The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Planning a new MOUL directory: Rel.to
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this is ugly Razz

http://rel.to/redir_events2.html
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is... but at least the structure is there. Wink

My promised thoughts are a bit delayed... I had to work on a Physics project that I had almost forgotten about and I didn't have much time to think about rel.to.

I did think about a few things, but I need to transfer those thoughts from my mind to some readable, comprehensable sentences and diagrams. Laughing
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

I keep changing my mind about how relationships should be represented so your delay is good too. Smile

I think I need Tweek's involvement to help me figure out how these entries should look.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Marten, I revised the database lay-out and put together a script that shows how Rel.to could work in combination with the database.

I used your lay-out and added some PHP to load everything from the database.

The script in action: http://uru.thecitadel.nl/reltotest.php

Database lay-out:

(Oops, I see that I left the URL for the DRC website empty. Embarassed)

Things to pay attention to:
  • Websites and tags are no longer separated in the database.
  • GoME has two parents in the database and on the page, it's under news and also under guilds.
  • There are two "tags" (Official and unofficial guilds) that are added as tags in the database, but that are actually used as headings. The script recognises them as headings, because they don't have anything in the 'tag' field.
  • When you click on one of the top tags, the script start building the entire tree from that point. It loops until it can't find any more children.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erik!

I just got back from a mini-vacation, so please don't expect me to look at this right away. I'll get to it as soon as I can though.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, take your time. Wink
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright.... first, I can say that what you've got is "tres nifty", or tossing out that bad Franglais, it's very cool.

I have some refinements to how I want things to be laid out, but I don't think that'll be any problem. The hierarchal layout format will go away.... everything will look more flat. For example, the bottom level of child links would instead be listed as "Related links" in the entry for their parent, rather than shown as another hierarchy in the tree.

But I *think* that will all be layout details and won't change the database format. I'll post an another update soon showing what I'm thinking.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Marten! Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have some layout proposals. There are two here, and I used excel to build the layout so if you want to flip between the examples, use the tabs at the lower left.

http://rel.to/relto_ex.htm

The first example is intended to work with the current scheme (what Erik has coded). The second example makes forum tags different from other tags, so they get treated differently. The most obvious example of where this change will make a difference is in the "official sites" example.

The (*) item is a placeholder for some option, probably indicated with an icon, that the user can click to expand for more information. It appears anywhere "related links" are found. At the very bottom of the example is a demonstration of expanding "dlf", treating it as a top level entry and then listing one level of links beneath it.

The top level categories are treated a little differently from everything else. For example, "guilds" has a special meaning, it's a "zero-th level" in the tree because "official guilds" and "unofficial guilds" are level 1, and the guilds in those categories are on level 2. When expanding an entry such as "dlf" as shown in the final example, "dlf" is both level 0 and level 1.

One more detail: I haven't really put a lot of thought into this, and I'll defer to Erik's judgement... but in my example, "headlines" lists Myst Embassy (a parent) as a related link. You'll see other places like this, like drcforums referring back to drc, and towards the end of the examples, dlf referring to bgsg and bgsg referring to dlf. My thinking here is to not worry about the parent/child relationship when building trees because we're not going to expand beyond a 2nd level. This isn't really supported by Erik's scheme - but I threw it into both examples for discussion. Are there any problems with this idea? One catch: zero-th level entries would not be shown under related links.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somethin's not working for me there, Marten. That link brings me to a blank page.. ::scratchhead::

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to see if Erik has trouble with it? It works for me in FireFox 2.0.0.11 and IE 7. I don't think it requires Excel to be installed....
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link works for me too, Marten and MJ... Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working for me, although I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't working in all browsers. Wink

Some comments:

The DRC entry doesn't show any related links and the DRC forums entry show the related DRC entry.
The DLF entry shows the related DLF forums, and the DLF forums entry doesn't have any related links.
That's not really consistent. If the "expand" function can be used with all entries with related links, that would mean that the DRC forums will show the parent site when expanded. The reverse seems more logical to me.

The special treatment for forums can easily be implemented. I'll just add a 'forum_child' field to the database. Each tag will then be able to list a child tag that is a forum.

And I'll add an IC/OOC field. Those properties aren't really a problem, that's just a matter of adding a database field.

I think this will all work out quite well with a few adjustments to the code. I think I will be able to update the script during the weekend. Smile
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
The DRC entry doesn't show any related links and the DRC forums entry show the related DRC entry.
The DLF entry shows the related DLF forums, and the DLF forums entry doesn't have any related links.
That's not really consistent. If the "expand" function can be used with all entries with related links, that would mean that the DRC forums will show the parent site when expanded. The reverse seems more logical to me.

If an entry is presented at level 1 (shown with a white box, such as DRC and DLF in those examples), all related links are going to be listed below that entry as separate items, so there is no reason to include the "Related Links" line.

For the entries at the 2nd level (light blue background), there will not be a third level presented so it makes sense to list their Related Links as a single line item. Conceivably, you could remember the level 1 entry and mask it out of Related Links for the 2nd level entries, but in my example I did not go to that level of detail, assuming it would be easier not to add that sort of manipulation to the database results.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but then, isn't the 'related link' to drc on the entry drcforums superfluous? Since it's obvious that drcforums is related to drc color-wise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: