALL for such a long time... Haha... Very Happy
oldmanjob
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my age I forget more than I remember Laughing My fondest memories are of all the Roof parties and the story lines that came out of them. Of the great music provided by LC, and the wonderful people from all over the world who showed up and made them a success. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: