The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Moving On: You are Uru

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Moving On: You are Uru Reply with quote

I saw the lake in D’ni light up this morning.It was of course a dream, it materialised late; not long before I woke up.

In this dream I was in Ae’gura, at the half way point on the Great Stair (just outside the pub). With that odd dreamy vagueness I was both playing the game and actually there. I was obviously in the D’ni universe but it was exactly as it was in the game (and later I tried to post to the forums) except at no point was I conscious of sitting at my computer.

In this dream the lake started to glow brighter and brighter, then it started to pulse even brighter the pulsing continued till the whole cavern was lit by a light so bright it rivalled the sun. Then it faded down to its regular colour again. We witnessed an algae-bloom people around me were saying.

What was wonderful was that feeling of excitement, of the world changing around you, as we at first wondered “is it just me or is the lake getting brighter” moving on to “oh my god it is!” then “Quick! Tell everyone you know!” that same excitement we used to feel touches of in live.

I was sad when I woke up knowing it was only a dream. But later over my morning mug of tea I realised that it didn’t have to be.

Cyan have at best sacrificed Uru to keep their business afloat (fair play to them) and at worst committed repeated acts of staggering incompetence. When they finally decide to talk to us again maybe I’ll change my view but that’s how I see it now.

Sure they own the legal rights to the art and the gameplay and the names. But they can’t own my memories of them. I remember BEING in D’ni, talking to you all, seeing those things. They will be with me a long time and Cyan don’t own that. And given their complete mishandling of the world and even though it officially belongs to them, I’m taking MY Uru back.

Cyan completely mishandled the Pellets as they did the GZ. So you know what?

I DID see the lake light up this morning.

And it was beautiful.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful thoughts, dan. I'm right there with you on owning our Uru reality, our shared experience which was real, even if the world was not... "technically" real. Wink

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!
Might wanna keep the Prof away from the reality controls though, I hear he'll do anything for frosting. Don't want the lake turning into a lake of sugary-goodness.... actually on second thoughts thats not a bad idea Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool dream. Cool

Lighting the lake is something that was discussed even during prologue, it was mentioned as a possibility by the DRC on D'mala, RAWA posted his thoughts about how it could work at the DRC website, yet in the end Cyan messed up badly. And I just don't understand why. They have had a plan for the lake since prologue, and people have been looking forward to it since prologue, and yet it turns out to be a failure, just like the Great Zero. I had confidence that Cyan had learnt from their mistake with the Great Zero, but I was disappointed.

Sure, Cyan is low on resources, we know that... But this was their dream, and our dream, they shouldn't have messed up something that important. I get the impression that Cyan finally learnt to act as a company, to my displeasure... Communication has been had throughout the whole year, and while I thought it was just because they were so busy, even know the silence and officialness is still there and it's frustrating me.

Uru wasn't just Cyan's dream, but our dream as well. We put so much into Uru. I think we have the right to know what happens next after Uru is closed. I think it's time that Cyan drops some of that officialness towards us.

Sorry for this little rant, I'll post some positive thoughts later today to compensate. Laughing
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcosgrove wrote:
Yay!
Might wanna keep the Prof away from the reality controls though, I hear he'll do anything for frosting. Don't want the lake turning into a lake of sugary-goodness.... actually on second thoughts thats not a bad idea Very Happy

Is that why the Great Arch has always reminded me of a birthday candle?

Mmmmm....Lake Frosting.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
I think it's time that Cyan drops some of that officialness towards us.

In my opinion it is no longer up to Cyan to give the officialness towards us. Cyan dropped the ball. We should pick it up.

That is why I'm so eager to see a TGT Age be made. Very Happy
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, Dan... and I can't wait to see and explore this age as well...

Though I don't believe, that Cyan really dropped the ball once for all, more for the time being... Razz

I also love your dream, Dan, and I believe there's something in it...
there's more to it than a mental processing of a sweet dreamer... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: