The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Seven - "Kidnapped!"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I made a couple of revisions for Episode 6 and 7, but not much. Quite some explorers addressed Laxman by his first name, so that's already informal.
Annick
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a precision, please Wink

The DRC addresses Phil informally. Is this exact ?

Thanks in advance. Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The DRC addresses Phil informally.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 7 Status:
English - Done
German - Being rendered
Dutch - Need to enter translation
French - Need to enter translation
Italian - Need to enter translation
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just watched the final version, as I noticed you already uploaded it on your server. It's great in many ways. The scene at the Concert Hall is also very nice, with Douglas running after Phil, trying to stop him... very different than I'd imagined it, but it looks really real. And the animation where Laxman grabs Phil's book is much better now than it was before.

But... there is one big disappointment. The music! Where did it go? Especially in these documentaries where there is no speech, the music is really setting the mood. In one of the previews you used the music from Laki'ahn, which was so much better. The music provided tension and it really suited the kidnapping scene, where much action and force is involved. Furthermore, it also captured the feelings of the people that were present very well. After all, no one had expected the DRC to kidnap Phil, so a lot of anger was generated among the explorers as well as disbelief about this metamorphosis of the DRC members.
Instead of that, we now have the "Fall of D'ni". The music is very slow, although the kidnapping scene is full of action. The Fall of D'ni is full of sadness, but we don't see sadness in the video, but anger. The music just doesn't fit in my opinion and it detracts from the whole kidnapping scene. Sad

I'm sorry that I have to comment on the episode now that it has been finished, and while the video itself is so great. But it was just like I was watching to another video. I remember that the original music was so much better...

But it's your choice of course.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't my choice.

Legally, I'm not supposed to use any of the Myst V music. Cyan doesn't have the rights and therefore cannot grant me permission to use it.

It is especially important to take this into consideration if we ever want the videos to get mentioned at www.mystonline.com .

If I'm ever notified that the legal situation has changed in our favor, I may consider re-releasing this episode. Right now, I think I'd rather finish the planned episodes and stop spending so much time changing the ones I've released. I've already spent a lot of time working on the earliest episodes to bring them up to the "standard" of the most recent ones.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I understand. Although I've seen a number of Youtube videos with Myst V music and even the Cavern Today podcasts use Myst V music quote often.

I can't believe how frustrating it must be for Cyan that they don't have control over their own creations...

I'm sorry to have criticised you, seeing as it wasn't your choice to change the music.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we could find the author of the Gahreesen Wall music (one of the winners of the original Uru Sound and Light contest) and ask permission for the use of that music.. unless it became Ubisoft property by rights (though that seems silly that the author would retain no rights to the work)...
That music is quite dramatic and could work well for the scene.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up! I spent a few hours this morning doing just that: sifting through the old Ubisoft forums until I found posts with the info on the winnners (since the original ubisoft pages with the contest info and winners seem long-gone and redirect to the front page now), and then I tracked down an email address for Steve Peters, who kindly gave us permission to use his music! If you don't have it, Marten, I will forward it to you via email. I'm excited! It's a very dramatic piece and would work really well for the action parts (and at 2:42, provides more duration than Tim Larkin's music for the wall).

Though I should ask if you think it's worth it, Marten, to go back and work the music in. I know it's more work, but it would be really cool. ::bites lip hopefully::

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make a deal, MJ. If you run the music over the episode and figure out at what point in the track I should fade into it (it will always occur when Laxman joins the scene), so that the cues in the music sync up to the action in the way that "feels" best.

I will then implement your suggestion.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching the episode now. The current music over the conversation sounds just fine the way it is. I haven't gotten to the "action" part yet. Smile Sorry to make suggestions before I've actually heard it. But yes, if I think the new music could improve it, I'll see if it will sync up over the action parts ok...

Edit: whoa! What happened to Daedalus? He got old and has long, grey hair now. I know he's not around, but we know what he looks like.. /scratchhead

KI#44727
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* If Daed wants to look like Daed, Daed needs to represent.
* Don't be dissin' Ktahdn.

Laughing
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. Razz There's just a few people I care enough about to see that people remember them accurately in the future. We wouldn't have changed Brian's appearance if he wasn't able to join in for filming. These vids ARE for posterity. Wink

KI#44727
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well, the best I can get it without having any sort of synchronizing software whatsoever is to have Steve's music start between 14:23 and 14:24 (crossfading with the existing music during the quiet opening portion) so that the first dramatic release occurs when Doug jumps, but then it leaves time at the end where we still need more music to finish out the scene, which we could either do with fading the existing music back up or using the music from the beginning part of the episode. I was hoping it would work better as is, and didn't realize the episode was quite so long. Maybe it won't work out to use this piece. If it doesn't, the action sequences lose a little drama, but they still look good and the music you have sounds good. You're the one doing all the work on these, so I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to poke at it any further to tweak a little more greatness out of it.

KI#44727
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have failed my communication roll. *shakes his dice and tries again*

I'd prefer to keep the time at which the video will start the selected music predefined - when Victor Laxman links in. I don't know where 14:23 is... is that when the current crossfade exists?

What I'm asking for is where in the Wall music itself to fade into that piece. Start at the beginning of the music, or fade into the middle of the Wall music at some specific point?

You should also assume that once the Wall music is playing, it will be looped for the remaining duration of the video, unless you want to return to the same music used during the beginning of the scene.

Example: Look at the episode with the flashbacks and you'll notice that each time the video returns to "the present" (the day of the interview), it doesn't start over at the beginning of the background music. It fades into the middle of the piece.

Last edited by Durin Mephit on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: