The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Concerning Neighbourhood Invites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetters, obviously you have a sense of humor and that always helps. But, if I were to create a quick, hypothetical checklist of things I would like applicants to touch on during a hypothetical interview it might be...

1) What are your thoughts on Yeesha?

2) What are your thoughts on Doug Sharper?

3) What are your thoughts on Phil Henderson?

4) What did you think of the first Journey?

5) What, if any, are your opinions regarding the DRC?

6) How would you like to see D'ni restored?

Now, you don't have to answer these questions right here and now (or ever, for that matter). In fact, don't. It would just be nice to know that you, or any potential applicants to TGT, actually THINK about some of these things.

The Great Tree is NOT simply a house of fun. (Though we all know how to have fun. Even me. Sometimes. Surprised ) Events in the Cavern often dictate our behavior and if something strikes a nerve as wrong (or not quite right) we will respond.

So, yes, we are fun, but we don't exist in a vacuum. We are driven by our need to explore, to understand, and to assist in the restoration however we can. We are also watch dogs to an extent. If you read the old posts on this forum I'm sure you'll understand.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reply, Prof.

I would also add this caveat - Joining our group may have consequences, for good or bad. We're not like UO, The Meeting Place, etc, which are social-event centered groups. While it's true that we spend a lot of time hanging out and goofing off (and have a blast doing it), we primarily a social club. The Great Tree was founded as a check-and-balance to the Restoration in general, the DRC in particular (at the time), and we still hold to that. Association with our group may change things for you for good or ill, depending on how events unfold in the Cavern, and our members are aware of that and fully commited to our ideals.

That, if anything, would be my addition to Prof's list of Things to Think About(tm). How committed are you to your ideals, and what are you willing to risk for them?

[/melodramaticy]
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
(Though we all know how to have fun. Even me. Sometimes. Surprised )

Lies! Lies I tell you!

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeLakem wrote:
Professor Askew wrote:
(Though we all know how to have fun. Even me. Sometimes. Surprised )

Lies! Lies I tell you!

It's true...I don't know how to have fun.

Psych!

Er, does anyone say that anymore?
tetters
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing and not meant to offend anyone.

To me the expereince as a whole is that, it's just a game to me. I will never take it too seriosuly. It is a game that I happen to enjoy immensely when I get down to it. The charaters are fictional. As an Athiest, the spiritual teachings of a fictional character in computer game mean about just as much to me as the real life evangelist on t.v. Doesn't mean I won't play along though. I love a good story and to play even the smallest part in it can be entertaining and rewarding. So as far as the fictional characters in the game go, I still reserve judgement. Even in real life no one persons true motives are made apparent until close to the end. Are you being told the truth or deceived? In the virtual world of D'ni, it's even harder. Al you have to go on is the words. You don't get the eye movement, facial expressions, inflection or tone of words, etc...

That said,

I trust no one. While I believe Yeesha's motives may or may not be for the right reasons, she didn't do much to help me in EOA. Yet Escher (sp?)was there around every corner at least in the beginning offering insight and being helpful. Did I trust him? Hell no. Dude made the hairs on my neck stand up from the first creepy arrogant appearance. Getting back to Yeesha, for all her words at the end of the game she still expected the tablet would get handed to her. She even said, don't give it to me! Why would she then hold out her hands and risk destroying everything that was "fought" for? A smart and logical person would have said, "Give it to the Bahro so that they may be free!" Don't beat around the bush and play games with me. I can't stand people who are cryptic for the sake of being that way. So to me her thinking on certain matters may be flawed. While her intentions may be for the best, they may not necessarily be right way to do things. Cause if I had given her the tablet, the Bahro at EOA would not have been freed and I the "Stranger" would have been fooked. No happy ending, no justice for the Bahro. Does that make any sense? See, I really liked the Bahro in that game. A creature, dare I say, person or entity that can influence the very enviroment it is in must be powerful indeed. They deserve respect and their freedom. We could probably learn more from them, then the other characters.

I'll reserve Judgement on the other two. Like I said I trust no one. Keep your eyes open and your ears to the ground. I still do not know enough about them to make an educated informed opinion. I haven't "met" Sharper yet nor will I doubt I will ever run into Phil. (Admittedly, I don't sit by my home PC every waking hour. [winks])

I liked URU a lot. Best expereince I've had infront of my computer in a long time. I almost wanted to jump into the game physically and touch the clothes myself. By the time it was done, I wanted more. Thank goodness for the expansion packs and other sequels. For some of the more complex puzzles like the vault code, I admittedly needed help after spending countless hours fretting infront of my monitor. I'm not much of a numbers person. I prefer the more physical cause and effect puzzles. If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!

Like any organization in the real world the DRC will withhold information from the General Population. I'm sure there are things that they know that we would love to know. Mystlander intel the other night help give tiny bit of insight regarding their methods. Hell, they probably check all these boards and pose as members to get intel when we are topside. Ever think of that? I'm sure an intelligent group such as this must have considered that possibility.

How I would like to see D'ni restored is really quite subjective. What I would like to see and what others want is all matter of opinion and taste. Although they could make it a bit brighter in there.... I feel like I need to don my cape and cowel, run around the roof tops, and whisper, "I'm Batman!" I wonder if I can make a Batsuit skin for my avatar? hehe

Definately would like to see more of the city and other ages. Even some of the previous ages that we know exist, however, can't get to. It's not D'ni, but I personally would like to Myst Island restored. Broke my heart to see in disrepair when checking out the alternate endings to EOA.

Anyways take it or leave it. Those are my thoughts.

Whatever you decide, really won't bother me. I'll still muddle around the cavern and break stuff occasionaly. I'm gonna get my ten bucks a month worths that is for sure. If that don't speak commitment on some level I don't know what does?

-Anonymous-
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetters, that's a pretty well thought out reply. Overall I think you've got a philosophy that will save you from a lot of heartache.

Some people take D'ni very seriously. That's unhealthy. Others appear to take it seriously... but deep in their hearts, they're not really that serious. And then there are some who never take it seriously and don't even pretend to. I like to think of myself as being part of the second group. That's really where the Great Tree lives and breathes. We're here to have fun. We're here to play a role. We're here to be part of the story.

Being part of a story means being subject to consequences. You cannot both light the cavern and dim it, and enjoy the result of both outcomes. Some explorers will achieve what they want. Others must inevitably fail, unless everyone can be convinced to agree on what they want. Yeah, right.

Today I saw a forum post elsewhere, in which the writer said that if collecting 12 sparks results in access to something that newer explorers can't reach, she'll quit. That person... is not Great Tree material.

(In my opinion, anyone who complains about the rewards system should go play a MMO game where "DKP" are used (Dragon Kill Points - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKP ) and discover how badly "casual" participants are treated in other places. I'll be blunt: In D'ni, you don't get screwed if you don't visit daily and spend every waking moment of free time there. Now you know why I quit World of Warcraft.)

My point is this: When groups in D'ni attach themselves to causes, the environment becomes political and there are likely to be consequences. A friend may disagree with you; if either of you takes the disagreement too seriously, it will create unpleasantness. If your group allies with one "side" of an issue, and the other "side" holds access to a new area... your group may not get access while others do.

Life happens. As long as you remember to enjoy it, you'll be fine.
tetters
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:

My point is this: When groups in D'ni attach themselves to causes, the environment becomes political and there are likely to be consequences. A friend may disagree with you; if either of you takes the disagreement too seriously, it will create unpleasantness. If your group allies with one "side" of an issue, and the other "side" holds access to a new area... your group may not get access while others do.

Life happens. As long as you remember to enjoy it, you'll be fine.

So am in or what? LOL!!! I keed, I keed.

I actually thought about this particular point and said to myself, "What is to stop me from creating another avatar?" Even going so far as to pose a chick and alli myself with different causes. Play both (or all?) sides of the field and use what I know about each group as intel for each character I portray. Be a real wolf in sheep's clothing. Either for or against a particular group. Wouldn't that be a real kick in the arse. (Should I even be suggesting this idea of mine at this time?) The trick would be to hide your alter ego(s) from everyone else...Remember the Batman analogy, same idea. Bruce Wayne one day Masked Vigilante the next.

Problem is, I don't have the time nor the inclination (I'm a lazy bum) to pull off such a devious yet time consuming effort. [My other Relto would be like the Batcave! I'd take all the hot chicks I've drugged* back there to "reveal" my noble cause. teehehe (*Done of course...only to preserve its top secret location underneath my huge landmark of a mansion.) LOL!]

A rewards system is good for some bad for others. Don't forget that people are paying for this service and they expect to get their money's worth. While the whole, "if I don't get this I quit!" arguement may seem childish at first. Those who don't take the game seriously at all and are paying a monthly fee to play will want the opprotunity to have access to those same features as those who have themselves a affiliated with a group.

Stepping into the real world. GameTap and Cyan is/are a business partnership don't forget. To scare away customers becuase its becoming exclusive to an elite few will only turn away interest and then eventually all interest may die off. Either due to frustration (can't do what the other folks are doing) or disinterest (can't figure out what all the hulabaloo is about and just walk away) Leading a heartbreaking and inevitable conclusion. Logically, they will want to continue to expand and keep the game as interesting as possible for everyone.

Its not as "exclusive" as it was with Until URU. Obviously becuase the game has been launched on-line to the general public. So the casual player or experienced player, right down to the newbie who has never heard of all of this before is now running around in this playground. Keep that in mind.

Just my thoughts. Your choices.

-Anonymous-
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for giving me so much to read, fellers. I'll be back.
Anna Catherine
Folklorist
Folklorist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ummm...I like to play URU Live, hang with some new virtual friends, and learn some new tricks and tips from more "experienced" players. Isn't that enough?

Is it enough?

Those are good things, and they're all really important to the what makes the Uru community is a good one to belong to. But I guess I wonder, if this is your sole purpose in the Cavern (and it's a perfectly valid one,) what is it that attracts you to The Great Tree in particular?

The Great Tree tends to be very involved and, from an in character standpoint, to take the game very seriously. (I would say for most of us, as Marten said, from an out of character perspective that's just how we choose to enjoy the story.) We advocate explorer freedom, sure, but we also take responsibility for fighting "battles" to ensure that the needs of the explorers are met, and act as a watchdog for abuses of power. That can get pretty intense. In some ways it seems to me like the opposite of what you say you're looking for... a more low-key, hanging out centred experience.

So I guess my question is, if your main focus is the social aspect of Uru, why this group? What is it about The Great Tree that leads you to think we're the people that can provide what you're looking for, when there would appear to be other groups far more suited to your wants? Why us?

I don't mean to be negative, and you seem like a nice person, but I am still a bit puzzled about exactly why you want to join.

Annacat
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well, I agree with a lot of what Annacat wrote so I won't expand on that.

I also want to re-iterate what Marten said about the post at the other forum:
Quote:
Today I saw a forum post elsewhere, in which the writer said that if collecting 12 sparks results in access to something that newer explorers can't reach, she'll quit. That person... is not Great Tree material.

This is very true. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it's a silly statement to make.

Now, regarding your statement here, tetters:

Quote:
Stepping into the real world. GameTap and Cyan is/are a business partnership don't forget. To scare away customers becuase its becoming exclusive to an elite few will only turn away interest and then eventually all interest may die off. Either due to frustration (can't do what the other folks are doing) or disinterest (can't figure out what all the hulabaloo is about and just walk away) Leading a heartbreaking and inevitable conclusion. Logically, they will want to continue to expand and keep the game as interesting as possible for everyone.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. You won't scare away new players if you keep an even playing field but you sure as hell might bore a few veterans who are working their butts off to move things along in the Cavern. You don't count on a reward but it sure is nice to have your effort acknowledged. Take part.

During Prologue, as far as I know, no one joined The Great Tree to receive those nifty fleece jackets in Uru. It was just a nice perk for joining the cause. TGT was an important part of the first restoration effort and it was nice to be recognized for it. It was nice to be recognized as an entity beyond the individual. And if everyone plays their part, whatever it is, they, too, will become a factor in Uru. Much better than an homogenized mass of Explorers walking around like lemmings for the next new Age to explore.
tetters
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Catherine wrote:
Quote:
Ummm...I like to play URU Live, hang with some new virtual friends, and learn some new tricks and tips from more "experienced" players. Isn't that enough?

Is it enough?

Those are good things, and they're all really important to the what makes the Uru community is a good one to belong to. But I guess I wonder, if this is your sole purpose in the Cavern (and it's a perfectly valid one,) what is it that attracts you to The Great Tree in particular?

The Great Tree tends to be very involved and, from an in character standpoint, to take the game very seriously. (I would say for most of us, as Marten said, from an out of character perspective that's just how we choose to enjoy the story.) We advocate explorer freedom, sure, but we also take responsibility for fighting "battles" to ensure that the needs of the explorers are met, and act as a watchdog for abuses of power. That can get pretty intense. In some ways it seems to me like the opposite of what you say you're looking for... a more low-key, hanging out centred experience.

So I guess my question is, if your main focus is the social aspect of Uru, why this group? What is it about The Great Tree that leads you to think we're the people that can provide what you're looking for, when there would appear to be other groups far more suited to your wants? Why us?

I don't mean to be negative, and you seem like a nice person, but I am still a bit puzzled about exactly why you want to join.

Annacat

Its all good. I'm always open to intelligent discussion. I thrive on it.

I'll see if I can make myself a little clearer then mud here for you.

It's true. On the social aspect of things I'm there. However, I'm not one to sit on my backside and roll over to play dead. (Even though I said I was lazy. Ignore that bit. Very Happy ) I still like to see things get DONE! Nothing more annoying then aimlessly wandering around that cave looking for things to do. No matter what instance you choose to do it in!

I am aware of your protest to have the barriers removed from the top of the steps. I watched the videos, got some insight. Read some of the board messages, one thread message with regards to TGT not being anti-DRC. So, as far as having a group to belong to, I am not afraid to throw my weight behind a particular issue and support it. Whatever issues arise.

Like I mentioned earlier, I would definately like to see more of the city opened up. I would like to see more barriers removed. More ages opened. If joining a group to add my voice to a collective group helps aid or speed up the process then so be it. I asked myself about this, my only response was, "Hell, Why not?" Dare I say that for purely selfish reasons, like any other human being who is trying to achieve a means to an end. The GT, will provide for me a group with a direction and the motivation to achieve goals that I could not otherwise achieve on my own.

Actually on that note. I am having a hell of a time trying to get people to help me with EDER DELIN!!! I want my bloody well stones people! Help a brother out please! It's almost like you ask people for a hand and you get next to no reply. Do I smell bad or something? Frustrating. So yeah that should further emphasize my feelings about belonging to a group to get things done. I don't want to be a freeloader handing around while other people do the work and I just jump in when the door opens. I did that once...felt pretty bad about it actually. Won't do it again either...I prefer to earn my pay.

I'm not afraid of confrontation or what-ever other BS gets thrown at me. So, when is the next sit in?

-Anonymous-
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetters wrote:
So, when is the next sit in?

LOL.

It all sounds good, tetters. Good replies.

And I'll trade you a Tsogahl for a Delin. Wink
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a bunch of us just helped people get Tsogal and Delin last night. I'm sure we could get another group together.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeLakem wrote:
Actually, a bunch of us just helped people get Tsogal and Delin last night. I'm sure we could get another group together.

Both Ages in one evening? You must have a lot of patience.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we do both of them on the first shot? Oh wait, nevermind, I spaced out once in Delin and didn't press my cloth in time... Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Neighborhood All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: