The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

TPOTS Storyline and IC Knowledge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malakh
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: TPOTS Storyline and IC Knowledge Reply with quote

So after 3 years of never finishing TPOTS, I sat down yesterday and completed it. There is some pretty significant storyline content in To D'ni and TPOTS but now I am stuck trying to figure out how this all ties in with the current Live and what is really IC knowledge.

Just wondering how others are handling this. Do I ignore the things revealed in the XPs or do I treat this as a private journey taking while the cavern was technicaly closed, or some other option I have not cnsidered yet?
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly... I think it's too soon to tell.

Once the Cavern re-opens 'officially', we may find that the To D'Ni and PotS X-Packs get included as part of the Journey once again.

Don't discount anything yet... when the Cavern opens officially, I expect we'll ALL be starting from square one again. as far as the Journey is concerned. and who knows where the path will end?

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much of the expansion packs is canon. I know most people have been taking it as at least mostly canon - they talk about Ahnonay and Er'cana.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeLakem wrote:
I don't know how much of the expansion packs is canon. I know most people have been taking it as at least mostly canon - they talk about Ahnonay and Er'cana.

That... *and* Yeesha alludes to TPotS when you complete the first leg of the Journey and get back to the Cleft... something like "the end of the path is now the beginning... and the Journey takes a new shape" <as she turns the Journey 'hand' into the spiral that is the 'shell'>

Also, people don't seem to question that Dr. Watson went a-journey-ing, and we wouldn't KNOW that were it not for the journal in the Shaft that we find towards the end of TPots.

I expect there to probably be a vault wipe when the GameTap servers go fully on line and 'live'... I expect that we all will have to survive the Kemo, Gira, Teledahn, and Gareseen ages yet again... and that after those 4 ages are done, I predict that the little well thingy in Relto with the spinny stones over it will somehow present as a vehicle to take us into the Watcher's Sanctuary to begin walking the PotS.

That's my couple o' coppers.

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite the pessimist. They've said they don't believe they'll need any more vault wipes. I am hoping that is true!
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pessimist? no... just a realist. Wink

I've not heard them say that about no more wipes. If they've become capable of that, then I say "Brava!"

Wipe or no wipe, I still think we'll be on the Path of the Shell at some point...

Malakh
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, Not sure as I am at work, It is on the GameTap info when you launch the game that they say there will be no more vualt wipes.

If not it was on the urulive site (which I can not access from work) that states they do not plan to have any more vualt wipes.

Another point of note is there was a statement from someone at Cyan saying that the TPOTS and TD content would return in the new live but not the same way it was in the expansions. It's very frustrating to figure out what is canon and what is not. As far as the expantions go.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ease my frustration by recognizing there are more important things.

Destruction is Coming!
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Destruction is Coming!

[singing]
Destruction is coming,
the Bahro's getting fat...
please put a penny in the old man's hat.
[/singing]

I am SO glad to be done with Christmas Music for the next 334 days or so...

Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the TPotS stuff goes, I certainly view it as a stage in the Journey (a lesson in patience, if nothing else!). It seems we will revisit those Ages at some point (since Cyan has released internal testing pics of them both), but perhaps the lesson will be different this time around. That's the cool thing about really any journey - you can walk the same path a hundred times and see something completely different on each of them!

Beyond personal lessons, I don't remember that the ending TPotS really advanced teh story that much. We learned Watson disappeared while on his own Journey. We learn that Yeesha was prideful, thinking she could rewrite worlds, and ultimately learned the folly of that thinking (iirc). We learn she is indeed the grower, and that Kadish was a fiendishly diabolical liar (or lunatic). But none of that, as far as I can tell, restricts the current Story being told in MOUL...
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the one thing you missed is what I was thinking of mostly. Yeesha stating that she can link without writing/books and how what corrilates with the Dec. 19th event. Not a huge deal but interesting. The other stuff was knowing a little bit more about what happened to Watson although it is still an unknown in the long run, and that Yeesha is ( or thinks that she is ) the Grower.

BTW I got goosebumps down the back of my neck during the TPOTS end sequence. Good stuff.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakh wrote:
that Yeesha is ( or thinks that she is ) the Grower

That made me smile. Raise that subject IC with me some time Wink
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's the grower of the stuff that makes her think she's the grower. Wink
homerjay
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakh wrote:
BTW I got goosebumps down the back of my neck during the TPOTS end sequence. Good stuff.

Really?? I was sadly disappointed with the ending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: