The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Stick a fork in it. Myst Online: Uru Live is done.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
It's hard to imagine that Uru is just going to end up as digital assets in storage. I know Rand is probably exhausted spear-heading his baby but I hope he doesn't stop shopping it around. Who knows, maybe someday he'll cross paths with a distributor with money AND vision. Doubtful but you never know.

I know if I were Rand I would feel completly weary of D'ni by now.

It is an odd thing though once everything is just gone. It is like if you really loved The Lord of The Rings films then somehow one day they were just gone and you couldn't watch them ever again and the only copy was kept in some office somewhere. Although you could always dig out an old early edit of the first film, but that edit (although it has a lot of the scenery) only contains the characters of Gandalf and Elrond, everyone else is missing. Is that an analogy too far? Razz
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, what did you say? Razz
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
I'm sorry, what did you say? Razz

I'm not sure... but it involved Elves I think, maybe Elvis. Not entirely certain which.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What 'nat said

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Alahmnat.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nod Nod.
I just don't think any of us could look at a N'N'uru with any optimism cautious or not.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I could handle another Uru. It is time to move on. I'd like to see D'ni live on as a world but... let's see what Cyan can do when they're not burdened by the lumbering beast that was Myst Online.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. I felt in my bones this was coming, too bad I had to learn of it between meetings while travelling...

I agree with the thoughts that we shouldn't give up on Uru, but it needs a different form than Myst Online. I don't know what that will be though. So much potential was there... The ecology experiments with the Pods, the puzzles that will never be solved, the games that will never be played... Oh well.

To be honest, I think I stopped caring some time ago.

As Alahmnat said, it's time to move on.

Hopefully I can party with you guys one last time before the plug is pulled again.
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting proposal by Papa Smurf:

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14761
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sooo great, Dan and all... I love to watch all of
the developments... What a wonderful community... Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what to think of the proposal.

"Papa Smurf" has a bit of notoriety as I recall. But, trying to look at the proposal with an open mind, it seems well reasoned.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Cyan ran Until Uru with the hopes that the Cavern would live again... I'm not willing to wait Until again. At the same time, I'm worried that D'ni is going to be forever buried again.

Rather than lock Uru away, I'd love to see Cyan hand development over to the fans, while maintaining only veto control and whatever input they see fit to provide the players.

I mean think about it... Cyan runs the servers like they did with Until Uru. They pay one or two employees to make sure the tech on their end is running. Their salary plus bandwidth is covered by a small monthly upkeep fee. With constant content being developed by the community for the community, it might be entirely worthwhile. If Cyan could handle this type of arrangement financially, it might even turn a profit, but I have no idea what kind of numbers they'd have to turn to keep all this running.

In that sense, Uru would become more of an experiment than a proper game... but that would beat the hell out of having it disappear completely.

I also love his suggestion of having an "official" shard and lots of splinter shards in which creativity is encouraged at the expense of realism... the results of these experiments are easily transferrable to the official shard if someone finds a good use for them.

This is such an exciting concept, and I hope against hope that Cyan is open-minded enough to give it a shot.
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think the shard idea with their being an official shard for the canon story would be an excellent idea, especially if Cyan would be willing to adopt patches, features and Ages that fans make.

There are legal and financial concerns, certainly. But my major concern is Cyan itself. Cyan is very protective of their IP, and they have really ignored almost any attempt to bring the community in on things for all of MOUL. I can see them not wanting to give that much control to the community.

I think it might work if Cyan throws their weight behind the idea. But if it's half-hearted support, I am dubious.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this would be a risk that would be worth taking.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some weeks ago I posted that if Uru died, I wouldn't like another UU, but now that it has actually happened, I'm not so sure of it any more. I too am afraid that the cavern might be buried forever.

I think I'd like some sort of Until Uru... Perhaps Cyan could somehow finish the Guild concept and release an Until Uru. So, an UU were the Guilds can be active and Writers can write Ages that are new, unexplored, non-D'ni Ages, written by the explorers like how Cyan envisioned it work in MOUL.

(And perhaps Cyan could automise the lake lighting as a bonus...)

What I don't really want is an Until Uru where nothing can change, where nothing has happened. Then people would start visiting D'ni less and less frequently, until even Until Uru died.

What I also don't want is an UU completely given to the fans. I don't want people making the lake lighter, I don't want people to build something that could be J'taeri. I know the community is very creative, but the D'ni story should only be told by Cyan in my opinion. I do like the concept Cyan had about us becoming the new writers, writing our own links to new worlds. Making a home.
So, I don't want a static UU, but I also don't want a UU completely run by the fans. I'd like something in the middle.

And having said that, I'll just wait until we see what direction Cyan is going to take. According to the SpokesMan review, Cyan is thinking of running the servers by themselves...
I'm not going to worry about the future too much, until there's a definitive message from Cyan about the future. And besides, we still have two months left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: