The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Where is Rils?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Where is Rils? Reply with quote

I was chatting with him, it was his expedition to Negilahn today... he was outside the pod, said things were creepy out there...

Then Sharper's KI disconnected. Then Rils'. Then Nick's.

Without warning.

Apparently just before it happened, Rils fired off a PM to someone that said "What the..." or something like that, and then poof, vanished.

I have no idea what happened to them. I hope they're okay... keep an eye out, guys.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

um... WHAT!?!

/me links to Nagilahn, beats on the nearest window, screaming Rils' name.

RILLLLLLLLLSS!!?!?

We need a rescue mission! Anyone with me?

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rils is back, he's ok... I'm sure he'll be able to fill you in himself...
Anna Catherine
Folklorist
Folklorist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rils? Report?

*is glad Rils is OK*
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty freaky stuff, from what I've read.
I hope we can get to the bottom of this...but make sure to rest, Rils -- you've seen a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, what did I miss?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the thread at DRC forums. :p

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad all three are okay. I must say I got a bit affraid when I started reading, I was already nervous enough about something happening.

Hope Nick is alright and well done guys!

Take a little break if you need it Rils I know you have a lot on on the surface on top of tracking predators in an alien environment. But be sure to let us know what you find out (if anything ) from the samples.

I agree with what Jean said over at the DRCforums about intelligent creatures being the ones that kill just for laughs.

With every passing month I become more and more nervous about the Bahro and they made me uneasy to start with.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the Bahro. I feel very strongly about that. But, something is definitely going on in Negilahn.

Here's what I said over at the DRC Forums:
Quote:
It's a mystery, alright. And one that won't be solved without some photographic evidence, I'm afraid. I'm not so sure I would have fled so quickly, no offense to Rils. I'm sure it was a disturbing scene to see but not exactly surprising since it was evidence of what they were seeking in the first place: something is lowering the population of indigenous animals in Negilahn.

Now, if the DRC were doing there job, they would close Negilahn until that crack in the pod is repaired. I'm the last one to bark about safety...but they've closed other areas for far less reasons. Now we have an invisible presence who's able to dis-assemble large ape-like creatures without leaving footprints.

We need to get some cameras out there and/or continue the expeditions....in the largest Maintainer suits we can find. Shocked

Yes, I believe whatever's happening in Negilahn is unique to Negilahn. I hope the natural order can be restored there but since, generally speaking, we cannot leave the pod anyway, I certainly wouldn't sweat it if they had to close it for repairs.

If the DRC is looking for volunteers to search the forest I'm your man. I could use a good adventure. And it would present an op,portunity to corner Doug and get some of my unanswered questions off my chest. But, don't tell him I said so. I wouldn't want to "scare" him.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find it odd that the DRC released two Pod Ages with obvious damage to them (from what I hear the Dereno pod has a leak.) The pods are designed with the obvious intention of allowing the visitor to view interesting eco-systems safely and without any danger to the eco-system of the Pod Age or the one the linker is visiting from. Perhaps they have taken a stance of "arrested decay" due to their low budget and man power. All the same I would tend to assume the D'ni had a reason for enclosing the Ages completly.

Now Prof, I respect you greatly but I have never understood why people trust the Bahro so easily. I trust Yeesha's motives definatly but in the Bahro we are dealing with completly alien lifeforms who have been robbed of their free-will for millenia. How can anyone know how a Bahro thinks when we cannot communicate with them? We have no linguistic link to them and language is the basis of thought, in my opinion anyway. In fact the only way of communication I've heard refered to is a method of giving commands to them using symbols! Giving a command is hardly the same as setting up a dialogue and gaining an insight into how they think.

While there is a good chance that the disturbance is localised to Negilahn (although didn't Nick say they were seeing drops in the populations in all the Pod Ages) and the Bahro may have nothing to do with it, I am not going to rule them out as a cause. Perhaps the Bahro (assuming for a moment they have been freed) enjoyed a good hunt before their enslavement.
tetters
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that the Bahro are aggresively attacking the natural wildlife of the age. I mean if they really wanted to, they could link into the pod and gut us instead. Unless the pod is shielded in some way from their natural ability to link. And if they are supposed to be then that crack is a huge chink in the armour...infact any breach for that matter. But from what I've seen, the Bahro seem to be pretty passive species...unless of course something has changed. Confused

Actually...what if the the Pods are slave ages? Where the D'ni trapped Bahro and then domesticated them into subserviance? Like a wild dog for example? I dunno, I'm still catching up on my reading, however is this possible. That what they saw was a "wild" Bahro?

Sorry, I keep coming across new info. Trying to see "The Whole".

Here is another possibility...on the other forums and chat logs I'm reading they are maintaining that there were no animal tracks. As I understand it the big guy was torn to shreds. I also understand that they the "gorillas" live in the trees. Does anyone suspect that maybe those big nasty pink flowers that we are told (At least I was by a Greeter no less) are hidden microphones are not really that. Perhaps they are an invasive species that is starting to grow like mad everywhere. Perhaps, the flowers (if you want to keep calling them that) live off the bodily fluids of other animals which is why all of the organs were found apparently intact but the body was mangled. Kinda like a "juicer" or crusher...I know that sounds utterly gross and creates a horrible visual.

Think about it....Big guy comes climbing down the tree and is caught un-awares by nasty mean evil flower, perhaps it has vines or tenticales which it can use to snare or drag its prey into its maw...and then chop! When it is done...drop the carcass to the jungle floor like a bad habit. Makes sense to me at least.

Who to say that the enemy that Yeesha has reffered to insn't writing invasive species into these ages in an effort to destroy them?

My 2 cents...keep the change.

-Anonymous-

Last edited by tetters on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Tweek
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the pod got to do with it, if the Bahro wanted to gut us then they would do so in the city and every other age in which they have a presence.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade had a thought the other day, while Rils was being interrogated by the masses.

What if it *is* the Bahro, but they're not being malicious? What if some of those animals on Neghilan aren't native species, they're D'ni imports, and the Bahro are doing a bit of housecleaning, now that they have their freedom?

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple, Dan. Yeesha called me to the desert. Something drew me to D'ni at any rate. (I didn't find a brochure at the local travel agent *lol*). It was Yeesha, in conjunction with Jeff Zandi, that sent me on my Journey...a similar Journey undertaken by Phil Henderson, I might add. I never met Phil personally but I followed his progress as closely as I could. He was further along his Journey than me but we still shared a sense of wonder. I was fascinated by Yeesha's powerful ability in the Art. And her story of the Bahro enthralled me.

By the end of the first leg of my Journey I freed a Bahro from physical/mental/spiritual captivity. This act was encouraged by Yeesha. I trusted Yeesha then so therefore I trust the Bahro now. They have given me no reason otherwise in my comings and goings in the Cavern. I do hope to see one soon.

In the context of what is taking place in Negilahn...I am presuming the Bahro innocent until proven guilty. My feeble imagination cannot conjure a motivation for the Bahro to commit such a deed.
tetters
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleri wrote:
Blade had a thought the other day, while Rils was being interrogated by the masses.

What if it *is* the Bahro, but they're not being malicious? What if some of those animals on Neghilan aren't native species, they're D'ni imports, and the Bahro are doing a bit of housecleaning, now that they have their freedom?

Thats a thought too. The D'ni imported them to hunt them for sport. Now the Bahro are trying to remove said species in an effort to restore the native wildlife balance. I like it.

One last thing which I missed the first time...as it was mentioned that there was some scarring on the trees. I like the above theory however, I still maintain its the killer pink flowers. Because by studying them...they appear to "spike" themselves in place to anchor themselves to the bark of the trees. Who to say that this spiking is permanent? Perhaps they can move up and down the trees. I know we haven't seen one move yet...but.... The spiking could account for the scarring of the trees.

Oooo, Oooo!!!! They use their vines like a snare on the jungle floor and when someone or something steps into it, Blammo! you'r strung up like a pinata! But then there would be tracks...

Details are at best sketchy...we need a full unclassified report from the members of the expedition. Perhaps it is almost time to rally the troops and demands some answers?

Very Happy

(I love all this theoretical stuff....its fun to make stuff up as you go along.)

-Anonymous-

Last edited by tetters on Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the Bahro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: