The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Stick a fork in it. Myst Online: Uru Live is done.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Stick a fork in it. Myst Online: Uru Live is done. Reply with quote

GameTap has announced that they have chosen to discontinue support for Myst Online.

http://www.gametap.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=13953
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this in CyanChat and I want to share it with you all:
Quote:
I'm almost sorry that I got to know Myst. I think that, in the end, it caused me more grief than joy. However, I'm very pleased to have met such a great community.

It was great to get to know you all. I hope we can stick together in this forum...

I don't know what else to say ... I'm feeling numb.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a sad day indeed. Although I suppose in the grander scheme of things the passing of a little noticed online game is not something to be upset about, amongst friends I believe it is alright ot admit that I am indeed heartbroken.

Uru was more than a game, we all said it, we all felt it.

It made a home in our hearts and we made a home within it. The great cavern of D'ni played home to a part of us that dreamed of the fantastic, that dreamed of a world where the power of the mind was worth more than all the bombs and gold on our small world, where we could learn to cooperate and where we met truely kindred spirits.

The world may be disapearing, and we feel that in our heartbreak, but our memories of it need not disapear, the wonder need not tarnish and the friendships need not perish.

I will hold the memories of the cavern and what I learned about myself and the world from it with me forever. And when the cavern falls silent again, I may not visit these forums as often I will still visit them so long as they remain up and there are people here I call friends.

Thankyou and goodnight.

Daniel
Kyven
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

I don't know what to say.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised.

I'm cancelling my GameTap account. No sense cancelling it now, since I've got almost a whole other year on it, but I won't be able to visit the Cavern with any of you ever again. This sucks. This is going to be just like Prologue, which I also missed the end of due to computer troubles.

EDIT: I got a refund for my unused year. Customer Support was very nice. That's it, no more Uru, no more GameTap.

Last edited by Cycreim on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan said it quite well. Sorrow, anger, sadly not too much surprise. The great experiment of artistic gaming runs into the bean-counter rock and now we know the answer.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my friends, I don't know, what to say... sigh... Big, big hugs to you all... Sad

I still can't believe it... hoping to wake up to realize, that this was just a bad dream... Confused

Great and lovely words Dan and Erik as well... I also hope, that we can
go on here, keeping the fires burning and most of all remaining the
wonderful deeply connected and grown-together community or simply put
good friends...

Words fail atm, just wanted to say hi and that I'm glad, that we had such
a great time and that I love you all...

I also thank you all for everything... let's see, what the future holds...
See you

Jana Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Chaos wrote:
Dan said it quite well. Sorrow, anger, sadly not too much surprise. The great experiment of artistic gaming runs into the bean-counter rock and now we know the answer.

I think it collided with that rock four years ago and has been scraping against it ever since.

And Jana... thank you for reminding us all what truly was special about Uru. Our togetherness. You know, there are quite a few couples that formed out of this game... Brian & MJ, and Ashtar & gwyn come to mind.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sad, a little numb, and like Cyc, not really surprised. But I also wanted you guys to know that I value all of you ever so greatly and I hope we can still keep a presence here to say hello to each other even once things wind down. I've enjoyed my friendships with you even when we were seeing each other in cavern but once in a blue moon.

I'd like to plan a final meeting or two in the cavern, but right now it seems too much of a sad thing to do, especially for those of us who don't have cavern access anymore. Sad I don't know..

I'm mostly sad for all the effort the community has made to try to build a nest full of wonderful contributions, and now it seems like it will all vanish, without further purpose.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
taniith
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to the forum in a while, and I haven't spent much time with Great Tree-ers recently either, but I just had to come back now. I can't really put into words what I feel right now. I saw this coming, but I didn't want to believe it.

I feel like I wasted the time I had since Uru restarted, and so I would certainly try to show up to any final meetings anyone here might propose. Even though, as I said, I've been scarce, I still will miss seeing you guys in the cavern (again), and I wish everyone the best once that 60 day mark rolls around.

Who knows... maybe I'll start being active on the forums again.....

-Taniith
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience unsubscribing has not been as easy as Cycreim's. Phone support was down for the evening, so I went through the online chat system. So very nice that the system does not permit the highlighting of text to save it. So, I took screen captures.

Quote:

James says, All right, I have sent that to our billing department. It can take up to 60 days for it to go through but you will be getting a pro-rated amount from the final day URU is online.
James says, Your interaction Number is: <removed>
You say, No, I want a refund starting from November.
James says, Is there anything else I can help you with today?
You say, I am not happy with a pro-rated refund.
James says, I'm sorry, but that's all we can do. I'll put a noet that you would like the refund to November, but chances are that the billing department will not approve the refund.
You say, I will contest with my credit card if I do not receive a complete refund.
You say, I renewed right after Season 1 ended. All monies paid to GameTap were for a 2nd season of Myst Online.
James says, I'm sorry you feel that way, but it doesn't make sense to refund for the service you were able to use fully.
You say, Except that the service did not provide me with what I was paying for.
You say, I was strung along.
James says, Once again, I'm sorry you feel this way.
James says, I have done all I can to get you the best refund possible.
You say, Let the billing department know that it's a full refund or it will be contested. Thanks.
James says, Thank you for contacting GameTap customer care and have a great day!
You say, Yeah, you too.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Final day Uru is online? So they'd like to charge me through the end of March and then give me back the remainder? I'm sorry, but no. And 60 days to refund? Screw that. Money now, b*tches.

I guess tomorrow I'll try calling so I can speak to a real human being instead of a robot.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, crud.

I think we all saw this coming in some form or another... but still, the pain is real.

There are many of us who've been through this twice now. I think the hurt now is worse than it was the first time around.

I hope that some of the forums stay up and active... i really don't want to have to start missing any of you.

I'll be wandering around the Cavern for a bit...

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tomala
Uber Explorer
Uber Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this was how they wanted to fix the unsupported international problem, make us all equals...

Goodbye MOUL...
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I think I will keep my subscription and cancel it when the cavern closes. I think I will need the calm of K'veer in the 60.. sorry 59 days to come. I will post in the Right now thread whenever I enter and leave the cavern so that if anyone is capable of joining they know when I am about.

I am going to miss my Relto Sad

Hi Taniith!

Sorry I vanished last night Erik and Eleri, I was having computer troubles.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I must admit, moving on to another game when I did has taken the sting out of this announcement somewhat. But, I'm with Dan...I'm going to miss my Relto, too. I think maybe I'm going to run into the Cavern and take a whole bunch of screen pics to save and maybe print out in small poster form so I can be reminded of the people I've met and the wonderful places I've been able to visit.

It's hard to imagine that Uru is just going to end up as digital assets in storage. I know Rand is probably exhausted spear-heading his baby but I hope he doesn't stop shopping it around. Who knows, maybe someday he'll cross paths with a distributor with money AND vision. Doubtful but you never know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: