The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

ALL-GUILD MEETING, 8-20, 2PM & 7PM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montgomery
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: ALL-GUILD MEETING, 8-20, 2PM & 7PM Reply with quote

Quote:
On Monday, August 20th, at 2pm cavern time and again at 7pm cavern time I will be hosting an All-Guilds Town Hall Meeting, in Kirel.

After several very productive conversations with Guild Advisor, Reteltee, he and I agree that finding common goals and working together to pave a common foundation for the five new guilds and all future guilds should be an important first step.

So far, those explorers who support the Messengers, Writers and Maintainers have been gathering on various forums in sometimes heated and always productive debates and brainstorming sessions in an effort to invent these new guilds. And their efforts have yielded many positive results. However there already exist in the cavern fully-developed Guilds of Cartographers and Greeters, whose experience and wisdom should prove vital to helping the other guilds invent themselves. Here is an opportunity for members of these guilds, and explorers interested in helping to invent these guilds, to come together and share ideas, successes, and advice.

There is tremendous potential for cooperation between the guilds, and with the proper common structure to build upon, this cooperation can be facilitated and encouraged. Here are some examples:

The Greeters could assist the Writers by introducing new explorers to their Ages, and assist the Messengers by informing the new explorers of their many services and benefits available.

The Writers could assist the Cartographers by providing specs of their new Ages for more accurate maps.

The Cartographers could assist the Greeters by providing helpful maps to common areas which can be offered to new explorers.

The Maintainers could assist the Writers by providing useful feedback on Ages-in-progress, assist the Cartographers by providing accurate measurements of new areas, and assist the Greeters by leading guided tours.

The Messengers could assist all guilds by providing efficient communication between guilds and by keeping records of meeting logs.

No doubt there will be other important ways in which the guilds can assist and support one another as each guild's functions become better defined.

This meeting will also be an excellent opportunity to ask questions of the Guild Advisor, Reteltee, who has the ear of the DRC. In fact, there is perhaps no better opportunity to get straight answers to those questions only the DRC (Cyan) can answer.

Remember, many of the new guilds are just names right now, their goals not yet well-defined. For those of us who are intensely interested in having a voice in the creation of our preferred guild, this meeting will be an opportunity to hear ideas outside the box, from intelligent and experienced people beyond the tight circle of devotees to our particular guild.

Another important idea to explore is the idea suggested by graydragon and which has gained much support -- the idea that some guilds might be umbrellas under which various groups and organizations can gather. Here is an opportunity to hear ideas and begin to define the boundaries of those umbrellas.

The first meeting, at 2pm will last no more than an hour (as I will be on my lunch hour), but is provided specifically for those interested parties in Europe and other similar time zones. Logs will be kept and notes taken, which can be introduced in the second meeting, at 7pm, which will last as long as people are interested in being there.

If there are any Moderators who are willing to offer their services for either of these meetings, please let me know. Your presence would make my job infinitely easier.

I am also eager to hear any suggestions for specific topics, or for any speakers who wish to address the meeting to please let me know so I can fit them into the schedule.

Please note, everybody is welcome, whether you have chosen to support a particular guild or not.

To keep it simple, please respond here, not on this forum.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not too sure about these Guilds....................
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too....

But I'm very happy for the Guild of Writers Very Happy

What Montgomery says about the potential for cooperation is right,
but very idealistic, though I wouldn't agree with all his examples
mentioned above, but in general it's all a looong way....

I really don't know if people in general are already at the stage
where they can build up such a vast network, that could really
benefit the whole community as to fun/enjoyment of gameplay,
to inspiration, dedication to whatever, creativity...and whatnot...

Creativity in all its shapes and forms, IMO, is flowing in freedom...
hope there will be left enough space...

There's too much to say and to discuss, that would fill books
resp. pages/sites...lol...
So, those are my two cents so far, for the moment... Very Happy
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
I'm still not too sure about these Guilds....................

I share your initial reservations prof, if only because of what happened to the D'ni guilds.

However its important to remember that the Guild systems is a good way of dividing labour for common projects. I think a bit problem with the D'ni version of the system was the long D'ni life span. Its that which stagnated the system allowing elites to remain in power for centuries at a time.

In this community... I don't see any one person or elite holding large amounts of power for too long if its contrary to the interests of the explorer community as a whole.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty said to respond at another forum, not here.

Razz

But really, shouldn't it be a "All-Guild-Wannabees-Meeting" ? If it's truly a meeting of the Guilds, there should only be one group in attendance... the GoG... because no other Guilds actually exist yet, aside from in certain peoples' minds.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Marten, but my comment wasn't a response to Monty,
but to Professor Askew's thoughts and the GT friends... Very Happy
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Monty wants to read what I write he can come here and read it. My comments are directed at TGT.

So, maybe the future of The Great Tree is to keep an eye on the progression of the Guilds. What was Cate's dream? To have the Guilds meet in the Guild Hall and basically run things in the Cavern? This leaves Explorers not Guild-affiliated out in the cold....which is their choice, of course. But, that doesn't make it right. So maybe those Explorers should feel comfortable coming to TGT to air Cavern grievances, I don't know. I DO know that once upon a time there were many people in the Cavern who were less than thrilled being told what to do by the DRC, The Great Tree included. I don't see any reason why these same people would be any happier being "led" by the Guilds.

Interesting times coming.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with you at all points, Prof Askew... Very Happy
Pryftan
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem with the Guild system is that all this stuff is already around, it just needs to be pushed by Cyan into combining under that name, or it'll never happen. The Guild of Maintainers is basically the Guild of Inspectors. The Guild of Messengers has existed as The D'ni Network and TCT and CCN and the Relayers. The Guild of Writers has existed as HuruStudio and Age Builders and Ilathid. The Guild of Greeters, as you note, is already well-established in the cavern and so is the Guild of Cartographers, plus all the people have been making unconnected maps (*cough* Minkata) for a very long time.

The problem is that we have too many pseudo-leaders for any such convalescence to happen. Add to this the amount of new people trying to start their own Guild of Whatever, and you just have a mess. The DRC really should recognize these individual groups.. any nod in their direction, any approval of one of them to take up the Guild mantle, would result in the other groups approaching the first to join and become the Guild.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a good line of thinking there, Prof. At one time we set ourselves up to be a "watchdog" on the DRC, perhaps we can expand that to the Guild system.

While I plan on participating in a Guild myself (we're working on turning the DZS into a Guild of Naturalists or something like that), I don't believe it jives with the purpose of the GT as a group to affiliate themselves with a particular Guild. Rather, our role should be to keep an eye on what's going on and act to make sure Truth and Knowledge, rather than Pride and Power, continue to guide the restoration.
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Guilds will rule D'ni once more.

There are a lot of skills among the members of the community. By introducing the Guilds, there will be a better way for Explorers to work together on something creative, to help in the restoration. It's not about power, it's about sharing your talents with others and turning your talents into something productive.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an optimistic outlook, Erik, and in a perfect world you'd be spot on.

Let me be clear: I'm not against the Guilds. I'm simply saying that I'm not going to go whole hog on the idea just yet. I support people's desires to work together toward a common goal. There are a few Guilds I'm interested in...if I had more time.

But, the fact of the matter is, it's the DRC support that worries me. Distrust of the DRC is old hat, I know. But, nothing has changed over the past three and a half years to change my opinion of them. In fact, it's only soured since Cate's arrival. I hope that the Explorer's who participate in this venture aren't being led by the nose by an "organization" who doesn't seem to comprehend what's happening around them. I mean, what good are Guilds if the Bahro war brings the Cavern down around us?
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note:

Forum discussion explaining the meaning of "going the whole hog": http://p211.ezboard.com/Going-the-whole-hog/fwordoriginsorgfrm5.showMessage?topicID=46.topic

What I like about the guilds is that, although organized by the DRC, they're not really run by the DRC, and I can't imagine the DRC really taking on that role. The DRC is too inept and disorganized to do that.

The guilds are another method of explorer representation. Weren't we for that?
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! There are some "Guilds" among the Explorers already, everyone is able to set up an organisation. The difference with the official DRC supported Guilds is that the DRC can supply us with certain tools.
For example, we've been given Kirel as a meeting place. And remember that Kirel was the DRC's 'hood for a while, but they decided to give it to us and to use just a casual Bevin for themselves.
I suspect that the DRC will have more tools and supplies for the Guilds in the future.

They're only helping the Guilds and supplying them with tools, without any gain for themselves (besides popularity perhaps?).
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both bring up valid points and I will take them to heart in my consideration. Then again, I'm not really taking up this issue from the perspective of Joe and Jane Explorer. If I haven't made it clear, I think this is a wonderful opportunity to participate in Cavern events and projects with some structure. I'm really looking at the big picture. Speaking of which:
Erik wrote:
They're only helping the Guilds and supplying them with tools, without any gain for themselves

I'm thinking along the lines of a sheep/shepherd kind of thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: