The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Goings on In Cavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Goings on In Cavern Reply with quote

I have noticed that lately no one has really been discussing the Ages being released. I mean take for example the sudden release of Tetsonot in its obviously compromised state. What is the DRC up to? Is this Cate's influence? Is it really safe? I know we push for more Ages faster but from what I hear the least they could have done in Tetsonot is put up a lamp!
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dcos!

Here on my blog are some of my thought about Tetsonot, just wrote post. I really don't think the pod is safe. For example, the pod is still leaking! And we all know what happens when something is leaking, the water level in the pod will rise...

According to Nick it's safe, but I find it to be disappoint that nobody asked further because I really can't see anything that is safe there.

We know the DRC has limited resources and time, so why did they even start restoration this pod? I would rather have something cool than a broken, sunken(?) pod like this... Rolling Eyes
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One someone else's blog, they point out that people generally feel that if they had a Relto book, they are automatically safe.

The DRC seems to agree. I ran into a woman named Echo last night in the city. She seemed a little... unhinged. I brought it up to a ResEng, and his response was "Well, as long as she has a Relto book, she'll be just fine."

It seems like the DRC is depending on Relto books as the primary security measure nowadays. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some discussion about this at DRCsite (as you know Erik; I saw your post there)... just not a lot.

http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?t=2049

Last edited by Durin Mephit on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Quaxo
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, full reliance on Relto books has me worried. Let's face it, not everyone has the presence of mind to open a book and slap their thigh as soon as they get in trouble. I know far too many flighty people to think that the Relto book is going to work well as a safety measure for everyone.

As someone said on the DRC boards - you can't Relto when you're unconscious, either. This is also a huge problem. What if you misstep in Tetsonot - slip on the ladder or something - and fall into the more than two inches of water, unconscious? At the very least, I think the DRC should be cautioning explorers to use a buddy system or something.

Perhaps an emergency function on our KIs would be beneficial? If heartrate slips below a certain level, those in the Healers group would be notified? Just a thought.

KI:671409
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares if it's safe? It's released. This is the type of thing we've been asking for all along, hasn't it?

Tetsonot seems relatively sturdy, considering it's been sitting there underwater for over 200 years. Seriously, I've been in way more dangerous places and remained unscathed. Smile
Ian [Atrus]
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone pointed out in another forum, the pod can't really be leaking that bad, as the water level hasn't raised noticeably since the opening of the Age. Since there seems to be a constant streamlet of water running to the lower level, I assume there must also be some pumping mechanism that, if not getting rid of the extra water, at least keeps the pod in check for the time being.

Also, either the pod is fixed in position (either by being anchored or by sitting on the sea floor) or it must have some stabilizer that keeps it always in place even when working just with emergency power. This because the linking book links us every time to the same spot, nor above nor below, nor to the left nor to the right: if the pod was free to move, the extra weight and the currents would move it around and we'd be happily linking in the middle of the ocean.

So, it's not tidy and clean, but that doesn't mean it's more unsafe than, say, the lava pits in Gira or the cracks in Gahreesen.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably tethered to the ocean floor and the buoyancy of the pod is keeping the guy-wires taut.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But still... you can hardly call this pod restored. I would rather have had the DRC working on Minkata or Er'cana instead of this pod. Besides the portal, there's not much of interest...
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, it's not "restored", but it's safe, and it seems to have a sort of purpose in the "Portal" Journey, so why not release it? I don't think people will be spending much time there anyways. At least *I* won't be, it gives me the jibblies... Rolling Eyes
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not fully restored, but who's to say it's not restored at all? Maybe they spent the first six months there wearing a Maintainers's suit and oxigen tank until they figured out how to get rid of the excess water. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: