The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Anyone else obsessed with LOST?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they found the polar bear skeleton in Tunisia I was reminded of Close Encounters of the Third Kind when they found that large ship in the middle of the desert...not unlike the land locked Black Rock on the island. There is undoubtedly some time travel taking place here, or time displacement. This actually works out well for characters like Walt who will continue to age in RL no matter how often they use him or not. Maybe the polar bear somehow flash-forwarded in time. That doesn't explain how it got to Tunisia, though....

So, either Ben had left the island at some point in the past or the new folks had been a part of the Dharma Inititiative stateside. Or maybe they simply worked for the Hanso Foundation. But their reactions to the discovery of flight 815 really has me puzzled. Especially Sam/Dan's. Although it could be explained if murder was done to cover up what really happened.
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is undoubtedly some time travel taking place here, or time displacement.

You've seen the Orchid video, no?

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched that video today... like, whoa, man...

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aparantly it's not a botanical research unit... Shocked
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so rock. I figured out who #4 of the 6 was working for about halfway through.

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually hoping he was working for one of the many corporations that we've been introduced to over time. The truth was just a shade anti-climactic for me. I must say, I was quite surprised to learn that he was #4 of the Oceanic Six. I didn't see that coming. That leaves two to go. I have a guess for both but I feel better about one than the other.

They finally formally introduced the element of time as a factor...time displacement....

That was quite an episode....much to noodle as usual.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but who does *Ben* work for, that he'd go through so much trouble?

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that Ben's list might have something to do with the freighter and the company or companies that employ it since they appear to be the "enemy" at this time. But, that doesn't take away from your question, Eleri. There are many "sides" in this little adventure...especially if the ARGs count.

One of the things that's really glaring at me is the question of what happened to the Dharma Initiative? We know it was founded by the Hanso Foundation. We know Ben removed the Initiative from the island. But, it didn't exist in a vacuum. What do we know about the repercussions of Ben's actions? Anything?
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of TLE answers that, in that we know that the Hanso foundation continues the work, but with much less...ethical...sunshine.

Still doesn't answer whos making the food drops to the Swan though, and if there's been any since it blew up.

CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleri wrote:
Still doesn't answer whos making the food drops to the Swan though, and if there's been any since it blew up.

I'd imagine that there hasn't been a food drop since the last one.

that was an amazingly huge pallet of food dropped for a one-man station... and the Losties have only been there a handfull of months in their timeline. That drop looks like it might have been like a 6-12 month supply of food for one person.

But still... WHO dropped it... and from what? no one on the island heard a plane or anything... maybe the Hanso Foundation does all it's work by dirigible?

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling there's more than one way to get to the island. I cannot believe Ben's only way on and off the island was via that dinky little submarine. Especially now that we know he's an extensive traveler. And it seems you can only really fly to the island by accident...flight 815...Naomi's helicopter didn't quite make...and Frank managed to make it in just barely and Daniel emphasized that he leave using the same path in. But, if you're in the know, it seems there maybe a "secret door" in and out that may avoid certain time and space pitfalls. This may account why no plane was heard during the food drop. Plane flies by and pushes the payload in the direction of the "secret door".

Yes, Eleri, I had forgotten that Hanso was still involved. In fact, I remember now that one of their representatives was on the Jimmy Kimmel denying all things Dharma....and then got himself killed. Hanso plays such a huge role in all of this (seemingly) I wonder if they'll every be brought into the story proper in any big way.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if Ben was really having a runway built on the little island, how did he intend to use it?

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben knows where the "secret door" is and how to navigate it. I wonder if and/or how the magic box fits into all this.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Aron considered one of the Oceanic Six or a ride-along?

Can Ben get $3.2 million out of the magic box? Secret door or not, can Ben get on and off the island via the magic box? As you can see I've got a thing about the magic box. How did they get Locke's father onto to the island?
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ben has his own methods to get on and off the island. And the paths out must definitely involve exact directions and bearings. Also, the boat people had a relatively current picture of Ben off-island.

Recall the boat they sent Michael and Walt away in... "stay on bearing 325" Similarly, dude told the chopper pilot to make sure he went back the same way he came in.

i might buy the food drop drop idea... but all the food was designed to be non-perishable... so maybe the droppers didn't care about time displacement and dropped it willy nilly...

/shrug

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: