The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Thanks, Tweek :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Thanks, Tweek :) Reply with quote

... for asking Nick about our jackets.

Smile

http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4786
Tweek
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no prob, will keep asking till I get some answers.
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Cavern, I was having an interesting conversation with Josh Staub... I found an opportune time to ask him about our Great Tree Jackets, and his response was that we first needed to find a private place to meet... that our public Hood was being populated by new Explorers randomly assigned by the DRC to The Great Tree Bevin.

I think our first order of business for the New Year, would be to barter with the DRC, Cate... whomever... to get a private place designated for The Great Tree membership.
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212

Last edited by Mystlander on Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnLynch
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystlander wrote:
I think our first order of business for the New Year, would be to barter with the DRC, Cate... whomever... to get a private place designated for The Great Tree membership.
Speaking OOCly (as I can't see how that conversation can be IC Wink), interesting. Very interesting.
Zardoz
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystlander wrote:

Interesting indeed. And what, pray tell, would the Great Tree have to offer the DRC? Perhaps some "protection service" against the excessive behavior of its own members? Wink (added in response to Marten's quite proper rebuke)

Last edited by Zardoz on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty rude comment, Zardoz. Sad I hope you left out the winking smiley by accident.
Zardoz
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Actually, I did!)

Embarassed

Still, there were some serious questions embedded in there. What would the Great Tree have to "barter" with the DRC? And how would the Great Tree justify receiving a fairly unique asset within the cavern when there are so many other groups of explorers who are equally worthy of being "rewarded" in some fashion? For example, why not give the Great Tree Pub to Toh'mas and the other so-called Choru explorers, who risked their lives making the cavern a safer place?

Given the sensitivity created by the Great Tree's past, I would be concerned about how this effort, if seriously pursued, would be perceived by other explorers.

No wink, because I thought that was pretty polite.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting my bearings down here again, as I'm sure everyone else is.

BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zardoz wrote:

Still, there were some serious questions embedded in there. What would the Great Tree have to "barter" with the DRC? And how would the Great Tree justify receiving a fairly unique asset within the cavern when there are so many other groups of explorers who are equally worthy of being "rewarded" in some fashion? For example, why not give the Great Tree Pub to Toh'mas and the other so-called Choru explorers, who risked their lives making the cavern a safer place?

I think those are very good questions, Z. I think the best answer would be 'We asked.'

Getting an area of the Cavern isn't so much an entitement, it's a responsibility. These areas have to be maintained. Cleaned, small things need to be fixed, etc. And it's a responsibility we want to take on. If the DRC can spare a few mintues to explain a few things, then maybe we can shoulder the burden from that point on.

A lot of explorers have said 'hey, why don't you let us help?' I don't think there has been any organized attempt at offering thst sort of help. And I think, given the Great Tree's place in the history of the Restoration, that it is in a unique place to lead that sort of effort.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Zardoz
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeLakem wrote:
Getting an area of the Cavern isn't so much an entitement, it's a responsibility. These areas have to be maintained. Cleaned, small things need to be fixed, etc. And it's a responsibility we want to take on. If the DRC can spare a few mintues to explain a few things, then maybe we can shoulder the burden from that point on.

Ah, but that's not what Mystlander is proposing (and that's not what the poll was asking before it mysteriously disappeared . . .). The proposal is to ask for a private place, one that enables the Great Tree to restrict access only to Great Tree Members - hence, the proposal as a response to Josh's comment.

My main concern is the precedent this would set, in at least giving other groups the idea of getting their own private place. If the DRC continued this trend, the cavern would soon be balkanized.

Unless you were really thinking of volunteering the Great Tree for roadside cleanup duty . . . .

Litter pickup is brought to you in this part of the cavern by The Great Tree!!
JohnLynch
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slipping back into IC:

Zardoz wrote:
Ah, but that's not what Mystlander is proposing (and that's not what the poll was asking before it mysteriously disappeared . . .). The proposal is to ask for a private place, one that enables the Great Tree to restrict access only to Great Tree Members - hence, the proposal as a response to Josh's comment.
Well if the Great Tree get the responsibility to restore an area, then they'll probably keep it private while restoring.

Zardoz wrote:
My main concern is the precedent this would set, in at least giving other groups the idea of getting their own private place. If the DRC continued this trend, the cavern would soon be balkanized.
I wonder why the Great Tree deserves to be trusted with restoring an area/getting their own private area more then the rest of us. I don't think they've proven themselves to be more trustworthy then any other group (that's taking into account their recent behaviour Wink If I were going solely on their old behaviour I'd say they were less trustworthy then most groups Razz).

Now if they were to do a Sharper and steal a book and hoard it for their private use, there isn't much anyone could do Sad
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zardoz wrote:

Well, this is a curious situation Smile If we did choose to ask the DRC for such a thing, it would really be up to the DRC to decide if they liked the idea or disliked it.

Your concern is well merited though. Now that I put more thought into the matter than before (while the idea seemed "neat" at first), I wouldn't be too fond of a "gold rush" for properties in D'ni. I do believe the DRC would vehemently oppose such a thing.

I think it's inevitable that some group (if not ours) will ask the DRC for a place of their own. If you have any doubt that the DRC will reject such a request, you may wish to point your thoughts out to them directly now.
AztecConsulting
Prolific Explorer
Prolific Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someting will eventually have to come to pass. The formation of guilds or clans is normal in this setting it just remains to be seen how that evolution happens. Will hoods be designated or special rooms where only members gain access...who knows. But I think people will and have naturally formed loose alliances that will grow into the reawakened cavern in some form or another. Helping to shape that growth will be important...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zardoz
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
If we did choose to ask the DRC for such a thing, it would really be up to the DRC to decide if they liked the idea or disliked it.

Hmmm . . . But wasn't this group founded on the principle that the DRC could not be trusted to make the right decisions? A curious situation indeed . . . Wink
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a strong feeling I'm speaking for the minority here. I've been watching this discussion roll along but it's probably time I piped up.

The Great Tree jackets were probably pretty nifty to have and I can see why many members of the Great Tree would like them back. Personally, I'm fine without them. Sure, they're a symbol of why we gathered and I think it's important to not forget the past, but I don't think it's critical to have them to show everyone who we are at this time. If you're a real Great Tree member, you'll know it and feel it. You'll have already internalized the philosophy of the Great Tree and feel a kinship with the other members. What more could you ask for than that?

When it comes down to it, it's a material item. I know some GT members who really value it because of its symbolism, but I know of a few other members and many people outside the GT that want one simply to have an exclusive item of clothing in their wardrobe. Knowing that makes my stomach turn.

Despite what I've said above, I do revere the jackets as a symbol of what we fight (fought) for. That is why I think it's important to not concern ourselves with them until we have a "fight" on our hands. GT members received the jackets three years ago during a battle. It was important to see who could and could not be trusted during that time, and you had to earn the jacket. Very few actually received the jacket, and for good reason. Even I never received a jacket... but I know where I stand now with everyone and where my heart lies.

That being said, let's wait for that storm to come and not go out looking for it before we adorn ourselves in symbols. The time will come when it may be important to wear the tree on our backs again, but lets keep that moment special by biding our time. We can keep the Great Tree spirit alive by our actions in the cavern and our communications with other explorers. Let's remember the past but not live in it--I'm sure there will be new reasons for the Great Tree jackets. We may even have to reevaluate ourselves when that time comes, so let's wait for the tides to roll in.

(OOC: I think fighting for the GT jackets are a fun thing to do for now while there's not a whole lot going on in the game, but I don't want to cheapen the jacket just by turning it into an activity because I'm bored that there's no new content or not much storyline at the moment.)

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: