The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

(Feb 2008) End of Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: (Feb 2008) End of Project Reply with quote

A month ago, Moiety Jean asked if I would still complete the Prologue Documentaries if MOUL shut down.

At first I said yes... then I wavered... and said it would depend on the support from the Great Tree. But not faced with making a decision at the moment, I didn't put any further thought into what I said.

While I would liked to have completed this project, I do not think that it will be possible. I renewed my subscription in November, for a year of GameTap, directly after the completion of Season 1. Given the circumstances, I would like to recover the money I gave to GameTap in November for the non-existent continuation of Myst Online. My best opportunity to obtain a refund will be if I ask for cancellation of my account immediately upon the news that MOUL is closing.

And so, I apologize that I won't be able to continue this project. I value the time that everyone put into making these documentaries possible. First props to Professor Askew, Moiety Jean, Rils, Mystlander, Eleri, ireeenquench, janaba, Amarok, Annick, Leonardo, and Erik for all of their work on scripts and contacting people and translating. Further props to all of the explorers who participated as actors, especially members of Cavern Communications Network who really helped out when I needed extra actors. If I have missed anyone in this list, I also apologize for that.

Last edited by Durin Mephit on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sooo sorry, Marten, that you have to make such a decision,
and it must have been very difficult if not heartbreaking after such
efforts and such a deep dedication... soooo much energy went into
this all...

You have given the community as a whole and so many people so
much tirelessly... I thank you so much for that as of myself and in
behalf of everybody...

I'm thankful to have met somebody like you... you're really great...

Blessings Love and Light

Jana Very Happy
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten, I totally understand. It's a tough emotional state to have to make a decision like this in, feeling like you have a deadline.

I feel like we did a good job, even if it never was finished. We (you) made something of value to many, and that fact won't ever be erased by cancellation notices.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We.

This was not my project. It was ours.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... I knew you would say something like this... lol...

I was already thinking about an "Edit" note... Cool

This was an homage, a tribute just for you Marten,
of course I know, esteem and appreciate this as a
collective project... Kudos!!! /salute and thanks to all!!!... Very Happy

/rushes off to sleep finally... Wink
Sa'rUK
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too want to say thanks for you and everyone else for putting sooo much into this. It's still very valuable and I can tell you that I for one will look at what's been created every once in a while..

Again, thanks..

The Lowly Veteran Explorer???
MO:ULagain KI:
Ian [Atrus]
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* Even if you cancel your regular account, there would still be ways for you to get inside the game and film whatever you need to film if you want to complete the project. *cough*
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me stands up and claps for everyone worked on the project (but especially Marten Wink )
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so there was another blow...

I'm really sorry you feel like that now... With yesterday's announcement, everything seems to fall down as a house of cards. Crying or Very sad

I think it's a shame to leave the project unfinished... I really want to tell the story. I want people not to forget what happened. Uru means so much to us.

Can't we just release the episodes in another format? The Egg Room episode was almost finished, and you put so much work on it, you can't just leave it! Sad

Perhaps you could make summary videos of episodes 8, 10 and 11? Showing some pictures with a text summary that shows what happened. Perhaps you could even add a summary of 8 at the beginning of 9, and a summary of 10 (as a result of all this, Doug lost his Pub, etc). We could tell episode 11 as some sort of sideshow with pictures and text. Some months ago I was experimenting with Uru:ABM, and I found a way to hack it to even let it display the smoke on the Guild Hall.

As for filming on MOUL, I'd be more than happy to create a sub-account for you. I will stay until MOUL officially closes I think. I will stay to get my stuff together, make some final pics... etc...

If you really don't want to continue it, then you shouldn't. I also realise that it may be too painful to continue with the project. It's your choice and I'll respect that. I'm glad to have worked with you all on this. And I would like to thank you, Marten, for all the work you put into this. I feel proud that I have contributed to this project.
Robert The Rebuilder
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten:

Although many people have contributed to the documentaries, you are the one that has seen them through to completion. These films are inspiring and belong in a time capsule. But with 8 out of 12 finished, the collection is incomplete.

Even though MO:UL is going down in 59 days, the GoW is still pushing on with age creation, and the GoMa is still helping us find issues. The GoMe still wishes to continue as well. We will ultimately seek out a private server option for multiplayer age exploration. And I recommend that you do the same.

Plus, you can't beat the price of a private server. Wink

Good luck with your GT refund - I and many others are rooting for you.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy to hear that other efforts will continue.

I think there is a place for the Guild of Messengers to continue, and I hope to continue working with them.

Rel.to will continue, although I'm not sure in exactly what form.

However, I must ask that everyone respect my decision not to continue working on the prologue videos.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So be it. Once again, thanks.
Leonardo
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult decision, but yes, I understand your choice.

This experience has been wonderful, the videos we did have a very high quality, we must be proud of our work ( Shocked it seems bad said in this way...Yeesha's lessons); even if they're not finished.
And knowing all of you, the force you put in this project, seeing how people from all over the world can create something so big, is simply astonishing.

Thanks everyone (in particular you Marten Smile)

/doh /me just finished Episode Eight translation

Leo
Annick
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all Marten Smile

Good luck for the Guild of messsenger Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it isn't necessary to say this, but, please keep all your project files and filmed content though, Marten. We don't know what the future holds, and besides that, it would be a waste to delete everything, even if you aren't going to do anything with it, since you spent so much time on it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: