The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Future of the AoG -- climbing out of the hole

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montgomery
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: The Future of the AoG -- climbing out of the hole Reply with quote

Reposted from here, on the Uru Association of Guilds site:

Given this, posted today from Earthwizard ...
uruguild wrote:
Must admit that there is a black hole of leadership at the heart of the Myst World, and I have abandoned the ship my friends for other worlds beyond the realms of Myst. I found Guild Wars with Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall with all its myriad avatars, missions, quests, and styles of play to fit my own needs as a MMO/RPG gaming experience. I've been on it for over three months and have yet to finish the first of the series of games (Prophecies).

Myst was a nice intro for the MMO world, but found the in game experience sucked royaly. The only point of contact of worth for me was the creativity of the forums and the friends I made along the way. The game itself lacks focus and an ongoing storyline that is of quality and fullness. Hopefully someday Cyan will get the money behind them to truly create a Massive Online Game, but for the moment the City of Heroes and Guild Wars rule the day.

I want apologize for abandonig ship for other realms, I'll only say that I am here in the background working with the site as admin but have other priorities (work, family, and other games of enjoyment).

After the AoG meeting and the lack of total response from Cyan and the many other groups within the community, as well as lack of leadership and people to proselytize the AoG I realized this: Why the heck should I work so hard at something that others seem to deride and castigate. I spent over $250 for a good bandwidth multipurpose server and bandwidth for something that I had hoped would turn into a very empowerd set of tools for the Uru community, but realize now that the Uru community likes to bicker and in fight among themselves more than being truly creative and Cyan lacks any formal or in game participation of quality. Oh yes, the DRC is the main tool they use, but even that is of less than superficial nod to the fans.

When I found Guild Wars I realized what a truly Massive Online Gaming experience could be. With the Player versus Environment, and Player versus Player - Guild - Alliance; and the myriad cities and outposts, and missions and quests, I discovered a realm that made Myst Online look like a kindegarden toy. Sorry for the diagnoses, but Cyan has lost me for the moment. Like many others I just became bored with the lack of focus and imagination within the community. No leadership, no center, and no in game experience beyond the ability to repeat the endless round of the already solved puzzles.

If Cyan wants to keep its base then it needs to expand and create a set of tools that will grant people a endless realm of enjoyment. Other MMO's do this very well and provide ways of experiencing that can last for years rather than months of weeks.

As for me being a leader. No way. I do not have the time nor the interest any more.... I've moved on folks...

I'll continue to maintain the site, work with the mods to make the forum a better place but am now working with a Guild System within the Guild Wars world that already has tens of thousands of people who are participants in a truly amazing online gaming system.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors and hope that Myst will survive and gain in popularity, and I'll still come back from time to time as new adventures are added in but my heart is no longer in it and I cannot get it back. I wish I could, but will no longer belabor the point....

thanks to all who have made this online game an enjoyble experience and hope you all find what feeds your soul....

your buddy in the zone, earthwiz Cool

... we need to take the reins in our own hands and kick this horse into a gallop.

Let's talk about it. I propose we in the AoG enlist the help of the D'net and organize a town hall meeting for all of the guild leaders and guild members, and

1) discuss the future of the AoG
2) agree on a direction for moving forward, and
3) (if agreed) start a nomination process for a new group of leaders -- I'd say a committee of 3 would be optimum, but this is obviously a topic for discussion.

Aaaaand, go!
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never actually understood what this whole AoG thing was about. I guess I got confused and brushed it all off because it seemed to me that there were several such organizations attempting to gain recognition at around the same time, and none of them actually went anywhere.

If I may toss my personal feelings out there... I am not, myself, particularly interested in an organization to unify the guilds and groups out there. Many individual groups exist, and as Earthwiz said, they don't often get along well together. I think part of the reason for the different groups is that some of them don't care to be part of a larger organization, or to interact much with other groups. The D'net already is in place to distribute news and organize meetings among the in-character groups.

But I feel like I'm missing the point somehow. Maybe somebody could illuminate things for me a little.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may offer my opinion: I think the AoG is... as politely as I can put it... ahead of its time.

I do not see where there is a space for an AoG when there isn't much space for Guilds at all, yet.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is not, if I may say this straight away, the AoG or any other Guild. I'm afraid that the situation is more worse than many of us are maybe ready to realize,
as far as I understood what Earthwizard wanted to express. So I'd like to emphasize the points that made me think like that and chimed the bells:

Earthwizard wrote:
Myst was a nice intro for the MMO world, but found the in game experience sucked royaly.

The only point of contact of worth for me was the creativity of the forums and the friends I made along the way...
When I found Guild Wars I realized what a truly Massive Online Gaming experience could be... and the myriad cities and outposts, and missions and quests,

I discovered a realm that made Myst Online look like a kindegarden toy......
...and no in game experience beyond the ability to repeat the endless round of the already solved puzzles....

If Cyan wants to keep its base then it needs to expand and create a set of tools that will grant people a endless realm of enjoyment.
Other MMO's do this very well and provide ways of experiencing that can last for years rather than months of weeks...
...that already has tens of thousands of people who are participants in a truly amazing online gaming system...

Puuhhh... that's heavy stuff... I hope that not too many are feeling like that, but this cannot be ignored...it could be ...
And Earthwizard is/was a well known explorer, who left this official statement cause he really cares from the heart.
Others, e.g. newcomers, but even explorers, that kept the line over the years, may think and act like that or in a similar way by leaving without any comment...
I think, that's the point... Confused but, of course, I may be wrong...

One thing is for sure...The hard core explorers like us won't be enough in the long run...

Ok, what can we do? Actually we can do nothing, but reposing confidence in Cyan and the fate of Uru, keeping ourselves patiently and calm and excited... Very Happy
I will do that whole-heartedly... I anyway don't need those attractions and don't need to be entertained by anybody. I love Uru just as it is... hope that many will...
Arionel
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really sad when I see these kind of posts. I'm a newcomer to a certain extent, and don't know what efforts veteran explorers have put in to keep Uru alive.

I don't know what opinion to have. MOUL has been given a second chance, and when vets are giving up after only a few short months after a re-release, hmmmm....at least it's only one voice I hope.

I have seen many ideas for bringing so much into the world of MOUL, some are good, others...well, we just don't see them. As far as groups go, they'll come and go, as well as groups that try to head other groups that head other groups. Survival of the fittest. That's evolution, I'm sorry to say. We're seeing that now in MOUL.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "I'm Leaving" posts are certainly nothing new to the Uru world. meh.

However, this one caught my attention, cuz, well, I can empathize with him.

OOC Warning.

I too discovered Guild Wars last, oh, Christmas time or so. Until then I had never played another MMO besides Uru, and had of course been hearing about games like WoW and GW and numerous others. I thought I'd give one a try, just to see what the hype was about. Guild Wars is unusual in that it doesn't have a monthly fee associated with it - just buy the game for $50 bucks or so and you've got unlimited play time for as long as they keep the servers up! The game has sucked me in, and I share many of the same observations as earthwiz. The graphics are beautiful, and the variety and attention to detail in the scenery is mind blowing. The gameplay is infinitely repeatable, with a huge set of variables to mess with. In all honesty, it's a far better game than Uru.

However, that doesn't mean I would/will quit MOUL! They are two different games. For one, ArenaNet (the company that does GW) has been building that sort of game for several years now, and has a large number of titles in that genre to have perfected their craft. MOUL is the first time Cyan has done this, they are building it from scratch, and are learning as they go. There has to be a certain benefit-of-the-doubt given them.

I have to say that the community here is far more unified than than in GW. There are social circles "Guilds" built around common goals or friendhsips; I've joined one that consists of fellow Uru players. But in general, the public areas are NOTHING like the Cavern as far as friendliness and social interaction go.

I'd say it depends what you are looking for. Uru is an alternate reality game; games like GW are role-playing games. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, and aren't really comparable on a meta-level. I think Uru can learn a lot from games like Guild Wars; I've been half tempted to write them and suggest they play around with that particular game for inspiration. But I also have to realize that Uru hasn't reached that level of development yet, and we need to be patient with them while they work the kinks out. GW isn't perfect either.

So here's to two great games, and to the future of MOUL. May Cyan be successful beyond our wildest hopes.
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear Hear Rils!
DragonMac
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: The Dragon has returned Reply with quote

Well I hate to see you go just when I got back, lol. I just found out, sorry. I played Ragnarok for over a Year after Uru was closed with such high hopes. The continued private effort was good but I felt it would be recycled content with no real future. Guess I was wrong. I have been Playing D&D online but have gotten tired of it quickly since I stopped Ragna in March.
Uru is very different then other MMO's and always will be, it's Rand an Cyan. This is more a social, intellectual MMO rather then RPG hack slash level get rich in game. It is an MMO/SIM where U R U, hopefully, lol.
I am so happy it is back and I will be proud to join the community again. Hopefully I won't have to hang off the bridge again to keep this reincarnation alive.
As far as what the game needs I'm not sure yet but I look forward to exploring all the new content. That was the goal of the first launch to release new content often and keep the world growing. Unfortunately we never got to see that since the plug was pulled before the stream of new worlds and puzzles to solve could be rolled out in a paid online game.
From what I have read so far on the greeter site and others is that things are just getting started and Cyan should have much for us to do in the coming months. To leave now would be foolish since I hope this is as I hoped before the start of something BIG. Worlds will grow, Word will spread, Witnesses will come, and Wisdom shall prevail.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to URU again, DragonMac! Very Happy Indeed, the cavern breathes again, and there's a lot to come in the coming months. See you in the cavern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: