The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

While we wait... Part 2: Talk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: While we wait... Part 2: Talk Reply with quote

This evening, Greydragon invited a bunch of people to his Teledahn.

Before I broke his bookshelf ( Embarassed sorry GD! ), I asked him if he had a request for any future music videos I might do.

He did.

Coldplay: Talk.

Sadly, because of the bookshelf-breaking (actually, I blame vid - he used it just before me), I didn't get to go to Teledahn.

Last edited by Durin Mephit on Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnLynch
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wonder, was this an aborted (thanks to a certain someone Wink) test to see how many people an Age could hold? Or was there something in Teledahn he wanted us to see?
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's just lazy and wants people to solve his Ages for him.

Cool Laughing
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me ROTFLMAO!
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
JohnLynch
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to attack Greydragon's request in my head. There are some good points in this song that fit to Uru in an OOC sense; making it fit IC will be a little difficult. This has me at a loss... so I'm turning here. I think this song would need to show some avatars in a video, not just scenery... the song is about communication. So there has to be people.

Talk

Quote:
Oh brother I can't, I can't get through
I've been trying hard to reach you 'cause I don't know what to do
Oh brother I can't believe it's true
I'm so scared about the future and I wanna talk to you
Oh I wanna talk to you
Cyan's been scared about the future of Uru for some time now. We're still cautiously optimistic, of course. How to begin the video? Can't get through, don't know what to do... pushing the ball up the alley and against a wall in the Watcher's Sanctuary? And what in Uru speaks "future"? Future Ahnonay? Alternate Kadish vault?

Quote:
You can take a picture of something you see
In the future where will I be?
You can climb a ladder up to the sun
Or write a song nobody has sung
Or do Something that's never been done
Still dealing with future here. Is using the KI to take a picture too corny? A ladder up to the sun... could show movement up a ladder in Kadish in the big clock puzzle, or perhaps up from the prison in Gahreesen.

Quote:
Are you lost or incomplete?
Do you feel like a puzzle, you can't find your missing piece?
Tell me how do you feel?
Well I feel like they're talking in a language I don't speak
And they're talking it to me
What puzzle in Uru is incomplete until a missing piece is added? Perhaps a shot of the ring puzzles in Kadish, fading to a shot of Kadish Gallery as a sort of clue? And for the language I don't speak... perhaps scrolling along the D'ni alphabet inscribed in the classroom?

Quote:
So you take a picture of something you see
In the future where will I be?
You can climb a ladder up to the sun
Or write a song nobody has sung or do
Something that's never been done, do
Something that's never been done
Same questions as before. But to add to that... what's never been done before, that is new in Uru? Ayoheek? The Gahreesen Wall? Leaping into lava and linking away?

Quote:
So you don't know where you're going and you wanna talk
And you feel like you're going where you've been before
You tell anyone who'll listen but you feel ignored
Nothing's really making any sense at all, let's talk
Let's talk, let's talk, let's talk
Going where you've been before might work well if that's a shot of walking in the rainy cleft, if a dry cleft is shown earlier in the video. Bringing the video to a close though, feels like it ought to show someone trying to chat as explorers walk past him... or something like that. I dunno.
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your prelim seems very appropriate to me, Marten. I still have Alcug's TPOTS installed, if you need a helping hand. Wink
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've forked the discussion of the next music video from the last one. They were intermingled.

As events have begun to unfold, they have given me some ideas. So here is test #2. Scenes will probably move around, change, etc.

But this is a good opportunity to suggest changes. Please don't nitpick on image quality or brightness or color. I always take care of those before I finish a film. Rather, I'm looking for highly creative ideas such as:

* A better way to scale a picture from the KI to fullscreen, or if I should keep the appearance of the KI, etc.
* What should I place in "Unfinished scenes"
* Should I move the ladder scene to later in the song when the chorus repeats? (I'm thinking yes.)

Ideas bouncing in my head now include getting some SWN footage for use in one or more places.

http://marten.treeweasel.com/Uru/talktest2.wmv (about 4 megabytes)
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... this is more of an abstract idea than something concrete... one of the things I thought was the most interesting about this video was the sequence with the Bahro stone, and the way the camera seemed to move "into" it.

Maybe you could structure the video around the way that talk "spreads" in the Cavern. Talking about new things, spreading pictures, using the imagers... you've already got some great stuff in there, but I feel like each shot should be related to the other in a narrative way.

The video starts at the Cleft... so maybe you can think of it starting with a new explorer, and then jumping from explorer to explorer as they talk about what's going on. So instead of just showing scenes that relate to the lyrics, you'll be showing people showing us things that relate to the lyrics. I feel like though there should be cuts in the video, it should FEEL like a single shot, constantly moving, similar to the way that conversation moves.

At the end, the video could return to the first explorer being at the front of the room at SWN.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some interesting ideas, Cycreim. I will probably incorporate some of that into the finished video, although not the full vision as you're thinking of it.

I feel the song is more about needing to talk, than about actual talking. We, the explorers, need to talk to the DRC. We need to talk to Yeesha. We need to talk to the Bahro. Yet all of these seem like unapproachable entities... and when they do speak with us, we don't always understand what they are trying to say. I feel like they're talking in a language I don't speak, and they're talking it to me.

A few things happened in the past few days that made things "click" for me. Wutt/D'Neile posted a video letter to Yeesha, and I had a conversation with Erik about the bureaucracy of the DRC and how we're really getting even less information from them now than we did three years ago. JWPlatt made a joke last night that we'll finally start seeing more of the DRC after they are done with Marie's burial. And of course, there have been the sightings of Bahro, and the new city stones that have appeared throughout the Bevins.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another test.

I should give this another break and come back to it later. Hopefully this will generate more ideas. I've worked Cycreim's idea in a little... showing different explorers at each step. Perhaps they'll come together at a later point in the video?

This version has no "Incomplete Scene" images. It's a little shorter but feels more coherant.

http://marten.treeweasel.com/Uru/talktest3.wmv
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shucks Marten your Music Vids are always fantastic Very Happy
This new version does feel more coherant and I love the transition into the bahro stone. But I do miss the bahroglyphs on the imagers, that really hit me first time I watched it. Maybe just cause I hadn't seen them in cavern or something. It fitted the lyrics perfectly somehow, but maybe I was the only one who got that. Anyway great work again!
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the imager will probably be back in the film before I'm done with it.
homerjay
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
JWPlatt made a joke last night that we'll finally start seeing more of the DRC after they are done with Marie's burial.

Marie's burial?? Any help on this? I've been trying to keep up with the documentaries vid's that I've been enjoying, getting the background scoop on the DRC/GT. I'm still in the dark on a good lot of the current stuff. Attempted to get into the "old school"/UU cavern, but unsuccessful, therefore I'm outta the loop on the goings on aside from what I can piece together in the forum.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjay: As I said... it was a joke. Smile Marie is fine, she's just very busy on the surface dealing with personal business. She's just been absent so long, some explorers had wondered if something bad had happened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: