The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Web Design Rates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malakh
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Web Design Rates Reply with quote

So I know we have a few web designers around here so I have a question. I have someone asking me to do some web design and I have no idea how much or by what measure I should define the rates.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a friend or just someone who knows you do this kind of work?
Malakh
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Co-worker. Kinda somewhere between the 2 options you mentioned.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't charge anyone I knew in order to avoid any possible complications later on.

OR I would charge an unGodly amount in the hopes of them turning the job down.

Remember, two of the main areas to look out for in this kind of transaction is, are they requesting a deadline from you? Is it something that you can live with? And secondly, are they going to keep coming back to you to tweak it forever?

If the page is something simple, simple...basic html with a simple style sheet, I'd probably come up with a flat fee that you can live with, do the job, then wash your hands of it. If it's more complicated, you might want to consider an hourly fee you can live with.

The most important thing in the transaction is clarity. There should be no surprises. You should know exactly what they want and they should know what it will cost them and that the job is done by the mutually agreed upon time. Anything that comes after that is a new job and a new fee.

As far as actual dollar amounts go....I can't help you. LOL Maybe a webmaster here can bring you up to speed. I'm guessing you're not an expert (yet) or you'd know the answer. (Like me!) So, charge what you'd feel comfortable charging. If it's too much they'll let you know and you can adjust accordingly if you so desire.

Hope that helps. Remember....clarity...no surprises.
Malakh
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Prof. that helps a lot. That was kinda what i was thinking. From looking online it seems the average rate I see for a full initial site design and implementation seems to be in the range of $400-$600 most low-end web design. Full blown corporate or e-commerce stuff being in a much higher price range obviously.

Still interested in other input if anyone has anything to add.

Thanks.

Also, does anyone have an experience with sites like CafePress for doing t-shirts and other merchandise? Any good or bad experiences with these types of companies?
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakh, I made a calendar on Cafepress for 2006. The process was straightforward and the results reasonable. A friend set up the Cafepress account. I made and uploaded the 13 images. A few friends ordered calendars and liked them. I ordered a batch and thought they were too dark, so I called Cafepress about this. The customer service person was polite, and said they'd change some settings and send me a sample. The sample looked much better, so they reprinted the whole batch and sent them at no charge.

The Cafepress site sold 5 calendars. I had much better luck flogging them myself: I sold about 80 to friends and co-workers, then gave the money to a program I respected as I wasn't comfortable making money from sand sculpture, which I consider to be a gift.

Would I deal with them again? Yes. After checking other sites, like Lulu, which offers more options for calendar design. Main impediment was the sheer number of hours the image design took. I spent about 40 hours choosing images and making the pages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: