The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Planning a new MOUL directory: Rel.to
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to take a peek later. Running out to breakfast now Smile

Here are some awkward little icons, just an idea I had in my head, I'm sure Tweek could do something better.

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tinkering around with mysql on the server so I can start doing data entry on some night. Right now I created a test table of this form:

table entries
id int;
tag varchar(100);
title varchar(120);
parents varchar(20);
url varchar(120);
language varchar(50);

What's the best way to add "alias" keywords for sites (keywords that aren't ever seen by users except, in the future, when we add some sort of admin function to edit an entry through the web)?
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
I'll have to take a peek later. Running out to breakfast now Smile

Here are some awkward little icons, just an idea I had in my head, I'm sure Tweek could do something better.

Awww cuteh little icons *prods the cute little icons and runs off giggling*
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand you about those alias tags... Do you mean a tag that refers to another tag? Or a placeholder tag?

About the database: Perhaps it's easier if I export my database so that you can import it. Then you have the same database structure, and also some example entries. Would you like that?
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik,

Example of aliases:

"tgt" is the primary keyword for The Great Tree.
"greattree", "great tree", "thegreattree" and "the great tree" will also direct a user to The Great Tree, and if a user searches for one of these items, the Great Tree entry should be matched. But these keywords don't appear in the directory or search results.

As for exporting the table, sure, that may be the simplest way. I'll just have to figure out how to import. Laughing

Also, I have another thing that needs to be coded into the script... it should be easy, but your 100 line script is going to get a little longer Smile It's easier to explain in chat.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rel.to is starting to shape up nicely. As I look at a populated database, I'm starting to rethink a few details of the design.

My thoughts are:
* If a user clicks on a 'related link', maybe rel.to should perform a search on that item rather than treat it as a direct link.
* Maybe we shouldn't always show the lighter-colored 2nd level links, but should just list those as Related Links. I'll have to look where 3rd level links are appearing and see what the implications of that would be. There are situations where I want 2nd level links, and situations where I don't. Something to play with someday.
* If an entry has multiple parents, maybe we should list the parents that aren't the "current parent" on that page also as Related Links.

Those are just some ideas to try to make the system look and operate more cleanly. But I'm not a design guy. I'll ask Tweek to poke around Erik's testing site, and I'd like to encourage others to do the same and post your thoughts.

Please comment on the organization of the data, as well as the style. As I set up the database, I have been rethinking some of my original approach, breaking each of the 7 top categories into subcategories. Sites such as DJC, UO, and DPWR are getting wedged into "Communities" or "Organizations" as appropriate, while the various content they provide (Archives, Libraries, Codexes) are being placed into the Help and/or News categories as I've deemed appropriate thus far. What do you think of this approach?

http://rel.to/proto
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you have Spanish and Polish flag icons ready... Smile
es and pl are now in the list.

I think a way to simplify adding aliases would be useful. Something like a line with just a tag, and a new flag field that tells which entry it should alias against. All other fields would be ignored/empty. Alternatively, we could add a field for additional keywords, and searching would match against that field as well. What do you think of either idea? Or maybe you have another solution?
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I already had the first solution in my mind when you spoke about aliases. Wink That would be the most convenient solution I think.

I'd already uploaded a Spanish flag, and I'll now upload a Polish one. Do we really have a Polish fansite?? Never knew that! Smile
Tweek
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UO's Dan'ni is polish.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Categorize this under Hmmm, I thought that might happen.

"alcugs" is a "floating" link - it doesn't have a parent, but I didn't mean for it to be reachable by navigating through the pages of the site. I wanted to see what would happen if I added something like that to the directory. Now I know - it floats to the top. Cool
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to a more final design for the website. I am wondering if it would be good to add a bit of Guild of Messengers branding to the website. What do other people think?

I'm only providing small database updates to Erik now; I have another update I'll send him soon, but that part is more or less done, for now.
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
I'm looking forward to a more final design for the website. I am wondering if it would be good to add a bit of Guild of Messengers branding to the website. What do other people think?

I think it's a good idea.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! Smile

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about it... Perhaps it's better only to use that icon at the official GoME, but then again, the 'official' GoME hasn't done nearly enough to earn the exclusive rights to the icon. Razz I know many people, including Marten, are a member of the GoME, who are doing a lot, but I'm mainly talking about the GoME website here, which one would expect to be representative of the Guild's efforts. So it may even be better to use the icon at Relto as well. It may improve the image people have of the Guild. Wink

Anyway, I'm looking forward to releasing it... Cool
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am asking the Guild of Messengers if they'd like to stand behind it. I think I obviously need their buy-in.

I knew Blade would say "yes" because he's the person that first suggested it. Cool

Some in the community want to see the GoMe pull together more and appear less as a set of disparate efforts. While I don't think the affiliates are going to suddenly become nameless minions of the GoMe system.... they are each invested in their own identites... but I think Rel.to could set an example to share the GoMe brand across the contributing affiliates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: